PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2016 at 6:36PM
    Thanks for the poll zippy, glad we are all in one place again. I hope MrsLW, GQ and the other rgular posters will be along soon.
    Welcome to the new posters.
    In prepping news today's downpour refilled the waterbutt which now seems mozzie lava free thanks to the wu liquid tip. I've added a little more today after the rain.

Today's prepping has also consisted of joining zippys Christmas thread and telling ds2 to put anything he wants to take on next weeks residential in the wash tonight if he wants it washed dried and packed for Monday.

Tonight's plan is to finish a book I'm reading and maybe do some crochet.

I thought I liked Andrea leadsom as she came across quite well in the debates but wondered if she had the experience to cope as PM however I really went off her today after hearing the crass comments made re the fact she has children while Theresa May is childless.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • singlestep
    singlestep Posts: 241
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    maryb wrote: »
    Do tell Singlestep? Always interesting to hear what skills people are planning to learn.

There's always someone on here who is knowledgeable

Hah. Perhaps spendthriftness isn't all that you'd despair of! A few years ago, I had virtually no skills. I grew up in a family with parents who worked. We were in an inner city flat and now I'm in an outskirts of city flat where I can't even get herbs to grow at the window. I worked full-time alongside studies from the age of 16 and now I've got a reasonable income but am usually very time poor. I think that a lot of the basics that an adult might take for granted, I was never really able to learn from my parents who either didn't have them themselves or circumstances prevented it before it would have been appropriate.

For me this has meant teaching myself how to cook over the past few years, some basic DIY and re-learning basic knitting, crocheting and sewing skills. Appalling as I'm rapidly approaching middle age :rotfl: My colleagues, male and female, with one notable exception, don't seem to be any better than me and so I'd perhaps had low expectations of myself. Improving and learning to make basic preps has made me a bit more resilient, so I do have a BOB, a winter BOB kept at work, and back-ups of all important documents.

I've also struggled with low self-confidence and anxiety over the years which had caused some set-backs. However, going forward: jam and preserves, more DIY, first aid and basic 'outdoors' skills would probably be a priority. I'm starting from a very low starting point I tell myself that some progress is better than none ...
  • Hammering down with rain here. :(
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2016 at 7:06PM
    Oh Doveling sorry never answered your query of if I got to speak to the head re my course. Yes I did and he was equally vague and told me to keep him posted but a chat with the executive head on way out got me being told I can poss get course cheaper throu a school contact so I am to speak to finance person and exec head again on Monday and not rush to sign up to that college. Glad we walked out at the same time. Apparently he hadn't been told of my plans which I was told he had, so glad I didn't sign on the dotted line.

We've had the rain most of the day Bob, I think most of the country is clear tomorrow.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Singlestep you are doing really well. Knowing the direction you want to go next is a big step.

BB send that stuff that's hammering down my way please.

Mrs M what a happy, chance, money saving conversation!

I'm keeping DD2's two dogs this week while she is out of town working. One of the little rascals has decided to potty indoors, which she has never done before. :mad: I'm really teed off as it is not my fault her mommy has to travel. Any suggestions?
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Any suggestions?

A cork. :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    A cork. :D

Or a nappy?
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 July 2016 at 7:46PM
    You two! I:rotfl::rotfl:
    Although I know some use diapers/nappies, she would take it off. This is a dog who can do almost anything. We thaw meat on top of the fridge because she uses the drawer handles to climb up on the cabinets. I have lost several chicken and beef packages to this scamp because I forget she can get to nearly anything. I would keep her in the back yard if it weren't so hot. She may still find herself out there with a big bowl of water.

Prepping thought today: rotate my stockpile of food. Buy extra of what we eat but eat what we buy in order bought. I'm thinking about a few items at the back of one of my shelves. I'm really bad about shoving the old stuff to the back and putting the newly bought in front. Must change that habit!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like a collar and chain in the shade with some water are the only solution. And suggesting to DD2 that she trains her dog properly...
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Singlestep, It sounds as if you are already more prepared than most of the population. I was never taught anything by my working mother and taught myself to cook sew and decorate. To this day I love getting to a certain level of competence in things and then I get bored. I used to beat myself up about it, being a dilettante and all that, and then I realised that it's the learning process I enjoy and there's nothing wrong with that. So though I don't have a very high level in expertise in anything I can turn my hand to most things .

I find I go in cycles. I often revisit interests I was previously jaded with after a goodish break. I don't think I could ever be a wholehearted follower of Marie Kondo for that reason as once I am bored with something, all the tools and supplies no longer bring me joy. But I know myself well enough by now to know that they will again at some point in time.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure