Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• mikeyorkie10
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    The Government and the Data Communications Company are confident that ways will be found of adopting these meters onto the central hub by 2020. The problem is that no single solution will suit all meters as they have been procured from different manufacturers.
    so, its turn it off but don't bin it ....... yet!!
    :-)
  • The_Big_Bamboo
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    Looks like my In House Display will be heading the same way too then. My switch away from BG takes effect on October 18, so I suppose shortly after that the IHD will be useless.
    There's little point asking why the government encouraged us to get smart meters AND switch suppliers when the two are incompatible with the SMETS1 meters currently being installed. Presumably the suppliers have a stock of SMETS1 meters to get rid of, no to mention government targets to miss.
    I’m in the same boat as you my friend. My switch from BG to Avro should be completed on 10th Oct;…I’ll miss the convenience of the Br.Gas Smart meters but any sorrow at their passing should be somewhat off-set when I receive the £500! credit that’s built-up since the Smart meters were fitted in Feb.2016.

The Br.Gas’ promise that Smart Meters would mean ‘accurate billing’ didn’t materialize,…not for me anyway.

p.s. thanks for the last sentence of your post by the way;…a LOL is always a good start to the day. :D
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well after two weeks away from BG I'm giving up on my smart meter monitor coming back to life - its just become a large temperature gauge!!

Back to manual meter reads after two years, what a pain and what a waste of money for the industry as a whole. There now seems little doubt that the original meters (SMETS1) will able to be reconfigured to work on the new network - SO - why are they still being installed??
    Because they ordered vast quantities of them in the expectation of a great clamour to get them installed. That never materialised, and they want to use them up otherwise they'll never get rid of them. There was a TV documentary on these over a year ago when an IT expert from the industry said it was not worth getting one installed until they have used the stock up and are using a later version.

It's scandalous and the fact that companies like BG are making so much from installing them when they don't cost mush to produce. The gov't should make the companies offer free upgrades to consumers who have had SMETS1 installed
  • Boxman
    Boxman Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How are BG making money from installing smart meters nic?
  • nic_c
    Options
    Boxman wrote: »
    How are BG making money from installing smart meters nic?
    A Government plan to put ‘smart meters’ into every British home – costing households £200 each – will be launched this week despite fears they will not work and that they pose a security risk to power supplies.
    Energy companies will begin the mass installation of smart meters next year at a cost of at least £200 per home, and have admitted the expense will be passed on to customers.
    So the cost is £400 for dual fuel that is passed on through bills. Many installations are done in well under 2 hours, I've seen quotes like "our electricity was only off for 15 minutes". Surely it doesn't cost £400. Its like if your boiler breaks down, if you get a quote from BGas verses an independent installer, they will be miles apart. Unfortunately for smart meters you are simply getting billed in your bill and no option for cheaper alternatives.

The cost is supposed to be offset by savings
    Dr Tania Mathias MP, interim chair of the science and technology select committee, says: “The government has known for years that early smart meters can lose their smartness if the customer switches. Ministers merely have an ‘ambition’ to fix this by 2020, but taxpayers will be unimpressed with this situation, and timely action is needed.”

Interestingly, her inquiry report found that most studies into the effects of having a smart meter showed that households reduced their energy consumption by just 2%-3% – worth around £33 a year for a typical customer at current prices.
    So it won't be until after 12 years that any saving will be made by the customer :eek:

Maybe the government have forced the companies into undertaking installing the meters, but they are insuring both that its at no cost to them and if they are using their standard rates, at an inflated cost to the consumer
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    .. So it won't be until after 12 years that any saving will be made by the customer :eek:

Well before which the battery in the gas part of the system will have timed out - resulting in even more expenditure :rotfl:
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    I'm not sure why all the panic about cancelling DD - do people not read the DD guarantee? If they take a payment after you have cancelled but before you get a refund, simply get your bank to do an indemnity claim, the money will be in your account straight away and they will get the money back from BG.

No panic on my part about cancelling DD.

However I am well in credit, and will get a refund. As my BG account closed on 25 Sep, there is no point in BG taking 2 DDs on 01 Oct. Agreed I would get the money back, but better to prevent the DD being taken in the first place.
  • nic_c
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    No panic on my part about cancelling DD.

However I am well in credit, and will get a refund. As my BG account closed on 25 Sep, there is no point in BG taking 2 DDs on 01 Oct. Agreed I would get the money back, but better to prevent the DD being taken in the first place.
    So you don't mind receiving the refund by cheque then? If they take it out on 1 Oct you request an immediate refund from your bank (DDG). I was simply pointing it out because refunding by bank would, IMO, be easier and didn't want to see a post moaning that BG are taking an age to send a cheque because you cancelled DD.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 October 2017 at 7:25PM
    Options
    My switch, and checking on payments and credits, from BG to OVO is going to be messy as there was a glitch with moving my gas supply due to county postcode changes not being on the meter national database and so the two services will have separate starting dates.

I have a separate gas and electricity DD from BG currently coming out of my bank (not a specific choice) so hopefully can see appropriate refunds against each before cancellation(s)

I've had no contact from BG about leaving them for either fuel!!

I have given OVO my electricity meter reading a few days ago and will be able to give a gas meter reading at the end of this week.

Additional information: I just looked at my BG account and for gas which is not due to move to OVO until a week's time I had a refund on 11th Sept and now a balance of £0?

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • bobstheboy
    bobstheboy Posts: 631 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My switch from BG to Bulb is over. The switch date was 12th September and my BG credit is in my bank today so no complaints with either Bulb or BG, long may it continue !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure