Cash converting machines -

(apologies but not sure where to put this)
In my local supermarket there's a machine that people tip money into and get money back - it charges them about 9% I think for doing this...

It strikes me as the most insane thing on the planet to do. You can get the bags from banks for free and put the money into the bank and there's no charge!

Why do these machines exist? Are people that stupid or lazy to think it's ok to pay 9% of their money to have it counted?

Should they be banned? I think so! Or should I just consider it a "tax on stupidity"?

Comments

• Davewils
    Davewils Posts: 134 Forumite
    I have used these machines a couple of times when i was a student and i found them extremely useful.

It was great to just be able to grab the penny jar any time day or night, nip to tescos, no counting required just pour the money in and in a few seconds you've got several quid to spend in the store on bread/soup/crisps/beans (whatever the particular flavour of the month is in the student cookbook) :D.

However, now that i'm working, myself and my girlfriend will sort our spare change out into bags and take them into the bank.

So in summary, for skint peckish students at 3am they're a godsend. But for normal folk they are just something to look at whilst your other half is in the photo booth.

If using one of these machines i, to you, the most insane thing to do in the planet, your life must be as mad and exciting as a box of frogs. :)
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    I fill a jar with coppers and 5ps for my grandchildren and they love pouring the money in and then choosing something from the shop. I wouldn't use it for a large sum of money though.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• preable
    preable Posts: 2,114
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    There useful if you cant go to the bank and need food in
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    poppysarah wrote: »

It strikes me as the most insane thing on the planet to do. You can get the bags from banks for free and put the money into the bank and there's no charge!

Not so - many banks accept no or few coins as deposits. And some (OK business accounts) charge
    Why do these machines exist? Are people that stupid or lazy to think it's ok to pay 9% of their money to have it counted?

Yes apparently - though they wouldn't put it that way. Having no time would be the normal rationalisation. Of the ones that actually realise there is a charge that is.
    Should they be banned? I think so! Or should I just consider it a "tax on stupidity"?

Why do people think that things of which they mildly disapprove should be 'banned'? Why do they wish to micromanage the lives of others? Look deregulation rules OK!
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Many banks have free to use ones.

Thanks - I shall check whether the nearest banks have them and then ensure people know there's a free way of doing it!
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Should they be banned?

No. We should take the labels off everything and let Darwin take care of everything.

I'm sick of bans for anything and everything anyone apparently gets into a tizzy about on behalf of other people.

Burkas? Smoking? Salt? Adverts with blind people in them? Coin Counting machines?

No. Just stop it. (And yes, I do realise how ever-so-slightly hypocritical that comes across as....)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family