Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• Cardew wrote: »
    My switch is to be a lot quicker.

I started proceedings via Cheap Energy Club on 6 Sept. Had notification from Ovo that I start with them on 26 Sept and my first Direct Debit will be taken on 26 Sept

Had my 'sorry you are leaving' letter from BG today confirming my account ends on 25 Sept. Ironically I had in the same post two letters from BG informing me that I will having increased separate Direct Debits for gas and electricity on 01 October - presumably on the assumption I would be going on their Standard tariff from 03 Oct; with the Collective tariff from BG I had a combined DD>

Actually t the welcome email has now arrived with a switch date of 7th October.

Also I went through Lumo and TCB for £51 cashback.
  • Much research done yesterday on my options with the BG collective fix finishing 3rd October.

Called BG directly to see if they had any tariffs available to compete - no joy whatsoever. The best they had was the HomeEnergy Secure 1 year fix, which would increase my annual spend by approx £376. So, cheerio to BG, which is a shame as I've actually been pleased with the overall customer experience over the last couple of years in terms of online and app based account management.

After much debate in my own head I eventually opted for the 1 year EDF collective fix via CEC. I nearly went with Ovo 2 year fix but I'm happy enough to switch every year if necessary so went with the cheapest option for me for the next year.

BG are going to lose a lot of customers this month, that is a certainty.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    interbear wrote: »
    BG are going to lose a lot of customers this month, that is a certainty.

And a lot of profit. It is those of us who have been on a MUCH cheaper BG one year fixed tariff - for instance, gas at 1.61p per kWh - that they'll be glad to get rid of at the end of September.

What a joke collective switches are.
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    vigman wrote: »
    OVO online account already setup with switch date of October 5th

Vigman
    Same here OVO account setup and
    Your new contract will start on 4 October 2017
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • Hello. I've never switched before so this ill be my first time. The OVO deal interests me. I just need a bit of advice please. I'm with NPower dual fuel and have a smart meter. Will that cause problems? Do I just do it all on-line or do I have to phone NPower with readings etc. My account is also in credit. I think there is about £150 there to come to me. Is that sent to me as part of the process or is it more phone calls? TIA for any help given.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    forexbert wrote: »
    Hello. I've never switched before so this ill be my first time. The OVO deal interests me. I just need a bit of advice please. I'm with NPower dual fuel and have a smart meter. Will that cause problems? Do I just do it all on-line or do I have to phone NPower with readings etc. My account is also in credit. I think there is about £150 there to come to me. Is that sent to me as part of the process or is it more phone calls? TIA for any help given.

It is simple. You apply via MSE Cheap Energy Club for the Ovo Deal. Ovo as the gaining supplier will manage the whole process. They will send you a Welcome Pack with your contract details and ask you for meter readings just before the day of the actual transfer. These readings will then be verified by an industry third-party and they will then be used to open and close your accounts. The losing supplier will raise a Final Bill within 6 weeks of the actual transfer and then refund you any credit due. You do not need to contact your existing supplier at all. Any problems, then call the new supplier.

Smart meter: your smart meter will revert to dumb status. You will have to read it manually. The Govt has asked industry to find ways of updating these legacy meters by 2020.
  • I'm just about to migrate from the extremely good collective switch tariff to a more expensive one. I'm thinking of exaggerating my final meter reads , on the basis that non one ever checks- thereby getting future energy at the cheaper rate. Is this legal?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 4:31PM
    ikeymoh wrote: »
    I'm just about to migrate from the extremely good collective switch tariff to a more expensive one. I'm thinking of exaggerating my final meter reads , on the basis that non one ever checks- thereby getting future energy at the cheaper rate. Is this legal?

Apart from the fact that it is fraud, the meter readings that you supply on switch will be verified by the industry Data Collectors using the past readings that they hold on file for your property. The verified readings will then be used to open and close your accounts. You could, of course, cry foul and the gaining supplier will raise an Agreed Readings Dispute. They could send out a meter reader.

Edit: for ‘verified’ read ‘changed to an estimate’
  • My date for the OVO switch has come forward again. 4th October now. Proactive if nothing else so far to date!
  • Hi

I am also on the BG collective with British Gas until 3rd Oct, I have used the CEC and a number of smaller companies show up followed by Ovo and EDF saving about £150 does anyone have a specific preference or is it entirely taking a risk going with the smaller companies.?

Separately we also have home care one boiler cover with British Gas is this likely to cause me problems switching or is it simply a separate contract?

Thanks for any advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport