Shingles...

I thought i had a burn, it changed so i thought i had pricked my hand on a rose Thorn, it changed again got some pimples and so i have blummin shingles
make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    McKneff wrote: »
    I thought i had a burn, it changed so i thought i had pricked my hand on a rose Thorn, it changed again got some pimples and so i have blummin shingles
    Has your GP confirmed that it is shingles or have you self-diagnosed?

See your GP as-soon-as.
  • Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sympathies from me too. Have had shingles right side of torso, went to GP who straight away diagnosed shingles. Prescribed big bullet type pills, probably antibiotics and some soothing cream. Mine took approx 6 weeks to clear. I took myself off to the spare bedroom to sleep and did not share towels with anyone. Made me feel abit down but made a full recovery. GP said it can recur. All the best to you.
  • Lizabeth21
    Lizabeth21 Posts: 161 Forumite
    It can appear when you are in a particularly anxious state where you see no way out. Usually on a nerve. Very painful and takes awhile to clear. Related to chicken pox I think.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It is the chicken pox virus, so I think you are more liable if you have had chicken pox in the past- that's my understanding. However, I have heard of children as young as 4 getting shingles......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm just getting over it. Thought I'd trapped a nerve in my shoulder - I was in agony for two weeks even with medication. I'm getting over 18 months of chemo and was really getting back on track when this hit me. The shingles themselves scabbed over and dissipated within about a week, but the pain still lingers even nearly six weeks later - it's like banging your funny bone but constant...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Has your GP confirmed that it is shingles or have you self-diagnosed?

See your GP as-soon-as.
    Gp confrmed it before i posted here.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Good luck with it. I found heat worked nicely for the pain. Conversely the cold really did make it feel worse

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • McKneff
    Good luck with it. I found heat worked nicely for the pain. Conversely the cold really did make it feel worse
    I think you are right, i had a hot bath, as opposed to the cool one suggested and it was a bit less painful.

Calamine lotion does nothing
  • McKneff
    I think you are right, i had a hot bath, as opposed to the cool one suggested and it was a bit less painful.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Katiehound wrote: »
    It is the chicken pox virus, so I think you are more liable if you have had chicken pox in the past- that's my understanding. However, I have heard of children as young as 4 getting shingles......

You can't get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox, its cause by the chicken pox virus which lives dormant in your spine.

I've had it twice so you have my sympathies, the key is getting the drugs as quickly as possible.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport