Game Key Resellers - Legal Grey area?

Options
On the hunt for cheap games I was pointed towards a couple of websites (kinguin and cdkeys.com) where its possible to buy newly released and fairly current games for a significant discount.

Initially I thought "This is great!" as the discount on one game I wanted compared to Steam's pricing meant it shaved off a fair amount. However I did wonder how the websites in question could offer such pricing and do so legitiamtely. I was unaware that there are 3rd party cdkey resellers, who hoover up at lot of game keys and then sell said keys at discount.

I know my brother has purchased games this way and the site re-issues cdkeys should the original one be blocked by the issuing party, as some game platforms/developers take issue with this business practice. I'd be keen to take advantage of the discounts but it seems like a legally grey area.

What's your thoughts?
Do not make any sudden moves.

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've bought from cdkeys quite a few times and will continue to do so, as far as I'm aware they're genuine (no legal grey area) and if there are any issues with the keys, they will sort it out.

Kinguin and G2A however I wouldn't use at all as both have been known to be selling keys bought using stolen credit cards which are definitely not legal.

John
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    Yeah, I've used cdkeys a few times now without problem, as mentioned above, some sites have been exposed for selling stolen keys.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doesn't the fact that a CD key gets blocked ring alarm bells indicating that the keys may not have been legitimately obtained in the first place?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been using cdkeys for about 5 years now and never had any problems with them - whether via steam, origin, xbox or playstation.

As above though, others such as G2A have been known to sell keys purchased with stolen card details - which often can result in the games being removed from the purchasers library.

They have something called "G2A shield" which will protect you in the event the key doesn't work - but you have to pay extra for this. To me, its a huge red flag - you're legally entitled to receive what you ordered, there should be no need to pay an additional premium to protect you in case you dont.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also have used CDKeys trouble free, tonnes of people over on hukd have also used them too for xbox, PC, Playstation with no issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure