Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    CROSSY_GY wrote: »
    We were due to fly out with Monarch this afternoon on a package deal booked through teletext holidays, after hearing the news this morning I've managed to book alternative flights (at a higher cost of course), we booked on 9th January 2017 and have an ATOL certificate so I'm assuming that this means we're covered even though we booked after 15th December 2016......? Will we be reimbursed for the extra costs as well...? Any info appreciated.

As this is a package via an intermediary you'll need to go back to Teletext Holidays who will claim any refund from ATOL for you.
  • I did the same with my Post Office Credit Card - the value of the flights was £166, done as one transaction - this puts my scenario in the 'over £100 on your credit card/section 75' category.

So, POCC said I have to write to Disputes with details and to mention 'Monarch have ceased trading as of 2nd October 2017 and therefore are unable to provide goods/services I have paid for'.

I, like many others, appear to have kneejerked today and booked flights with another provider (Ryanair in my case) because I read that Monarch will not be flying at all.

I was due to fly out to Lisbon on Thursday morning with Monarch and return on Sunday afternoon with Ryanair. I initially saw the flights for £70 and they escalated to £230 upon booking - I suppose that's basic business/supply and demand - but I did think it was disgusting.

I'm being realistic and only expecting the £166 I initially paid out, as I can only imagine they'll tell me I had a choice to book the £230 flight or not - even though I've got a hotel and return flight booked!

I'm amazed Ryanair haven't utilised this as an opportunity to clear their own downed flights - there's literally an entire workforce and equipment who could continue to clear them well in to the new year!

I hope the Monarch staff are able to secure something with Christmas a matter of weeks away.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Currently £90,000+/- over 18 years!
    Best MoneySaving Moments of this year?
    - I saved £150 by repairing my MacBook myself using online guides!
    - I went back to Uni, so I've purchased a TOTUM (NUS) Card
    - I saved 6 months of Amazon Prime by signing up to Amazon Prime Student
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm amazed Ryanair haven't utilised this as an opportunity to clear their own downed flights - there's literally an entire workforce and equipment who could continue to clear them well in to the new year!

Give them a bit of time. Monarch failed less than 24hrs ago.
  • hi we booked flights with Monarch, we are ATOL protected but have just booked flights with another airline to replace the Monarch ones that was at a premium can i claim the extra cost back.
  • Hi. I flew with Monarch last week, which was delayed 9 hours. Am i still entitled to compensation?
    thanks
  • N4t4lie
    I did the same with my Post Office Credit Card - the value of the flights was £166, done as one transaction - this puts my scenario in the 'over £100 on your credit card/section 75' category.

Be careful as if each person's flight was under £100 they may argue that S75 doesn't cover this; however, if they do say S75 doesn't cover it you can still use chargeback to get your original flight money back.

If S75 does apply you may find they can cover the extra cost though and it's definitely worth a try claiming. When Low Cost went bust people were asked to pay for their hotels again and in a lot of cases this was more than the original price paid. S75 covered the difference, I don't see how this would be different even though it is your flight that has been cancelled.

Read up all you can on S75 and chargeback on Martin's pages and keep at them. Also be patient, it is not a quick process but you should get some money back.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    calvey88 wrote: »
    Hi. I flew with Monarch last week, which was delayed 9 hours. Am i still entitled to compensation?
    thanks

Yes you are entitled to compensation.

Unfortunately it would be Monarch that you would claim from and they are insolvent, so the chances of you getting any money is remote. In theory, you could make a claim, that claim wouldn't get a response; you could then spend ££ taking Monarch to court and getting a verdict that they owe you compensation. You would then put in your claim with whoever is handling their insolvency and be awarded pennies in your pound. Really not worth the effort.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • N4t4lie
    calvey88 wrote: »
    Hi. I flew with Monarch last week, which was delayed 9 hours. Am i still entitled to compensation?
    thanks

Other people on here have said the airline pays the compensation so sadly it looks unlikely that you can claim I'm afraid. If you do find out anything different let us know though.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    Other people on here have said the airline pays the compensation so sadly it looks unlikely that you can claim I'm afraid. If you do find out anything different let us know though.

There is no other information to find out. The advice you have got on here is absolutely correct. When claiming flight delay compensation, you are claiming from the airline that operated your flight. And if that airline was Monarch, then that airline doesn't exist anymore, nobody to claim from*

*well, you could technically lodge a claim with the administrators if you got a court to rule in your favour but as another poster says, won't be worth it.
  • Jones578
    Jones578 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have booked my ticket via Expedia that is due to fly out on next Monday (9/10) and return on Friday (13/10) with a car rental. I have received ATOL cert that states both items on it.
    I want an alternatively flight that flies at similar time. I checked Skyscanner and found there is a BA flight that does it but for a significant more cost.
    I called Expedia and they say they will not arrange alternative flight for me. They said the only option for me is to call my card issuer and claim for charge back.
    Is it true?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport