Advice and guidance please..

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Andy222 wrote: »
    Ok, so I found Experian, Equifax, and Callcredit.

Are they the correct three for the UK?

Yes, you can access your call-credit file through "noddle" for free.

Likewise you can access your Equifax file through "clearscore" again for free.

For Experian you can order a £2 statutory copy off there website, no need to sign up to any deals.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Andy222
    Andy222 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Awesome, thank you!

Are any of these 'free trials' that you need to cancel before the month ends?

And what would you recommend..just accessing my credit files once, and printing them off? Or is there a cost-effective way to monitor/access them more readily/regularly?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Awesome, thank you!

Are any of these 'free trials' that you need to cancel before the month ends?

And what would you recommend..just accessing my credit files once, and printing them off? Or is there a cost-effective way to monitor/access them more readily/regularly?

As above, Noddle and Clearscore are free to access whenever you choose, for life.

There are free trials through Experian, but its just a waste of money to be honest, just order a £2 statutory copy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Andy222
    Ok, that's great. I will start there.

I'll post up with my findings once I have the information..
  • Andy222
    edited 9 July 2017 at 4:31PM
    Just very quickly..about to register on Noddle..is it worth putting my actual phone number into the database, or using an old obsolete number for example? Just concerned that as soon as I enter these details, my phone will be ringing off the hook. What would you do?

Also, I'm registering to be added to the electoral roll..and there is a box to tick;

"No, I don’t want my name and address on the open register"

Bearing in mind my situation, do I want my name and address on the open register or not? Will this help or hinder me?
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

I don't think I gave Noddle or Clearscore my phone number. Do you have to?
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with everything Andy. You have taken the hardest step. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

As Martin says there is not a debt which cant be sorted.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Andy222
    Not sure. I'll check again. And is it worth waiting till I have my name added to the electoral roll before I check my credit report, or does it make no difference?
  • Andy222
    Yes, you do need to enter a phone number. It will not let me proceed to the next page until I do..
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just very quickly..about to register on Noddle..is it worth putting my actual phone number into the database, or using an old obsolete number for example? Just concerned that as soon as I enter these details, my phone will be ringing off the hook. What would you do?

Also, I'm registering to be added to the electoral roll..and there is a box to tick;

"No, I don’t want my name and address on the open register"

Bearing in mind my situation, do I want my name and address on the open register or not? Will this help or hinder me?
    I would always tick "no" for that box, debts or no debts. ;)
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure