Someone keeps keying my car every few weeks!!!

13»

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Recording someone approaching doesn't prove they committed the crime - if the camera sees them approach, something happens, they leave, it's still not proof.

All the OP needs is a face so he can go and have a quiet word. ;)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    missile wrote: »
    I offered my comment to aid the OP. You appear to have no constructive comment and clearly want to argue black is white.

As I said, one can point the camera in any direction. Dash cameras have a wide angle. OP could easily site the camera(s) to observe whatever area of his vehicle is being targeted.

I read a post from another owner who has a similar issue with vandalism. To provide complete 360 coverage all round his vehicle, he installed 4 off cameras.

Your arithmetic is wrong and "Parking Mode" does not = record continuously at 1080P. Quality dash cams (like those I mentioned), do record very good images at night and provide several options for "Parking Mode". The mini0806 offers Parking Mode motion detection and the F770 offers Parking Mode time lapse and auto super night vision. Neither camera would "drain a battery within 12 hours". Both have sensors to prevent over discharge of the battery.

As docmatt said, his Blackvue offers Parking Mode motion detection and he uses a dedicated back up battery pack.

This may help you understand the options available on better quality dash cams > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3KngkXn20

Lovely long explanation which is great were someone hitting his car every night. However, OP has the issue someone is scratching it, not hitting it. Unless they are rocking the vehicle as they do it, the parking sensor will NOT be triggered. Something like the Blackvue with motion detection is a separate feature but their site promotes it with lots of day time videos e.g. the swinging pole, not when it's dark. At night, it requires the camera to see someone approaching and trigger. It requires the dashcam to be able to film at night in great detail to be identify them (the person would almost certainly cover their face) and again, all it proves is they walked by the car, it does not prove the keyed it.

Again I refer you to the OP where they say they were scratched towards the rear of the car - that bit will hide their face as they scratch as it's a solid metal barrier, the fanciest dash cam in the world can't see through the car frame

That is why I provided all the maths, as without it recording it is not guaranteed to pick anything up.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Strider590 wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/31/householders-cctv-public-highway-film
    The DPA contains an exemption for domestic use, however, so a householder who has a camera on their property for their own personal use would not be covered by the DPA even if the camera overlooks the street or other public areas near their home. This exemption also applies to recreational use, eg by using a mobile phone or camcorder.

That report is almost 7 years old and the law has changed since then.
    The exemption referred to (Section 36 of the DPA) no longer applies if privately owned CCTV systems record anything that is outside of the boundaries of the owners property.

https://ico.org.uk/media/1431867/ico-scotland-conference-2015-alison-white-the-citizen-controller.pdf
    •ICO Code of Practice (2014) – “In the picture: a data protection code of practice for surveillance cameras and personal information”
    •Updated May 2015 to take account of Ryneš
    •Section 36 exemption does not apply where cameras cover beyond interior or exterior of individual’s home
    •Specifically mentions that cameras covering neighbour’s garden would not fall within the exemption
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Usually, like 90% of the time, it's old people that do this (surprising I know).

Do you have any statistical proof of this, or do you just dislike older people? Some evidence to back up your assertion would be advisable. Otherwise, this is just another of those baseless "facts" that some posters come up with on this forum.

And yes, I am a Senior citizen, but I have never 'keyed' a car, nor have any of the members of the Senior Ghetto (AKA Sheltered Housing complex) where I live.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 12:15AM
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Lovely long explanation which is great were someone hitting his car every night. However, OP has the issue someone is scratching it, not hitting it. Unless they are rocking the vehicle as they do it, the parking sensor will NOT be triggered. Something like the Blackvue with motion detection is a separate feature but their site promotes it with lots of day time videos e.g. the swinging pole, not when it's dark. At night, it requires the camera to see someone approaching and trigger. It requires the dashcam to be able to film at night in great detail to be identify them (the person would almost certainly cover their face) and again, all it proves is they walked by the car, it does not prove the keyed it.

Again I refer you to the OP where they say they were scratched towards the rear of the car - that bit will hide their face as they scratch as it's a solid metal barrier, the fanciest dash cam in the world can't see through the car frame

That is why I provided all the maths, as without it recording it is not guaranteed to pick anything up.

You really are being obtuse. :naughty:
    A dash cam with Parking Mode motion detection or Parking mode time lapse would easily capture a vandal in the act. :EasterBun

The narrow rear pillar on the OPs Corsa would not be an issue
    The street lights in OPs road would provide adequate illumination
    Perhaps you should buy a better dash cam and a 128GB SD card.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    Usually, like 90% of the time, it's old people that do this (surprising I know).

Do you have any statistical proof of this, or do you just dislike older people? Some evidence to back up your assertion would be advisable. Otherwise, this is just another of those baseless "facts" that some posters come up with on this forum.

And yes, I am a Senior citizen, but I have never 'keyed' a car, nor have any of the members of the Senior Ghetto (AKA Sheltered Housing complex) where I live.

Some people just get a bit crazy in their old age, now I know it's not very PC to say this, but quite frankly NASFWGTD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/13/cctv-appears-to-show-elderly-man-keying-a-parked-car/

I frequent a lot of motoring and car forums, I see a lot of threads about cars being keyed and in almost every case in the last 10 years, the perp has turned out to be some slightly crazy OAP.

I'm stating the facts as I see them and there is nothing at all wrong with that.
    You probably won't find any real stats, because talking about the elderly committing crime is not very PC, we seem to brush it under a rug and hope nobody notices. Somehow we assume that once people reach a certain age they suddenly start acting like model citizens, when the truth is that bad people are still bad people, except that old age often gives them immunity to prosecution, through political correctness.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Asmoosy
    Asmoosy Posts: 29 Forumite
    My car keeps on getting bashed and got keyed and involved in a collision on the same day.
    Iv got a dashcam now and hope that parking mode will catch anybody who decides to bash it and drive off or key it. Although it's only really front and rear.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Check (youtube techmoan's) clip on the parking mode and how little the camera picked up.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    My rear Thinkware Dashcam, recorded a "lady" walking up to her car parked in a car park, then driving out and colliding with my car which was parked in the street opposite. She gets out, looks at the damage does a U turn and drives off in the wrong direction down a one way street.

The video was good enough to identify the driver to the Police. The footage saved my NCD and the excess saved on this claim is more than the cost of my cameras.

If you are interested(?) I can e mail you the footage.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport