Real Life MMD: Should we keep the wine?

Comments

• iviv
    iviv Posts: 572 Forumite
    Did you know that Tesco stores loose £200million a year in so called 'shrinkage', that is to say unexplained losses. This is mostly theft, but inclodes the issues mentioned in the OP as well.
    Broken or damaged items are easy to keep track of, that happens in store, and it gets put down as waste, we know exactly what happened. Its still a loss to the store either way, but its best of we know where exactly all the stock goes.

As has been mentioned, calling them, they will probably tell you to just keep them, and switch six bottles from shrink to waste. They are happy because they can keep track of the stock, and you keep the wine.
  • What would you do if it were the other way round ? I think I know.
    Send them an e-mail and let them collect on your next delivery.or whenever they wish.
  • I would email the company and advise them about the wine and mention your long and time wasting phone call. Give them 14 days to collect. If they fail to collect you can keep it. Just in time for Christmas and the New Year! Perfect and legal!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm quite saddened by the number of people who are suggesting that the wine should simply be kept. It doesn't say much for our standards of honesty as a nation. (And I wonder how many of those people are the first to criticise our "dishonest" politicians and others in public life.?)

Yes, of course it would be nice to keep it but the honest thing to do is contact Customer Services, tell them of the error and give them 14 days to come and collect it. Keep a copy of your email or letter. If they then decide it's not worth the bother of doing so, you can drink it with a clear conscience. I actually hate most supermarkets for what they've done to damage and destroy the lives of small shopkeepers but I hope, despite that, I'd still do the honest thing if that happened to me.
  • jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    svmitche wrote: »
    To be honest I would probably keep it - you did try and let them know, but realistically, are they going to send someone over to collect it?

If you feel really bad about it then try to ring once more, but at this time of year the phones will be busy. They will have refunded the intended recipient anyway so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

It's true that the intended recipient would have been refunded, but the supermarket may well have identified the staff member who made the mistake and deducted the cost from their wages. Supermarket workers are under a huge amount of pressure at this time of year, for little pay. Mistakes are inevitable. We all make mistakes at work, but most of us don't have the cost deducted from our wages.

Email them rather than calling, and give them 14 days to collect.

Otherwise, enjoy the wine but think of the staff member who needed that money for his or her kids this Christmas.
  • Would email them and request collection I'm afraid ..... Honesty is the best policy but I do understand why people get annoyed at these companies
  • As a Tesco shareholder, I am very pleased to read many mentions of this fine supermarket, when the OP only referred to a leading supermarket. Any publicity is good publicity.

And as for the matter of 6 bottles of Merlot wine worth £40, I hadn't realised they sold such cheap stuff. Oh well, they cater for all sorts, I suppose.
  • I agree that the right thing to do is to let them know what has happened (including your attempt to phone them) in an email, and say you are waiting for them to let you know what they intend to do about it. On the issue of checking supermarket bills, I shop 4 or 5 times a year at Auchan in Coquelles. There is ALWAYS an error of some sort, which they are happy enough to sort out (even after the event), but do check while you are still there. Last time they tried to charge €44 for an empty box (which had been inadvertantly scanned), into which other bottles of wine (which they also charged for) had been put for ease of transport.
  • cuba2008
    cuba2008 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Personally, I would try ringing them one more time. If you do get through just explain the situation. As others have said, the chances are they will tell you to keep it.I recently received two bottles of wine we hadn't ordered but didn't receive the one we had. Rang Sainsbury's helpline, who gave me a credit for the one I hadn't received and said we should keep the other two with their compliments. To be honest, it's generally not worth their while sending someone to collect.

Several years ago, my mother ordered all our Christmas food from Marks and Spencer. When she went to collect on 23rd December, they couldn't find her order! She then rushed around the store trying to find suitable alternatives. Later that day, they rang to say they had found her order and could we come and collect! I said no we couldn't and that mum had purchased alternatives that we really weren't happy with. It was finally agreed that Marks would send the complete order to us in a taxi (total value with taxi about £100) and we were to retain the other items purchased, since a lot of it was from the chiller cabinet and could not be re-sold. Their fault, so they paid.
  • milliejo
    milliejo Posts: 318 Forumite
    I would ring again or email and give them a chance to collect it. I couldnt enjoy drinking it otherwise. A few years ago I rang M & S when I realised they hadnt charged me for a fairly expensive item of clothing when I bought quite a few things. They were very pleased and I paid for the item and they then sent me some very nice vouchers for being honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure