Giving way on a hill

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I give way to things coming uphill as they can't see to reverse. I can.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's still being taught by some driving instructors. I was taught only just over 3 years ago, and I was told about this courtesy rule. Not everyone knows it though as exampled by a diver in a BMW in the lakes who persisted in coming down even though 6 cars behind him were waiting further back at the start of Honister Pass. I'd gone as far to the left as I was prepared to go he decided to keep going, so I put my handbrake on (a foot parking brake in an E class) and he caught a point in my wheel arch, scratching the whole length of his (leased car). He got out of the car shouting at me saying that I had caught him.

I asked him how I had managed that since my handbrake was on so I wasn't moving. I told him he should have waited where the others had waited where there was a verge that I could have pulled on to rather than try and park my car in a wall. Two of his passengers also got out, so I stayed in the car until the passengers got back in. I wasn't going to get in a confrontation with 3 people at once. Got out to exchange details he gave me a finger signal and drove off. His damage was self inflicted, a point I made to my insurance company when I reported the incident for information complete with dashcam footage. He did try and make a claim. He didn't get anywhere. I had no damage at all. Not even a bit of paint.

Insurance company's opinion was that he should have given way since I was going uphill on a single track road, and that my dashcam footage demonstrated that he hit me, not the other way around.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Reversing up a hill in an automatic is a lot harder than reversing down a hill!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    Forumite
    stator wrote: »
    Reversing up a hill in an automatic is a lot harder than reversing down a hill!

Got that backwards? Reversing up a hill in an auto is simple, pop it into R and lift your foot from the brake and it will hold/creep uphill depending on how steep it is.

Then apply the throttle if its too slow. Whats hard in that? Reversing down = no engine braking though.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 1:48PM
    loskie wrote: »
    so ianspencer you are admitting to being unable to drive the large vehicle on country roads?
    Perhaps some further training is required, a smaller vehicle or choose a route that you can manage.
    There are plenty of vehicles that are difficult to manoeuvre and with limited visibility it is considerably less safe to reverse than drive forward. It is not a case of being unable, it is a case of being unwise if there is another option.

RVs are not well-designed vehicles, in this case it was a 5 tonne vehicle based on a Sprinter. Take a look at the rear overhang and the ground clearance of the tow bar. 28 foot long, so what is at the back is a lot further away than what is at the front. Also it was built out for width (check where the wheels are in relation to the body) nearly 3 metres wide, so it's simply a matter of having less tarmac to deal with while needing more to turn because of the length.

When you drive a vehicle that size, you are committed, you can't turn it round if you get it wrong and there are plenty of roads you cannot go down.

https://goo.gl/photos/YQKAFq1CDmcxxxDF8

No animals or people were hurt in the driving of the vehicle.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898
    Forumite
    The things is if people bother to look beyond the end of their bumper, you can often judge things so no one has to wait for long, if at all. On certain roads, a wait is inevitable, and being a firm believer in carma (see what I did there!) I will always give priority to cars going up hill or if any obstruction is on my side of the road.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 4:29PM
    Don't you just love predictive text.

Don't you find it slightly worrying that, now most predictive text is adaptive and learns your likely word choices, IanMSpencer must be texting about assassinations a lot for it to be his phone's first pick :eek:

eta: No Mr spencer, Sir, I didn't notice that. I noticed nothing. Absolutely nothing. In fact, I've never even been on the MSE forum in my life. What's MSE? What's a forum? Internet? Not me, never heard of it..... :D
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I've only been driving the last eight years but I've always given way to traffic coming up hill (where possible and safe to do so).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My pet hate is the lack of courtesy. You know the road, see car a distance away and pull in and wait sometimes for 30 seconds plus and they breeze by without a wave of thanks. :mad:
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    loskie wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I had looked, but couldn't find any reference. It seems rather an afterthought in the HC, though. When I was taught this, it was in the category of 'things every driver must know'.

Good to see so many courteous drivers on this forum :) I realise exceptions must be made for large vehicles, towing vehicles etc (which I why I said 'all other things being equal') but when it's car vs car, I think many people must be in the same organisation as those who wait until the annual service before fixing a light bulb - in a car, driving a car, but not thinking about what they are doing.
    Hintza wrote: »
    My pet hate is the lack of courtesy. You know the road, see car a distance away and pull in and wait sometimes for 30 seconds plus and they breeze by without a wave of thanks. :mad:
    That bugs me too. If the traffic is slow and I have a window open, I shout 'Thank you! You're welcome!' as loud as I can. It alters nothing, but I feel better.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure