Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• terry2
    terry2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, all you knowledgeable people out there.

I am waiting to have cataract surgury on my eye, and am thinking of taking a holiday afterwards (probably a cruise) and would like to get on and book something. Do you know of any insurers who will let you take out a policy to cover pre-existing medical conditions (I have a number of other problems) while you are are waiting for an operation.

Many thanks in advance.
  • projexe
    projexe Posts: 12 Forumite
    Your recommendation of Moneysupermarket for quoting Travel Insurance is flawed in the case of a family with a 6th former over 18 and a younger child?

Can't get a quote as a family (ooh there's an over-18). Can't get a quote as a group (ooh there's an under-18). Yet policies (e.g. Asda) do exist for families with students in full time education.

I think you need to cover this instance in your options.

Thanks
  • plumer
    plumer Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi - try avanti travel insurance based in essex. Call on 0800 066 5604

have used in the past and highly recommend

terry2 wrote: »
    hi, all you knowledgeable people out there.

I am waiting to have cataract surgury on my eye, and am thinking of taking a holiday afterwards (probably a cruise) and would like to get on and book something. Do you know of any insurers who will let you take out a policy to cover pre-existing medical conditions (i have a number of other problems) while you are are waiting for an operation.

Many thanks in advance.
  • plumer
    Avanti travel insurance might be a good idea
    luci wrote: »
    an over 18 year old isn't a child, they are an adult and will need an adult policy.
  • plumer
    I know avanti covers copd - good luck
    wideboards wrote: »
    over 65's. Have been scouting around for reasonable low cost annual european travel insurance. Stupid bank and household insurance, which used to be free, will not cover us now we are over 65 - one day you're covered - next you're not - bloody silly. I am type 2 diabetic, wife has slight copd. Best quote was £128 per annum for both of us for european annual cover from direct line, excluding those two ailments. Anyone got anything better to offer?
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Anyone know if it is possible to get a baggage only policy?

DS1 (19) is going to Camp America, you have to take out their medical insurance but the baggage is a separate option at £72 - seems a lot.

I've looked at backpacker policies (he will be away 3-4 months) but they cover medical as well.

Many thanks
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Anyone know if it is possible to get a baggage only policy?

DS1 (19) is going to Camp America, you have to take out their medical insurance but the baggage is a separate option at £72 - seems a lot.
    Does your home insurance have worldwide personal possessions cover?
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    rs65 wrote: »
    Does your home insurance have worldwide personal possessions cover?
    Yes but only for 60 days and he will be gone for approx 4 months so it is not long enough.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • plumer
    I always recommend Avanti - have used for the past few years (although never had to claim). Very friendly people and good prices.

robberbill wrote: »
    hi,

ive just been asked to find some travel insurance for a 70 year old family member who is flying out to Australia in a couple of weeks. She is there for two months and has no existing medical conditions.

two questions -
    is that enough time to open up a nationwide account and get insurance that way?

if not can anybody recommend another company?

on money supermarket - the cheapest is allianz at either £87 or £106 (cant see the difference between the two)

although having looked at the company reviews online there are only a few and a real mixture of good and bad

Any advice or suggestions?

thanks
  • Gamegal
    Gamegal Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After receiving the last email from Martin & needing annual travel insurance (Europe) from early September I entered our details & medical issues on the moneysupermarket.com

Both my husband & I take medication for high BP, he takes meds for high cholestrol &, as part of the free checks for men aged 65+, he has recently been found to have a small abdominal aortic aneurysm (3.2cm) which, he was advised, would be checked annually.

After spending ages entering everything I had a message saying there had nothing that met our conditions!

Crazy!

We have property in Spain & need cover for up to 90days a trip.

We were told by friends who do their insurance through LV that they were good for their conditions & they want roughly £150 for annual cover for up to 90 days a trip .... is this good?

Thanks for reading.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure