PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

LL termination notice due to some AIRBNB - help(!)

anyadvicehelp
anyadvicehelp Posts: 1 Newbie
First Anniversary
edited 2 March 2018 at 3:57AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi - be grateful for any help please...

• Have been renting a place in Westminster, London for about 9 years (a lot of money)
  • The rent has always been paid on time and the flat has been kept in great condition
  • Its rented off big landlord company that own a lot of local property in Westminster
  • I have been travelling and staying away due to the difficulties of finding work over last 6months
  • My partner has been helping with the rent & bills and stays when he is in London
  • I signed a new fixed term AST for a year from Aug 2017- Aug 2018 with the landlord company
  • There have been issues recently with the lift in the building over the last 3months, but that is fixed

Just this week the landlord sent an email indicating they will serving notice of termination and will take legal action if we do not comply. In the email they say the basis for the notice is a breach of the AST terms:
  • Running a business in the premises
  • Not occupying the residence as a principle home
  • Subletting
  • Assigning the tenancy of the premises

It would seem that my partner has been occasionally using AIRBNB when I am and him are not there.

He says this is occasional and has helped him contribute to the large rent bill & costs in my work absence

The lease is in my name only.

I am devastated by this Notice of Termination and don't know what to do?

The Westminster Council and MP promotes the sharing economy and AIRBNB within reason.

I don't know how I can fight this and what to do??

Comments

• Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Hi - be grateful for any help please...

• Have been renting a place in Westminster, London for about 9 years (a lot of money)
    • The rent has always been paid on time and the flat has been kept in great condition
    • Its rented off big landlord company that own a lot of local property in Westminster
    • I have been travelling and staying away due to the difficulties of finding work over last 6months
    • My partner has been helping with the rent & bills and stays when he is in London
    • I signed a new fixed term AST for a year from Aug 2017- Aug 2018 with the landlord company
    • There have been issues recently with the lift in the building over the last 3months, but that is fixed

Just this week the landlord sent an email indicating they will serving notice of termination and will take legal action if we do not comply. In the email they say the basis for the notice is a breach of the AST terms:
    • Running a business in the premises
    • Not occupying the residence as a principle home
    • Subletting
    • Assigning the tenancy of the premises

It would seem that my partner has been occasionally using AIRBNB when I am and him are not there.

He says this is occasional and has helped him contribute to the large rent bill & costs in my work absence

The lease is in my name only.

I am devastated by this Notice of Termination and don't know what to do?

The Westminster Council and MP promotes the sharing economy and AIRBNB within reason.

Dont fight it .Stop the B&B. If you dont they can and probably will give you notice.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Suggest you look at this from your landlord's point of view. To assist this thread shows the problems air B&B causes for the landlord:

My AST Tenants have turned my House into an Airbnb
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5797752

Not least you may be voiding his insurance.

Refer to your tenancy agreement for details of how much or little you can leave the property unoccupied by yourself. If you can't meet that then I'd suggest you try negotiating with your landlord to surrender the tenancy. Surely that's to everyones benefit as you cannot find work locally it will save you having to keep paying rent on a property you are not living in.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    And he didn't feel the need to tell you? What kind of relationship is that? No kidding your LL is giving you notice. He is getting of you and frankly, I would get rid of the boyfriend is this is how he deceives you.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There are many reasons this isn't ideal.

By you being absent the LL could see it as you sub-letting to your boyfriend.
    By him letting the flat on AirBNB he is putting the property at risk, possibly breaking the lease terms of the flat (the LL runs the risk of being forced to sell it under the lease terms) and possibly breaking local laws against "pop up hotels". Westminster, in particular, are looking out for AirBNB addresses and clamping down - they could have written to the LL and "threatened" him.

Letting through AirBNB can break the Government's 90 night limit. The Council have even launched an app so neighbours can report AirBNB addresses to be investigated by Westminster's special Task Force.
    Where evidence is obtained that a property has exceeded the 90 night limit without planning permission, the council will issue an enforcement notice requiring the recipients to observe the limit going forward.

It constitutes a criminal offence to breach the requirements of an enforcement notice and conviction in the Magistrates' or Crown Court can lead to an unlimited fine and an enforcement notice once served, constitutes a charge on the Local Land Charges Register and can make the future sale or financing of the property more difficult.
    Source: https://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2017/12/london-council-deploys-team-to-catch-illegal-airbnb-style-short-lets

Unless you have a special relationship with your landlord, I think you have to accept the fact that you've lost that flat now and will have to move out.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    I am sure that there will be people on here soon telling you how to fight tooth and nail to frustrate the landlord, but the end result of that is that you will be out.

I suggest instead that you apologise, profusely, for abusing the tenancy like this, promise never to do it again, and ask if you can continue to live there.

I am on the board of my building, and air bnb is an absolute nightmare for us and other tenants. Security, noise and damage are all issues.

When people stop, we stop action to have them forfeit their lease.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    What do you want to do? Do you want to continue living in the property or do you want to surrender the tenancy since you have been struggling to find work? Where has the AirBnB money been going?

You have a fixed term tenancy until some time in August. The landlord can't issue you with a Section 21 yet and if he issues a Section 8 any grounds he uses will be discretionary, who knows which way it would go in court?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Agree to comply.

Point out that you have a partner who sometimes stays over and that you also work away sometimes. Confirm that the property is your main residence.

Tell your boyfriend to stop the airbnb.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Just this week the landlord sent an email indicating they will serving notice of termination and will take legal action if we do not comply.

Simple agree to comply. No reason to do anything else.

If the property is unaffordable give notice and move.
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It isn't clear from your post whether the landlord is definitely serving notice. My reading of it is that the landlord is going to serve notice regardless AND will take legal action if you continue to sublet during that notice period/eviction period. So a clarification would be helpful.

If the notice has been served then there is little you can do but accept it and find somewhere else to live. If you haven't received official notice your best bet would be to make an appointment in person with the landlord/agency representative and really grovel. Sooner rather than later as they may already have a new tenant lined up. You can try and show that you have been a great tenant but in reality you haven't been so be prepared to look for a new place to live.

Make your boyfriend pay for any associated costs (just imagine what those random strangers have been rummaging around in when you weren't there! Yuk!)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can we just be clear with the OP - any notice wont be effective until August.

Which is a long time away!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport