Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Sue, I wish I had your attitude to life. :)

It's a fairly recent thing, 5 years ago I was a bitter bitter woman :o, 10 years ago I was in the depths of despair.

I'm out the other side now, still not much money but with a much improved attitude to life.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • SingleSue
    edited 9 May 2016 at 1:50AM
    :rotfl: Re. Mrs K. I think you're right, she doesn't like being told what to do by anyone (least of all me) and usually does the opposite. :mad: Thing is I always try to accommodate her wishes.

I do try to be kind and do try to help others; I'm not a complete p***k. Not convinced I do enough though.

I hate, hate, hate being told what to do...don't mind being asked though.

Re the last bit of your post - You do help others, you give free music lessons! It may not seem much to you but you have to believe me, I would have been kissing your feet and giving you cake if the same opportunity had been available here.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    SingleSue wrote: »
    It's a fairly recent thing, 5 years ago I was a bitter bitter woman :o, 10 years ago I was in the depths of despair.

I'm out the other side now, still not much money but with a much improved attitude to life.

Perhaps there's hope for me yet, then? :rotfl:
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I hate, hate, hate being told what to do...don't mind being asked though.

Re the last bit of your post - You do help others, you give free music lessons! It may not seem much to you but you have to believe me, I would have been kissing your feet and giving you cake if the same opportunity had been available here.

:rotfl: Wife thinks I'm patronising.

I suppose I do help others but I've confessed in the past and will do again that it is somewhat selfish of me as "giving something back" makes me feel a bit better about myself.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    LSD (low spend day) today and Mrs K took lunch to work so no spending for her. Can't say I did a lot of work, apart from a few bits to the exterior of the house (first time in a long time) the weather has been far too nice for "work" work. Got the TR out, enjoyed the sun and took son to Chatsworth for a mini picnic after school. Dogs stayed at home, weather was far too nice to be spending time in a LR. :rotfl: Did get out with them a couple of times today when the weather cooled though.

Parents back from Spain, so handing their dog back tomorrow.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

I suppose I do help others but I've confessed in the past and will do again that it is somewhat selfish of me as "giving something back" makes me feel a bit better about myself.

So if being nice and "giving" is selfish, then so be it, its a win, win situation :A and the person "receiving" will not be looking at you, thinking your selfish :) far from it :D
    LSD (low spend day) today :j and Mrs K took lunch to work so no spending for her:j. Can't say I did a lot of work:D, apart from a few bits to the exterior of the house (first time in a long time):j the weather has been far too nice for "work" work:p. Got the TR out, enjoyed the sun and took son to Chatsworth for a mini picnic after school:j. Dogs stayed at home, weather was far too nice to be spending time in a LR:cool:. :rotfl: Did get out with them a couple of times today when the weather cooled though:T.

Parents back from Spain, so handing their dog back tomorrow.

Weather was nice here, but still a strong cool almost cold wind
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Alex Enlightened self interest is a well recognised concept and a common driver for many people's good deeds. People do good for others but also reap a benefit for themselves by doing it. It doesn't have to be of no benefit to you to be of value to the people you are helping.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • SingleSue

In answer to your question, oh yes, there is still hope. Mind you, I wouldn't have believed it 5 years ago for myself. I took a relationship with an old friend to restore my sanity, my self confidence, my feeling of self worth etc to allow me to look forward rather than always looking back and feeling bitter.

Re the last bit - I would say that is absolutely normal. We do things to make not only others feel better but to feel better ourselves. It is not at all selfish or patronising.

As an example, two of my boys went to a special needs playgroup, they did have paid staff but they also relied heavily on volunteers. If they had not been there, I am not sure I would have made it, they certainly helped me to see there was still hope especially one particular volunteer (a semi retired judge) who took youngest under her wing, saw his potential and supported not only him but me too. She became youngest's one to one support whilst he was there and he came on in leaps and bounds with her input.

She did it not only to give back but also to receive the buzz of giving back to society, in short, it made her feel good. I didn't see it as her being selfish to feel like that, I was just very grateful that she had decided to bring her skills to the playgroup and doing a very good job whilst at it.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks all. :)

I've not been on here in a few days. Had a lot to do but have been keeping up with the spreadsheet. Rather ashamed to admit the spending has got out of control over the past week or so in prep for our holiday. :o Far too much bought, some I daren't even admit to on here. Won't be happening when we get back as this is yet another month that we'll not make an overpayment.

Decided to buy a 9.7" iPad Pro in the end with the hope it will last well being the newest model out. Also bought the pen and keyboard for it. Not a cheap purchase but so far I'm pleased with it. :)

However, after all this bad news about me returning to habits of old, I've spent everyday for the past week decluttering the house and it's starting to look a lot better. Will be pleased to return to a presentable house after our holiday. Wife pleased, so that's a bonus.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Hope you have a nice time on your holiday! :) Well done on the decluttering, we desperately need to do that as well.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Rather ashamed to admit the spending has got out of control over the past week or so in prep for our holiday. :o Far too much bought, some I daren't even admit to on here.

I didn't realise Speedos were so expensive!:eek::D
    Hope you all have a really great holiday when it comes.:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family