Gas meter not registered to my property

divadee
divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
We have just purchased a flat that is an old Victorian building with 4 flats. We are flat D. The sellers were with Scottish power and we are moving to eon. All thought it would be straight forward.

Eon have been in touch and basically the meter that is ours is not registered properly. I have the serial number and the mprn number and eon say they have a flat a, b and then 3 flat c's

National grid say our numbers are just registered to the property number so 123 any road instead of 123D any road.

Scottish power say they have it registered to flat c... But bills come to the address of flat D

Confused? I am as well.

Scottish power now say it will take 7 days to register the meter to our address is this correct?

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2016 at 6:35PM
    Recently converted buildings into flats often have initial issues working out who is who with regard to meters. It is often not as joined up as you think. It only takes one person to register the wrong meter to mess it all up too.

Registering may indeed take 7 days, if not longer. Just part of setting it all up.

Just ensure when it is all done, they are charging the correct meter.

Write on the meter your flat number to avoid issues with other flats.

Double check you do a meter test. Put a lot of things on in the flat. Check the meter is counting quick. Then turn everything off, and check it stops.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Recently converted buildings into flats often have initial issues working out who is who with regard to meters.

I like yout optimism here.

Flat's generally have messed up mixed metering for years and years. And as soon as it's sorted out someone moans and it's put back to the old messed up way!

And if the flats have different suppliers expect it to be messed up forever.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Recently converted buildings into flats often have initial issues working out who is who with regard to meters. It is often not as joined up as you think. It only takes one person to register the wrong meter to mess it all up too.

Registering may indeed take 7 days, if not longer. Just part of setting it all up.

Just ensure when it is all done, they are charging the correct meter.

Write on the meter your flat number to avoid issues with other flats.

Double check you do a meter test. Put a lot of things on in the flat. Check the meter is counting quick. Then turn everything off, and check it stops.

That would be good if they weren't converted in the 1970's!!!

We have done the meter test and it definitely ours. I will write our flat number on it though.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:06PM
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    I like yout optimism here.

Flat's generally have messed up mixed metering for years and years. And as soon as it's sorted out someone moans and it's put back to the old messed up way!

And if the flats have different suppliers expect it to be messed up forever.

This is true. I was thinking optimistically.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    divadee wrote: »
    We have just purchased a flat that is an old Victorian building with 4 flats. We are flat D. The sellers were with Scottish power and we are moving to eon. All thought it would be straight forward.

Eon have been in touch and basically the meter that is ours is not registered properly. I have the serial number and the mprn number and eon say they have a flat a, b and then 3 flat c's

National grid say our numbers are just registered to the property number so 123 any road instead of 123D any road.

Scottish power say they have it registered to flat c... But bills come to the address of flat D

Confused? I am as well.

Scottish power now say it will take 7 days to register the meter to our address is this correct?

Hi divadee

I see you have already made some telephone calls to try to get to the bottom of this.

As I understand it, according to National Grid, they have told you that all the meters are still registered to the original address of that building (i.e. 123 Any Road). Did they say how many meters are registered to that specific address?

Because, as I understand it, according to Eon, they have told you there are 5 meters in total, albeit 1 to 123A, 1 to 123B and 3 to 123C.
    Not sure why Eon would seem to think meters are registered to an alternative address that National Grid say, as they should all be getting that info from the same database.

Anyway, it sounds like there is possibly a landlord's supply as well e.g. for common areas lighting, and possibly the odd socket for cleaning those common areas .

As to why you are receiving a bill addressed to 123D, that is easy to explain. You can request a different mailing address. But the supply address is usually also stated on the bill, and always is in my experience where a different mailing address is being used. The landlord's bill probably is mailed to the managing agent.

Probably the correct (and more longwinded) way to resolve your particular issue is to establish which meters serve just your flat (if you have nbot already done so) and try to get SP to update the database accordingly.

But a short-cut method if you you can identify which supply address really is currently on the database for your meters might be to simply apply to switch using that supply address but advise your chosen supplier of the mailing address.
    e.g. supply address may be 123 Any Road, but you want the mailing address to be 123D Any Road.
    If you take the short cut approach, do ensure they switch the correct supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure