No Will/ No House Advice Sought

My father passed away at the weekend and he hadn't made a Will. The property he lived in didin't belong to him and all I can see with limited access to things so far is about £15,000 in a current account. I've done a lot of reading and I'm still confused about what forms to fill in. I'm thinking there won't be inheritance tax because of the amount of money involved, if that being the case I need to fill in form IHT 205 (where estate is unlikely to pay inheritance tax) and form PA1- Probate Application.

If anybody has any further advice, I would be most grateful!

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You may not need any forms at all, many banks will not require probate ( or administration if there is no will) to release that level of funds.

First - the bank will pay the funeral director directly with funds from your father's account if you present them with the bill.

What remains in the account may well be released to you on production of the death certificate and by signing an indemnity (it will depend on which bank - as they have varying limits on the amount they will do this for).

You should be careful if there is any suggestion that your father had debts which may approach or exceed his assets.
  • Simeco
    Simeco Posts: 6 Forumite
    Should I enquire at this stage what the stance of the bank (Natwest) is? I've not told them yet that he's passed away.

I'm pretty certain that the has got any outstanding debt, he never had a credit card etc.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Simeco wrote: »
    Should I enquire at this stage what the stance of the bank (Natwest) is? I've not told them yet that he's passed away.

I'm pretty certain that the has got any outstanding debt, he never had a credit card etc.
    You must tell the bank ASAP to prevent any money being paid out. Best to use the tell us once service as well for other things.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    You must tell the bank ASAP to prevent any money being paid out. Best to use the tell us once service as well for other things.

As well as the banks you should tell all of the other people who paid him money asap. eg pension companies and DWP. If their payments happen after death they may want repaying which is a hassle.
  • Simeco
    Ok will get onto that......

I've just picked up a box of his paperwork, he's got another £7k in a saving account.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it was me I would go to the banks, passport & utility bill in hand along with the death certificate & just ask them what they need from you. The tell us once service is very good & will stop any benefit payments very quickly. If he was in receipt of any pensions there may be an amount payable from that, or if not there may be pensions with a payee nominated by him.

In amongst all the practicalities - sorry for your loss.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You must inform the savings bank as they will have to stop adding interest from the date of his death.
  • Simeco
    I'm going to have a good look at the paperwork I've got later, I shall start with the bank etc in the morning.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    chesky wrote: »
    You must inform the savings bank as they will have to stop adding interest from the date of his death.

WHY?

they need to put the accumulating interest somewhere and nothing needs to change from the normal process of adding interest unless it was an ISA as the ISA status ends DOD.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chesky wrote: »

They used to do that but no longer do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport