pay varies monthly causing issues with mortgage application.

I have two jobs and one of my jobs involves working in a supermarket. I'm applying for a mortgage and the supermarket payslip has been flagged up due to variations in pay which vary between a couple of pounds. I have quizzed my manager regarding the issue because I work contract hours with no overtime, however, he wasn't able to answer why it varies monthly. I'm not able to provide my IFA with a satisfactory answer. Does that mean, I can't get a mortgage?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Presumably it varies depending on how many days in the month?

Who is the lender?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you are contracted to work say 3 hours per M-F and are paid monthly then your pay will likely differ month to month as there are a different number of week days in a month, the same if you only work weekends. You need to understand how you are paid.
  • ozmusafir
    ozmusafir Posts: 44
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 7:21PM
    ACG wrote: »
    Presumably it varies depending on how many days in the month?

Who is the lender?

I'm paid monthly, therefore it varies every month.

on a Saturday I work 4 hours (take 15 min break )
    sunday i work 8 hours (take 30 min break)

the break is unpaid.

on the sunday i earn time and a half.

on my payslip my contract hours are 11.25 and hourly pay is £7.621.
    The lender is halifax
  • ACG
    Forumite
    ozmusafir wrote: »
    I'm paid monthly, therefore it varies every month.

on a Saturday I work 4 hours (take 15 min break )
    sunday i work 8 hours (take 30 min break)

the break is unpaid.

on the sunday i earn time and a half.

on my payslip my contract hours are 11.25 and hourly pay is £7.621.
    The lender is halifax

Is that not your answer then?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • ACG wrote: »
    Is that not your answer then?

shouldn't the monthly payment be the same every month?
    Oct month I was paid £358 and Nov month I was paid £364.
  • ACG
    Forumite
    I realise this is not the case, but just to keep it simple, if you worked Monday to Friday and there were 28 days in a month and the 1st of the month was a Saturday, you would work 20 days in the month.

If there were 31 days in the month and you worked Monday to Friday with the 1st being a Saturday you would work 21 days in the month.

Yours is a little more complicated as your shifts can vary in days and pay rates, but the theory is the same. Your monthly income will vary.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • ACG wrote: »
    I realise this is not the case, but just to keep it simple, if you worked Monday to Friday and there were 28 days in a month and the 1st of the month was a Saturday, you would work 20 days in the month.

If there were 31 days in the month and you worked Monday to Friday with the 1st being a Saturday you would work 21 days in the month.

Yours is a little more complicated as your shifts can vary in days and pay rates, but the theory is the same. Your monthly income will vary.

Thank for a simplified explanation but this has confused the life out of me. Due to the discrepancy, how do I go about resolving it with the lender?
  • ACG
    Forumite
    I can not tell you what to tell the lender as I do not know the answer 100%, but this seems the only logical answer.

You could speak to your HR department and ask them to explain why it varies?

Pull out a calender for the last 2 months.
    Write down every day you worked, your hourly pay for the day, the number of hours you worked and the pay for the day.

Do that every day for a month and total it up.

Then do the same again for the next month.

Maybe that will help you to see how/why it differs.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ozmusafir wrote: »
    Thank for a simplified explanation but this has confused the life out of me. Due to the discrepancy, how do I go about resolving it with the lender?

Set out what hours you actually worked in the respective months.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,412
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Halifax hate variation in pay slips, or banked pay not matching payslip.

We had a client this year under £4 net out on nearly £6K due to a clerical error and that was an issue we needed to manage.

Quite simply this is something for your IFA to sort - that is what they are being paid for.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure