Couch to 5K support thread.

Options

Comments

• i.love.baking
    Options
    wahooo! completed week 3! Decided I would do the last day rather than miss it and move on but to push myself, I thought it would give me more of a confidence boost. Don't know what came over me at the end but decided that I would keep going after the end of the final 3 minute run to see how far I could go and I ended up doing 5 minutes in one go :) super proud! At least I know now that I can do 5 minutes straight! roll on week 4 :) can't wait!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes I am writing them down in my notebook that I record my runs in so I can look back.

My, running book has spaces for checking every week up to 10 weeks and then monthly, personally I think that's a bit too much and will do monthly. I might start weighing myself every week if I get some scales, at least t I will lose a few lbs first time as no need for clothes when weighing at home :D

I am not sure whether to weigh weekly or monthly. I only have about 10lbs to lose, so i dont expect to see big changes really.
    wahooo! completed week 3! Decided I would do the last day rather than miss it and move on but to push myself, I thought it would give me more of a confidence boost. Don't know what came over me at the end but decided that I would keep going after the end of the final 3 minute run to see how far I could go and I ended up doing 5 minutes in one go :) super proud! At least I know now that I can do 5 minutes straight! roll on week 4 :) can't wait!

:T:j Well done, you must be so pleased!!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 September 2016 at 10:51PM
    Options
    well done Ilovebaking good idea to test yourself ready for the following week, I might try that.

I went swimming was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it, there were only two others in the pool (apart from the bit sectioned off for lessons) it was great. Unfortunately I could only do breast stroke I would have loved to swim front crawl but my goggles don't work (they leak badly) :mad: I am so annoyed its not as simple as getting another pair as they cost over £30! Don't think I can return as I have had them for a while,
  • Fletchasketch
    Options

Fantastic achievement, well done. My excuse for not running tonight was going to meet my 3 day old nephew; definitely beats running but do feel like I need to go running. 25 minutes non-stop next time, eek!:eek:
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Week 2 finished!! :j :T

Oh wow, i found that really hard going today. So much so that i am thinking i am going to repeat week 2 again next week. My legs are always fine, it's my lungs, i just cant get my breath.

Maybe i need to look into breathing techniques while running? Do any experienced runners have any tips?

I did my RHR and weight today. Didn't do the fat % though...a bit too scared to see that :o
    I'll do it tomorrow instead.

Now to have a nice healthy lunch :)
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Week 2 finished!! :j :T

Oh wow, i found that really hard going today. So much so that i am thinking i am going to repeat week 2 again next week. My legs are always fine, it's my lungs, i just cant get my breath.

I find that it is not so much that you can't get your breath but that you can't expel the CO2.
    Try putting in a couple of full exhales every now and again when you are struggling. This is where you breathe out as hard and fully as you can for a couple of breaths. Helps to clear the CO2 buildup when your breathing gets too fast and too shallow.

Also try and get into a rhythm with breathing. For instance I have a 4 step count where I breath in, in, out, out over the course of the 4 steps.

One more thing, try to do less chest breathing and more "belly" breathing. You can also google some diaphragm exercises possibly to help.

PS well done on completing your week :)
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I find that it is not so much that you can't get your breath but that you can't expel the CO2.
    Try putting in a couple of full exhales every now and again when you are struggling. This is where you breathe out as hard and fully as you can for a couple of breaths. Helps to clear the CO2 buildup when your breathing gets too fast and too shallow.

Also try and get into a rhythm with breathing. For instance I have a 4 step count where I breath in, in, out, out over the course of the 4 steps.

One more thing, try to do less chest breathing and more "belly" breathing. You can also google some diaphragm exercises possibly to help.

PS well done on completing your week :)

Thanks Indesisive.

I'll definitely try the full exhale thing, i hope it works because i dont have a problem with my legs at all, it's the breathing that is a problem.

Thanks for the tip :)

I also go INCREDIBLY red in the face. I don't mean quite red, i mean scarlett red, it's so embarrassing! :rotfl:
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    For the breathing part, I found that the breathing I'd done at yoga really helped, as in REALLY deeply and slowly. I do this when I feel like giving up and it really helps.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Hmm, maybe i am doing something wrong, but i cannot breathe slowly when running, i am constantly inhaling...
    I think it may just be a sign that i am VERY unfit :o
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,623 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I also go INCREDIBLY red in the face. I don't mean quite red, i mean scarlett red, it's so embarrassing! :rotfl:

Me too and it can take an hour to start looking halfway normal again
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure