Ebay collection only sale

I have an Ikea flat-pack listed for sale on ebay as "collection only", as well as stating I want cash on collection.

I don't have time to return it to Ikea. I want it to go asap, so its competitively priced.

I keep getting enquiries asking me to wrap and post. I'm a busy person, so don't feel obliged to answer these people. My terms of sale are clear.

Someone from the other end of the country has this morning clicked Buy It Now and done Paypal check-out as well. I mailed her to remind her it is collection only. She said she will cancel the purchase. She hasn't done anything, I've been charged seller fees and my listing is no longer live. I'm pretty furious as the buyer has feedback as buyer and seller in excess of 3000 & is hence pretty familiar with how ebay works.

What can I do?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ANNA wrote: »
    I have an Ikea flat-pack listed for sale on ebay as "collection only", as well as stating I want cash on collection.

I don't have time to return it to Ikea. I want it to go asap, so its competitively priced.

I keep getting enquiries asking me to wrap and post. I'm a busy person, so don't feel obliged to answer these people. My terms of sale are clear.

Someone from the other end of the country has this morning clicked Buy It Now and done Paypal check-out as well. I mailed her to remind her it is collection only. She said she will cancel the purchase. She hasn't done anything, I've been charged seller fees and my listing is no longer live. I'm pretty furious as the buyer has feedback as buyer and seller in excess of 3000 & is hence pretty familiar with how ebay works.

What can I do?
    If you domt think they are going to collect then cancel the sale but use the 'buyers address' as the reason. That gets your FVFs back and all you lose is the 20p that PayPal keep.

Also have a read of the sticky thread about the problems of collection only items.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ANNA wrote: »

What can I do?

What can you do? List elsewhere. Gumtree or local free ads, Facebook or similar?

Your buyer is perfectly savvy with how Ebay works, it seems you are not.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What can you do? List elsewhere. Gumtree or local free ads, Facebook or similar?

Your buyer is perfectly savvy with how Ebay works, it seems you are not.

A tad harsh - the buyer would have been aware of the collection only both from the listing and at the point they paid. I've had this done to me and it's very annoying.
  • theonlywayisup
    flashg67 wrote: »
    A tad harsh - the buyer would have been aware of the collection only both from the listing and at the point they paid. I've had this done to me and it's very annoying.

The buyer knows where they stand. They've paid. They clearly didn't want a cancellation, i.e. a collection. Therefore they are more savvy than the seller.

What is harsh about that? It may be annoying but it's a case of the payer knowing more than the payee.
  • soolin
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:56AM
    The buyer knows where they stand. They've paid. They clearly didn't want a cancellation, i.e. a collection. Therefore they are more savvy than the seller.

What is harsh about that? It may be annoying but it's a case of the payer knowing more than the payee.

So if buyer can't collect now you are suggesting OP keeps the money and the goods? Otherwise I can't see what you are suggesting .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    soolin wrote: »
    So if buyer can't collect now you are suggesting OP keeps the money and the goods? Otherwise I can't see what you are suggesting .

No, not at all. Read it again.

I am not suggesting anything, I am being clear that the buyer wanted postage and knew that paying by Paypal meant the seller had to either refund and cancel the sale or post the item.
  • soolin
    No, not at all. Read it again.

I am not suggesting anything, I am being clear that the buyer wanted postage and knew that paying by Paypal meant the seller had to either refund and cancel the sale or post the item.

I don't see what a buyer gains from this though, especially not an experienced one.

OP I am more inclined to think that this was the 'mobile view' glitch that keeps being mentioned on the community boards. Buyers on phones or certain tablets see only limited information which is so badly formatted than even obvious things can be overlooked if buyer isn't concentrating.
  • theonlywayisup
    soolin wrote: »
    I don't see what a buyer gains from this though, especially not an experienced one.

The gain is finding an inexperienced seller. Hence the OP. Some sellers will simply give in and post or let the buyer arrange a carrier as they don't know what to do.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    I'll mention this again - if you are offering a collection only item, and don't want people playing silly !!!!!!s with trying it on with a Paypal payment, just put a typo in the Paypal address...ie gmail.noc rather than gmail.com - puts the payment as an eggtimer and remains unclaimed as the e-mail addrss doesn't and cannot exist.

I find this focuses minds of intransigent buyers who fail to honour a seller's preferences. They will need to cancel the payment their side, and the seller isn't paying any paypal fee at all, even the 20p processing.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:59PM
    If you put the wrong email address the buyer has paid. Whats the point in that?

I would think your more likely to get a negative because they may have to claim and wait for a refund?

The buyer may have viewed the item on a phone with a small screen and not read the terms where its collection only. Thinking its a bargain with postage included.

Add a high value for the postage may deter that, but it may deter genuine buyers who think they will need to pay the postage also.

Not everyone reads the full description.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure