PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Doing porridge, frugally

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always have mine with Cinnamon flavored honey.
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    I just buy a bag of cheap apples, chop one up fine each morning to add to my porridge. At this time of year you could stew some baking apples and add some each day.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    abibee wrote: »
    I like the sound of berries. Does syrup not make it less healthy? I thought maybe jam or marmalade mixed in, but those take away from the healthy.

You”d only need a tiny bit :)

I like the sound of stewed apples, and dried fruit - maybe adding a touch of cinnamon ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I like stewed apple and cinnamon on mine it's like eating pudding for breakfast, carrot raisin and cinnamon are also good as overnight oats but don't think it would work well warm.
  • AlwaysAllie
    Options
    I make mine with water as I find it’s still quite creamy....however I do then add any or all of.....ginger powder, cinnamon powder, honey, peanut butter, fruit (anything non-citrusy) and Greek yoghurt.

AA

NB possibly not frugal if you have them all!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    You need a bit of salt to bring out the flavour of the oats, even if you add sugar or jam for sweet porridge.

A spoonful of cocoa or drinking chocolate powder makes chocolatey porridge.

A squirt of toothpaste would make minty porridge and be good for your teeth :-)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    dried fruit, chopped apples, frozen blackberries, all cooked in the porridge (all together, or individually)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make mine the old-fashioned way; mix it up with an equal quantity of water and a good pinch of salt the night before, leave it over gentle warmth overnight (on top of our condensing boiler, which has a 60l hot-water tank that stays warm all night - OH gets up for work at 5.30am & appreciates hot water for shaving) and then cook up with the same amount of water again in the morning. I'm afraid I add a spoonful of apple butter and another of cream to flavour it, which is pure luxury - I make apple butter with our windfalls, and the cream is from a local herd of Guernsey cows - but it fills me up until lunchtime!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Severin51
    Options
    I bought a coconut on a whim, and when I managed to get into it, I didn't know quite what to do with it. I grated it all up, froze some of it and had some of it in my porridge. It was DELISH! Really filling, dead cheap, and, lasted for ages in the freezer.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    I like to cook it with apples and cinnamon, (i use my multi cooker on porridge setting and I use unsweetened almond milk more often than not) I find it sweet enough like that most of the time. I may use a bit of date nectar if I'm having a sweet tooth day but usually if I add a bit of banana or blueberries (usually bought reduced or frozen) it's sweet enough.
    I nearly always put chia seeds in my porridge after cooking as well but they aren't all that cheap (a 150g bag costing me £1 lasts about 2 weeks I think).
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport