Divorce, joint property, making sense of his offer

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I don't think you realise just how many cards you hold.

My advice (since that is what you specifically asked for) is to tell him that you agree to a divorce only when you have strong, independent and trustworthy legal representation. Payment for that should come out of the matrimonial assets, of which his house and business comprise a part despite his viewpoint or insistence on you doing as you are told.

If for no other reason than that you tend to avoid upset or confrontation, you need somebody strong and knowledgeable on your side and a half decent solicitor will provide that backing so that you don't get bullied into financial suicide.

I suspect that in any case, a divorce court judge would refuse to accept a petition that did not show clearly that fairness and negotiation was in play nor that the action should go ahead without the more disadvantaged party having received any meaningful legal advice.

His demands and commands have every indication that he is a bully and bullies deserve to have their unkind manipulations scuppered.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I think OP has been quite well off so far.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »

Why? nobody (including the OP) know what the husbands worth is. If he is worth 2 million and she has been offered a house worth £200K would you still think she has been quite well off so far?

The husband wont have just being paying the mortgage as he is kind, he will have been paying it as he doesn't want his credit record ruined. As he owns his own business I don't think a ruined credit rating would do him any favours. He will be aware the OP can't afford the mortgage and probably wouldn't pay it, so he has no choice but to pay to keep his credit record clean.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why? nobody (including the OP) know what the husbands worth is. If he is worth 2 million and she has been offered a house worth £200K would you still think she has been quite well off so far?

If that wealth were acquired after their split back in 1997, then yes, I do think that she's done quite well to live mortgage free for the last 19 years.

Do you think OP has a right to a chunk of this theoretical £2mil that he may have earned a decade after their split, whilst still paying for a roof over her head?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • How much is the house worth roughly?
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Lunar_Eclipse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    If that wealth were acquired after their split back in 1997, then yes, I do think that she's done quite well to live mortgage free for the last 19 years.

Do you think OP has a right to a chunk of this theoretical £2mil that he may have earned a decade after their split, whilst still paying for a roof over her head?

I don't think what anyone thinks is "right" comes into it. It's about UK legal guidelines, and the timing of their separation in relation to wealth accumulation will be accounted for.

It's unusual to leave the financial separation so long though; it's been nearly 20 years!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    One wonders how much of the 'theoretical £2 million' he would have had the time and freedom to earn if he had been the one stuck at home looking after 3 young children!
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Lunar_Eclipse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »

Maybe. Maybe not. I can see where you're coming from, but with very little information regarding their financial net worth when they separated, he might not have been that generous at all. Maybe he had a few million tucked away.
  • peachyprice
    Forumite
    I don't think what anyone thinks is "right" comes into it. It's about UK legal guidelines, and the timing of their separation in relation to wealth accumulation will be accounted for.

It's unusual to leave the financial separation so long though; it's been nearly 20 years!

Exactly, the amount of time since the separation has to be taken into account, as does the ages of the 'children' now. But as usual on here, the man is being painted in a bad light, 'he must have done this, he must have done that', with absolutely NO indication from the OP that this is the case, and completely ignoring the fact that they've been separated 19 years and the children are all grown up.

OP has already had a good run of 'spousal maintenance' in the form of having her mortgage paid long after the children have grown up, but some still think that's not enough.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 4:11PM
    One wonders how much of the 'theoretical £2 million' he would have had the time and freedom to earn if he had been the one stuck at home looking after 3 young children!

Assuming the OP wanted residency of the children when they split, possibly a moot point. Conversely, if they'd had 50/50 residency there was nothing stopping OP going out and making money either.

And at 5, 9 and 11, they were hardly '3 young children'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure