PINsentry Calculator device from BARCLAYS

Hello All,

Would anyone be so kind to help me with my Barclays' PINsentry calculator device, I would have two questions:

Does PINsentry read both chip and magnetic stripe or only one of this / which one? I am already aware that it cannot read credit card but only debit card.

If your answer on previous question is either "both" or "chip" then my additional one would be: What exact type of chip does it read?

I called both online department and technical department but failed to get any worth mentioning explanation.

The reason for asking such inquiry is: My latest ( ! ) debit card is inserted and I see on the screen "Respond, sign or identify" Then I press button IDENTIFY and I see the message ''Please wait''

However after that, I get the message ''This card is not valid''

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't know the Barclays one but my Nationwide and NatWest ones both read the chip only, there is no facility to swipe the card in order to read the stripe. I don't understand your second question as it's the chip on the card that you insert that it reads, what else could it be? My readers can be used interchangably with cards from either bank. I suspect that from the messages you are getting either the reader or the chip on that card are faulty - most likely the chip. Get the card reissued.
  • the chip is readable because I tried with friend's chip reader equipment. His software used to read the chip just fine. I was asking what TYPE OF CHIP does PINsentry require? The only logical info I could think of is that the type is incorrect but I need a list of acceptable (by PINsentry) types/kinds of chips. There are different type of chips.

Of course if its readable this doesn't automatically mean it is readable BY PINsentry. Hence my question.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    What type of chip does your card have?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Janko179 wrote: »
    My latest ( ! ) debit card is inserted and I see on the screen "Respond, sign or identify" Then I press button IDENTIFY and I see the message ''Please wait''

Is the debit card you inserted a Barclays debit card?
    If it is, why don't you contact Barclays, explain your problem (and refrain from asking for an explanation of why this problem arises) and ask for a replacement debit card and/or PINsentry device?
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello All,

Would anyone be so kind to help me with my Barclays' PINsentry calculator device, I would have two questions:

Does PINsentry read both chip and magnetic stripe or only one of this / which one? I am already aware that it cannot read credit card but only debit card.

If your answer on previous question is either "both" or "chip" then my additional one would be: What exact type of chip does it read?

I called both online department and technical department but failed to get any worth mentioning explanation.

The reason for asking such inquiry is: My latest ( ! ) debit card is inserted and I see on the screen "Respond, sign or identify" Then I press button IDENTIFY and I see the message ''Please wait''

I doubt if 1 in million of us have a clue what sort of chip we have in our cards or even what the question means

if your card doesn't work in your pin reader then either one or both are faulty and need replacing
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    I doubt if 1 in million of us have a clue what sort of chip we have in our cards or even what the question means

if your card doesn't work in your pin reader then either one or both are faulty and need replacing

Exactly, but I suspect we may be banging our heads against brick walls to try to get this across.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Have you wondered why they wouldn't reveal anything? Any security-aware/paranoid bank could easily categorize your call as an attempt by a potential fraudster trying to troubleshoot his reverse-engineered PINsentry device! As Chino and Clapton have said, any "normal" customer faced with such a problem would just request a new card and/or reader. You'd better hope your account hasn't been flagged for monitoring......
  • Janko179
    Janko179 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 12:19PM
    Vortigern: it is J2A080 (80K eeprom) but i don't know if is version V2.4.2 or V2.4.1 but i am yet to be told which type of chips PINsentry is able to read.

Chino: yes card is Barclays issued DEBIT card. My card works on POS in stores just fine. The fact that PINsentry is responding in a way i described in my primary post makes me think that it is still functional otherwise it would be responding. So i need to solve the case with chip since the card most likely cannot read magnetic stripe. Also i tried to do a test with completely different card, some offshore one issued out of europe. I got a message similar (might not be identical) to ''card is not valid'' so it further means that pinsentry is functional.

Clapton: it means that there is message ''This card is not valid'' and the consequence of this message on screen is that I am not asked for pin.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You're overthinking this for no good reason: just get a new card and reader, problem solved.
  • agrinall i cannot. It took me weeks to get this pinsentry and debit card works in POS just fine. I need to solve the problem, at least to know what type of chip does pinsentry read. From there I could investigate further whats going on. If I was able to replace card/pinsentry, either of them or both, i wouldn't be working so much on this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure