Insurance 2 Go Claim / DPD Delivery

Options
Hello

I recently made a claim with Insurance 2 Go for my lost Samsung Galaxy S6, I have had mobile phone cover with these for the past two years. My claim was accepted and a replacement device was sent out.

I received a notification that the package was delivered, however at the time there was no one in at the address. I immediately contacted DPD to find out what was happening and was told that the package was signed for by a teenage male outside of the property.

I live in a busy area where there are houses and business units and a communal car park right outside of my home, therefore this "teenage male" could of been anyone.

I have reported this to the police, Insurance 2 Go and also DPD, but do not seem to be getting anywhere. The police have said that as I never received the package it was not a crime committed against me and advised me to contact Insurance 2 Go to resolve the matter.

Insurance 2 Go initially said that the package has been signed for at my property so they would be unable to help further.

After getting no where with DPD, I then decided just to make a new claim for a stolen phone with Insurance 2 Go, which I am still paying monthly for the insurance. They have come back to me today and said that as the handset was not in my possession at the time of the incident they would not look to cover a claim on this basis.

This just seems really unfair, they have dragged their feet for weeks in trying to resolve the problem, were pretty lazy in trying to liaise with DPD (as I was not the sender, DPD would not deal with me).

Can anyone give any advice on what I should do next? Surely it is the responsibility of Insurance 2 Go as they have failed to provide me with a replacement device due to their choice in delivery company.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    There's another thread about a DPD driver getting a signature from someone who was sweeping the OP's drive.
    "DPD Delivery Issue"
    Might be some help.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    damo21 wrote: »
    I have reported this to the police, Insurance 2 Go and also DPD, but do not seem to be getting anywhere. The police have said that as I never received the package it was not a crime committed against me and advised me to contact Insurance 2 Go to resolve the matter.

^^ This is correct.
    Insurance 2 Go initially said that the package has been signed for at my property so they would be unable to help further.

Nope -- if they are responsible for sending you something, then it is their responsibility to ensure that you receive it.
    After getting no where with DPD, I then decided just to make a new claim for a stolen phone with Insurance 2 Go, which I am still paying monthly for the insurance. They have come back to me today and said that as the handset was not in my possession at the time of the incident they would not look to cover a claim on this basis.

That will only confuse matters. The replacement phone wasn't yours as you hadn't received it, so it hasn't been stolen from you.

I'd write a letter to them headed "Final letter before action" (legally important) advising them that they have breached the terms of your insurance policy by not replacing a lost phone that was covered by your policy. Explain that if you do not receive either the phone or payment in accordance with your policy within 14 days, you will prosecute for damages in the small claims court.

Do this in writing, keep a copy of the letter, and send it by recorded delivery.

If you are not successful, you can initiate legal proceedings for a cost of £30 (IIRC). You can submit the claim online, and find guidance on the process here:

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

As you can only claim for a fixed sum of money, you will need to work out the approximate cost of the replacement phone that would be sent out. If it was a second-hand or refurbished phone, you can get an idea of its value by looking at completed eBay listings.

Hope this helps. In my experience, a short, to-the-point letter like this always does the trick without it ever going to court :-)
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I recently made a claim with Insurance 2 Go for my lost Samsung Galaxy S6, I have had mobile phone cover with these for the past two years. My claim was accepted and a replacement device was sent out.
    I bet you had to jump through a lot of hoops in order to get that claim upheld. The Ts & Cs would have said you must take good care of it, and not be negligent. They would want some pretty solid proof that you applied due diligence.

What if your claim had said :
    "I was visiting a friend's house but my phone battery was flat. I was just about to go in when I realised I needed some milk from the local shop, but being 15:55 on a Sunday, I knew I'd have to run. Not wanting to risk dropping my phone, I decided to leave it with my friend, but instead of gong to the door of his house, I handed it to a teenage male who was outside the property ; and asked him to pass it over. On my return with the milk, my friend said he had no knowledge of a teenage male, and my phone was missing."
    If Insurance 2 Go would pay out such a claim, I'd eat my hat ; and if they wouldn't, they can't expect you to effectively do the equivalent for them.

I'd quote their Ts &Cs back them, using it as an example of what they deem to be taking proper care.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    I'd quote their Ts &Cs back them, using it as an example of what they deem to be taking proper care.

Ha ha. Very funny, but I wouldn't enter into any unnecessary dialogue with the company. It's not necessary, and a waste of time.

The OP has a legitimate claim. He/she wants the contract upheld. That's the end of the matter. And that's the way the OP needs to explain things to the insurance company.

There's no discussion to be had. Comply with our legally-binding agreement or I will sue you. End of story.

Never fails.

And you know they'd do the same to you if the tables were turned!

Life's too short to waste time messing around with professional scam artists.

Both the contract and the law are printed in non-negotiable black-and-white... (and you need to be intimately familiar with both before you proceed to court, but it rarely comes to that -- the letter nearly always does the trick).
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The usual course of action for something like this would be to issue another replacement handset for you, then the insurer to raise an investigation with DPD to recover the losses if they are at fault.

I can see where Insurance2Go are coming from with this (inc. not covering the second claim) however the correct course of action should surely be to indemnify you & then recover the cost from the negligent party (DPD by the sounds of it).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure