Cutting Your Food Bill

Options
Hi everyone,

Just wondered what everyone's top tips for cutting down your food bill are?

Frustrated with the lack of space in my freezer, I set myself a challenge for the month of August - I didn't allow myself to buy any food for the entire month (except milk) to force me to use up what I had in the cupboard/ freezer. Led to some pretty interesting meals (personal fave was a satay fakeaway made with peanut butter), but I realised that as a result I must have saved well over £100(!) over the course of the month, which I was then able to put towards debt repayment.

It's spurred me on to try and keep my food bill as low as possible (a small step to being debt-free by this time next year if I can keep to my current schedule) and thus I was wondering what other people do to keep their food bill down (besides the obvious of buying from the value range)?

TIA,
Lauren
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At the moment our grocery bill is minimal Thanks to the alottment and greenhouse supplying all our veg and salad stuff
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I normally have something on toast for one evening meal a week as a cheap meal, usually poached eggs or beans.

Also use lentils to bulk out casseroles/chilli etc to make more portions.

I sometimes make flapjacks to take to work for if I feel peckish to stop me buying crap from the tuck shop!
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    If you go on to the Old Style forum and look for the sticky with the current month's Grocery Challenge, you will find loads of meal ideas and recipes in the first few posts.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2017 at 9:05PM
    Options
    Budget Shopping List - Can you show me a more frugal way?

Fresh, frozen & chilled
    Chicken breast pieces
    White fish fillets
    Bacon
    Chicken wings/thighs/legs (depending on preference and price)
    625g cheddar cheese
    2 x 1% fat/semi skimmed milk 4pts
    8 Pork sausages
    Sunflower spread
    2 x 6 pack fromage frais
    Vanilla ice cream
    Frozen mixed veg
    Coleslaw

Dried goods
    1 kg rice
    Pizza base mix
    Cornflakes
    Porridge oats
    Variety pack biscuits (remove from list and bake your own if you have biscuit ingredients at home)
    12 pack crisps
    Jelly

Tins, cartons & bottles
    500g dried pasta
    Tin of sweetcorn
    Creamed tomatoes/passata
    Tomato puree
    Tin of red kidney beans
    Tin of green lentils
    2 x tins of baked beans
    Tin of haricot beans
    2 x tins chopped tomatoes
    2 x bottles high juice squash
    4 x 1 litre cartons pure fruit juice
    1 tin tuna

Bakery
    1 large baguette
    2 x 8 pack crumpets
    3 x sliced wholemeal/white loaves
    2 x 6 pack pitta bread
    12 pack scones (remove from list and bake your own if you have scone ingredients at home)

Fresh Fruit & Vegetables
    Bag of of mixed peppers
    Bag of onions
    Bag potatoes
    Broccoli (for fish pie)
    2 leeks
    Bag of carrots
    Garlic
    Bag of apples
    Basics bananas
    Basics pears
    Mushrooms
    2 x lemons

Always shop in Aldi making the most of Super Six offers and meat offers, cooking from scratch.

I have seriously cut down my bill on everything just by switching supermarket.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am very lucky to live close to a supermarket that reduces stuff by 80% early evening but it's very tempting to buy stuff I don't need just because it's cheap.

This year was my first year ever of growing vegetables. I'm rubbish at growing things from seed so bought everything as plantlets from the garden centre or scouts summer fair but it has definitely saved me some money and I've enjoyed it too.

I find being a bit creative with the presentation enables me to get away with serving something snacky as a proper meal, I batch cooked chilli earlier in the month and froze it in portions small enough to use to top nachos and cheese. I've been known to serve up YS sandwiches with a bowl of chips on the side and call it dinner :D

I pad out things like spag bol with grated carrot (an equal amount to the mince)

a stick of value garlic bread stretches pizza a lot further and just looks like you've made more effort :D

For all the odd bits and pieces and part packs that end up in the freezer, serve them all on separate plates and call it a buffet.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like the idea I saw in a cookbook as using the meat more of a garnish to the rest of the meal. Going by that I have stir frys of mainly veg (from the allotment) with a small amount of chicken/beef. Also pasta dishes with plenty of veg & a couple of chopped up rashers of bacon covered in sauce of your choice (homemade of course)
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Leaving shopping till nearer closing time in the supermarkets can see a lot of reduced items up for sale that are nearing there best before dates, if you buy a few of these ingredients that can be used to make large batches of food that can be cooked and then frozen they go a long way for making cheap meals. A pound of mince, 2 onions, large tin of kid beans, large tin of plum toms and half a tube of tomato paste and a cup of rice each time = 3 chilli dinners for under £6, this could be augmented with a crusty loaf and could feed 2 adults and 3 children in one sitting.

If you are lucky enough to live near a food producer with a factory shop look there for some real bargains compared to normal shop prices.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    Budget Shopping List - Can you show me a more frugal way?

Chicken breast pieces
    Chicken wings/thighs/legs (depending on preference and price)

Coleslaw

Buy whole chickens - the breast are bigger, it is easy to joint the thighs/legs/wings off, and then you can make stock from the carcass

Make your own coleslaw - you get tons for the investment of half a cabbage, a carrot or 2 and maybe some onion. Add the dressing when ready to eat as it keeps longer that way.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Meal planning and always shopping to a list are my two top tips. I'd also add to that try to just shop once a week to avoid the temptation of extra supermarket trips leading to added impulse buys.

Alsi & Lidl are great as everyone knows, and to take that even further you can keep an eye on their Pick of the Week/Super 6 fruit and veg offers each week and then use those as the basis of meals - so cheap butternut squash might mean risotto one day and curry another. Cheap mushrooms = Pasta & omelettes. When they have garlic cheap I buy a couple of bags of it and roast the whole heads in the oven when I have something else in there. Squeeze out the cloves once they are sort and freeze individually on a tray and you have a ready supply of delicious roast garlic in the freezer ready for use - cheaper than buying the squeezy tubes of garlic or buying a whole head of garlic for a single recipe.

Agree on the coleslaw - I made a batch last night using a Lidl POTW beetroot, a couple of carrots that were languishing in the fridge, quarter of a red cabbage and a small red onion. Bit of mayo and a dollop of value low fat yogurt. Yum. Reckon the whole bowl full probably cost 60p tops - and it's a lot nicer than the supermarket value tubs of the stuff. There's at least 6 portions there too I'd say - probably more like 8.

Ignore the mild cheddar cheese in favour of buying something with a bit more punch - you need less of it then so it's better for waistline AND pocket!

Better to buy ingredients for things like pizza bases too - you get a far nicer result, you know exactly what's gone in, and you don't pay the premium for someone else mixing them up or making the bases for you! Also means that everyone can choose their own thickness and any extras like herbs etc they fancy in it.

Above all, really think about what you need to buy - don't just use a standard list and buy those things regardless - that also enables you to shop seasonally as well, which can make a big difference to your food bills. Farm shops and market stalls are particularly good on that side of things.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • kindofagilr
    Options
    My mam gave me her old greenhouse in the spring, so I have managed to grow things in the greenhouse, and in pots around the outside of the house.
    We have tomoatoes, peppers, courgettes, sweetcorn, strawberries and potatoes, so that has saved me money :) I am too late for winter veg growing this year but plan on it for next year, I grew them all from seed as well so it was minimal costs.

I don't buy when things are on offer, for example, if say lurpak is 2 for £5 but I only need one which is £3 I still just get one, otherwise it just takes up space in my fridge and it means I've spent £2 more that week than I wanted too.

I have a set budget for each week, I do a menu for each week, then a list from the menu, I online shop at asda, this has been the cheapest way for me as I personally don't find the cheaper shops any good as they don't have everthing in that I need.
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family