Modelling agency warning (First Step Modelling / Distinctive Model Advice)

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 September 2017 at 6:55PM
    Options
    jackielim wrote: »
    I have encouraged them to write their own response in this thread...

They will need permission from MSE to post here. (Sorry, but I don't know the rules or process for granting permission).

Here's a report on the issue which has some useful info about legal changes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/11450178/new-rules-introduced-to-crack-down-on-scam-model-agents
  • roscoecat
    Options
    Am sure if they disagree they can easily email MSE with a response, similar to how they emailed OP with what seems to be a scare email. Pretty sure MSE will allow them to reply, in the spirit of fairness for all.

I googled their trustpilot review and seems like OP not the only one to have fallen for this.

Strangely their trustpilot score is quite high but scanning through the reviews you can see some odd 5 star reviews that pop up all at the same time on the same day after a negative review... Hmm! Don't know what people make of it but my spidey sense are tingley... :money:
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    - In the coverage above, modelling agencies have stated that the photos provided {Text removed by MSE Investigator} are not suitable to be used as a model's portfolio (and this could be potential grounds upon which to take them through a Small Claims case based on the Sale of Goods Act principles).

Also if you look on the sites of the big modelling agencies they usually state what pics you need to send if you are interested in modelling. They usually ask for normal snapshots without any make-up on. They don't want studio portraits with professional lighting and make-up because they want to see the state of your skin etc. I have looked through modelling portfolios and the sort of portfolio pics they use are nothing like the sort of photos these photo studies take. There are often very natural portraits, photos taken outside on location as well as edgy fashion shoots (sometimes with a bit of nudity).
  • Jeff9ruls
    Options
    My brother is an expert in IT. I'll bring you more information about everything.
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Very, very easy way to avoid {Text removed by MSE Investigator}

A decent modelling agency will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER ask for money from a potential model [and that includes PHOTOSHOOTS].

If they ask for money...RUN!!!!
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2017 at 10:41AM
    Options
    I know! Especially as the respected model agencies will tell you if you have what it takes for free. For example - http://www.elitemodel.co.uk/become.web

The other thing is to go somewhere where model scouts are known to hang out (I know a lot of models get scouted at Clothes Show Live). You could probably have a weekend at Clothes Show Live for less than the price of a dodgy photo agency shoot!
  • jackielim
    Options
    Another update on my correspondence with FSM.

Previously, in response to their e-mail about my negative reviews, I invited them to make their own comments on MSE and TrustPilot.

Today they responded to say that I have to reveal my real name on all my reviews, before they will engage with the public.

This is very strange to me - does anyone has any ideas why they have made such a request? I have used my initials for TrustPilot, and have used a pseudonym for MSE.
  • roscoecat
    Options
    Right.

Perhaps they visited this thread and was intimidated by all the strange names they saw here.... I mean, what kind of parent names their child 'maninthestreet'...'teddysmum'... 'Computersaysno'.... maybe they are concerned that I am actually a talking cat!

:rotfl:

Sorry "modelling" agency, sounds like a poor excuse to sidestep explaining your "business".

"I absolutely refuse to follow @therock unless he changes his internet handle to HIS REAL NAME! Shame on you Dwayne Johnson! SHAME! Oh by the way, I have an urgent modelling opportunity and I think you're 100% the face we're looking for..."

:rotfl:
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jackielim wrote: »
    Today they responded to say that I have to reveal my real name on all my reviews, before they will engage with the public.

This is very strange to me - does anyone has any ideas why they have made such a request? I have used my initials for TrustPilot, and have used a pseudonym for MSE.

I think that they are simply putting unrealistic barriers in front of making a public statement.

I appreciate that businesses need to an extent to be protective of their reputations, however, I am VERY wary of those who seek to manipulate the after sales experience by trying to control adverse comment.

I doubt that they would/will say anything unexpected, and if they wish to deny themselves a right to reply that's their prerogative.
  • jackielim
    jackielim Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2017 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    These {Text removed by MSE Investigator} have definitely been covered by the usual consumer programs on TV & Radio.

As others have mentioned:-

- No reputable modelling agency requires payment from candidates prior to assessing their suitability.

- In the coverage above, modelling agencies have stated that the photos provided {Text removed by MSE Investigator} are not suitable to be used as a model's portfolio (and this could be potential grounds upon which to take them through a Small Claims case based on the Sale of Goods Act principles).

A question on the small claims case: would it be possible to take an organisation that has not registered on Companies House through a Small Claims case? I am under the impression that in order to sue anyone, they must either be an individual or a business entity - however, FSM does not fall under any of these categories.

Another complication regarding taking them to court is that I do not have any contractual evidence that they said that it is a requirement to have the photoshoot and the retouched images for the job application. They will probably just deny having made that statement as part of their sales tactic.

What I do have is the job advertisement sent to my e-mail (see below) - having done some searches on it, I think it is likely to be fake as I cannot find any companies called Iconoclast that would do catalogues for Freemans, Jacamo, etc. Could they perhaps be asked to show evidence that they had actually applied for the job with the candidates' photos as part of the application?

//Job Advertisement via First Step Modelling//

Summer Catalogue

Company: Iconoclast
    Catalogue : FREEMANS, JACAMO, LOOK AGAIN, PREMIER MAN
    Production Type: Online
    Salary: £1200
    Duration: 9th - 11th June
    Closing Date: 05/06/17
    Restrictions: Aged from 18 to 45
    Production Details: We are shooting a series of films for the Spring/Summer Catalogues. These will be used on their websites, as well as in-store to promote their seasonal clothing.
    Casting will take place beginning of June, with the shoot taking place on the 9th and 11th June, all in central London.

The rate of £1200 will cover three days shooting, and include usage for 18 months in-store and online worldwide.

The films will be comical and whimsical, with a very refined sense of style, and display the occasion wear and gifting offered during the summer season. Two will be produced, each 30 seconds in length.

Select a character
    Fashion Models to represent clothing brands
    Description: Male and Female, 18-45
    Min Age: 18
    Max Age: 45

//End of Job Advert//
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income