PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Good move. Asking for best and final is just greedy. Offer what you think it's worth and no more!
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    meh...nothing on the market in my area for a good week. It's like a ghost town out there.
    I am forcing myself to reconsider the properties i said no to after viewing. I wish i could be more positive about it all, but never thought it would be this hard as a FTB!

Rant Over
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    meh...nothing on the market in my area for a good week. It's like a ghost town out there.
    I am forcing myself to reconsider the properties i said no to after viewing. I wish i could be more positive about it all, but never thought it would be this hard as a FTB!

Rant Over

The last 18 months has been hard for us too! We started looking in Nov 2015, and here we are - still - waiting for "the right house". Most houses are sitting on the market for ages, but any house we like seems to be sold at or above asking price before we could even think about it.

All I can say is keep up the hope. We could do with a big event to bring some activity to the market, because there's very little supply at the minute!
  • golly99
    golly99 Posts: 454
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Same in the North West, not much new coming on and the odd thing which comes on is seriously overpriced. Have sold ours so it's only going to be a matter of time before our buyers get restless. Missed out on a perfect one as they didn't want a chain..even over the asking price wouldn't do it!
  • pollyannaL
    edited 13 May 2017 at 1:10PM
    argh...things are (fingers crossed) hotting up my end. One of the properties which sold in 4 hrs last month, changed from SSTC to no longer on market on Rightmove. I post a letter through vendors door and also rang EA to say LET ME VIEW HOUSE!!
    The vendor rang me back a few hours later- sounded so lovely!! I feel we are a perfect vendor - buyer match, couldn't tell her that though without sounding stalker-ish. The house is so perfect for me (know i have only seen pics!).
    I have to wait until next week for EA to contact me.....argh.......

will keep you updated!
  • kilby_007
    argh...things are (fingers crossed) hotting up my end. One of the properties which sold in 4 hrs last month, changed from SSTC to no longer on market on Rightmove. I posted a letter through vendors door and also rang EA to say LET ME VIEW HOUSE!!
    The vendor rang me back a few hours later- sounded so lovely!! I feel we are a perfect vendor - buyer match, couldn't tell her that though without sounding stalker-ish. The house is so perfect for me (know i have only seen pics!).
    I have to wait until next week for EA to contact me.....argh.......

will keep you updated!

Do you know why the sale fell through?
  • pollyannaL
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Do you know why the sale fell through?

Morning Kilby,

The buyer wanted to proceed with sale ASAP but the vendor wanted to go slow due to her chain.
    I can go slow/ fast - the only thing would be the expiry date on any mortgage offer i guess. Think on average they last 3/4 months with a 2 week extension.
  • kilby_007
    I officially give up! We saw a house for 315K which needed gutting - rewire, new windows, kitchen, bathroom, fireplaces, flooring etc (the kitchen was original 1960's orange formica!) but otherwise structurally sound. It would sell for about 340K when done up, which would cost about 30K if doing the work yourself. We offered 295K, but the Estate Agent said an offer of 300K would be accepted as she wanted a quick sale. Agreed to go ahead at that, then later that day the EA phoned back to say there was an asking price offer and we would have to put forward a best & final by today. We mulled it over all week, offered 6K above asking but it went to another buyer. 18 months into our search, I'm giving up for a while.
  • kilby_007
    Morning Kilby,

The buyer wanted to proceed with sale ASAP but the vendor wanted to go slow due to her chain.
    I can go slow/ fast - the only thing would be the expiry date on any mortgage offer i guess. Think on average they last 3/4 months with a 2 week extension.

Any news yet?
  • pollyannaL
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    I officially give up! We saw a house for 315K which needed gutting - rewire, new windows, kitchen, bathroom, fireplaces, flooring etc (the kitchen was original 1960's orange formica!) but otherwise structurally sound. It would sell for about 340K when done up, which would cost about 30K if doing the work yourself. We offered 295K, but the Estate Agent said an offer of 300K would be accepted as she wanted a quick sale. Agreed to go ahead at that, then later that day the EA phoned back to say there was an asking price offer and we would have to put forward a best & final by today. We mulled it over all week, offered 6K above asking but it went to another buyer. 18 months into our search, I'm giving up for a while.

What is going on! So annoying. You made a really good offer too. Maybe the other offer will fall through and EA will be knocking on your door tomorrow!

I rang the EA Monday and they said they will ring me when the vendor gets in touch with them confirming the house is back on market...still waiting. Will ring again tomorrow and ask if its likely to be put back on over the next few weeks. Got a viewing for a different house Saturday, but holding back for this other one!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure