Error on car insurance policy

Asking for advice
Bought a car last year
Went on a comparisons website I put my cars number plate in and I paid in full on the cheapest policy
I left it at that until now when my policy is due to expire so I did another search on a comparison site again
And then I noticed that my car number plate comes up with a car that is less cc engine then mine less doors and seats then mine
I doubled checked everything the vin checks out with the log book all matches
Its just the insurance companies have my car down as a 1400cc and I own a 1800cc
As I said my policy is due to expire and I know its my fault I should have checked my details before buying the policy
But I dont know what happens now
What happens to the 1 year no claims bonus ive earned over this year, do I say nothing and just let the policy end and take my 1 years no claims over to another insurance company
Or just start a new policy from scratch with all the correct details
Im looking for some honest advise
Im at a loss

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The correct thing to do would be to let your current insurer know. The worst case scenario would be they ask for more premium if an 1800 is rated higher than the 1400.

Or you could just keep it quiet and go elsewhere at renewal and make sure the new insurer had the correct model.

Your call
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would just go with a different company, if its just a matter of a few days, that way you keep your full one years no claims discount without a charge for changing the car type.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure