Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Options

Comments

• insulation_man
    Options
    hi folks, im a sales manager for arguably the main insulators of cavity wall and loft insulation in the uk, just to let you know that currently the best deal on the market that we can offer is £149 cavity wall ( terraced or semi det ) and £169 for a detached property. similarly on the loft, prices are £189 for a semi detached and £195 for a detached.

one of the main bones of contention that i come across from customers is that these prices are quoted to them over the phone and yet when a surveyor (or tsa,s as they are now called (technical sales advisors) ) performs the survey they are presented with added costs.

if it helps these costs are basically as follows.

extra meterage.-all property types are given maximum meterage under the scheme for instance a 3 bed semi detached house will have a max cavity wall meterage of 95m2 and a loft meterage of 55m2.
    so long as your property falls on or below these measures ( and most standard homes do) then there will be no extra charge.
    however if you home has say been extended and is unusually large and comes over 95m2 cav wall 55m2 loft the excess m2 will be charged at £.4.50 for cavity wall and 200mm loft insulation and if you require 270mm loft insulation then its charged at £5.25 per m2.
    i.e 3 bed semi with 105m2 of wall area for cavity fill would be charged as £149 for the first 95m2 and an extra £42 for the 10m2 excess. so total cost would be £191.

other extras include a £50 charge for safety vents, these are fitted in properties were there are gas fires over 7kw fitted or any open fire/woodburner, backboiler, the surveyor will inform you of any vents which you require and why you need them.

finally any scaffolding which maybe required if there are areas not reachable by ladders is also down to the customer to arrange.

note. ive based all the above information on the current best scheme available and the pricing and maximum m2 can vary from scheme to scheme.
    also note that ALL surveys are conducted free of charge.

hope this is some help please feel free to p.m me and i,l try and answer any questions.
  • jonnybgud
    Options
    carol_a wrote: »
    I removed all the stuff from my loft when they did my insulation last year. It's still in my garage!! The insulation is so dense, (and laid crossways over the joists) that it is impossible to walk up there safely and board it up as I wanted. The house feels warmer though! (had cavities done too) I'm with British gas by the way and it was totally free as I get children's tax credit.

unbelievable...free and you still moan..hey did you want them to board it out for free too....

Insulation surveyor
  • jonnybgud
    Options
    Any advice needed egarding 'free' insulation grants....feel free to drop me a line...
  • bout2bus
    bout2bus Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 5 November 2009 at 3:25PM
    Options
    Any advice needed egarding 'free' insulation grants....feel free to drop me a line...

:money:

Just got our cavity walls and loft done for FREE by going through 'EnergyWise org UK'
    EnergyWise.org.uk
    So grants ARE still available for this if you go through the right people.

Dan
    Telford, Shropshire

• sindersoot
    Options
    I'm in Scotland and looking for a reliable company to install loft insulation. I do not qualify for any grants that I am aware of. The current insulation I believe is minimal. Can anyone recommend any companies that they have used?
  • sherrers
    Options
    I used a company that my neighbour did, they got theirs done for nothing as they dont earn much. I got mine done and even though i work too with a canny job i still got the majority of it free with a grant. I'm over the moon man, the walls done, the loft done and pipes and everything. In and out in no time.
    Company i used was a website called "freeinsulation.co.uk" and couldnt have been better
    :T
  • sindersoot
    Options
    sherrers wrote: »
    I used a company that my neighbour did, they got theirs done for nothing as they dont earn much. I got mine done and even though i work too with a canny job i still got the majority of it free with a grant. I'm over the moon man, the walls done, the loft done and pipes and everything. In and out in no time.
    Company i used was a website called "freeinsulation.co.uk" and couldnt have been better
    :T

Thanks sherrers, I will have a look at their website.
  • sherrers
    Options
    hi guys
    All uk homeowners or private tenants are alligible for cavity wall or insulation grants. these grants are 100% free for over 70's and for people on low wages(under £16k after tax and excluding benefits) and certain benefits,
    tax credits or allowances (including childs tax credit for you mbspuk :) ). All others are still eligible for grants of between 40% and 70%.
    All this info and more is available at the wwwfreeinsulation co uk website. These guys will not only arrange the grant for you they will also arrange the free verification survey (required for everyone) and arrange for vetted professionals to install the insulation.
    hope this helps you all
  • sindersoot
    Options
    Thanks again, I will definitely give them a try. Had been trying via Scottish Power but so far the company they had recommended have failed to either get back to me or keep their appointment:mad:
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sherrers wrote: »
    hi guys
    All uk homeowners or private tenants are alligible for cavity wall or insulation grants. these grants are 100% free for over 70's and for people on low wages(under £16k after tax and excluding benefits) and certain benefits,
    tax credits or allowances (including childs tax credit for you mbspuk :) ). All others are still eligible for grants of between 40% and 70%.
    All this info and more is available at the wwwfreeinsulation co uk website. These guys will not only arrange the grant for you they will also arrange the free verification survey (required for everyone) and arrange for vetted professionals to install the insulation.
    hope this helps you all

I think you will find if you are in the working minority i.e paying taxes etc to supplement the dossers sitting on the contestants row at the window of Weatherspoons for 12 hours a day, you dont get a penny.

I wanted roof insulation and to change a 30 year old boiler, but unfortunately as I am not on the list of benefits, just a provider, I get diddly squat till I'm 60 and only then if the boiler doesnt work do I get a voucher for £300 off a £2500 boiler, whooopppeee cant wait to get old:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure