PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Have you put the central heating on yet?

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Our Hive took about fifteen minutes for me to fit and has worked flawlessly for two years now. No wires needed. Excellent piece of kit.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Our Hive took about fifteen minutes for me to fit and has worked flawlessly for two years now. No wires needed. Excellent piece of kit.
    I am intrigued, going by the BG quote I had I thought it required some expertise to fit (although the day-to-day operation is notoriously simple, and I know many are happy with it). My question is whether it’s worth fitting in advance of changing radiators, a boiler etc or there’s any advantage to waiting?

It’s been cooler today, although you wouldn’t have thought so in my home - my little niece whipped her blouse off and ran around the house semi-naked before she would be persuaded to cover up. Even then with the incentive of Peppa Pig :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gloomendoom
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I am intrigued, going by the BG quote I had I thought it required some expertise to fit (although the day-to-day operation is notoriously simple, and I know many are happy with it). My question is whether it’s worth fitting in advance of changing radiators, a boiler etc or there’s any advantage to waiting?

Fitting a Hive is incredibly easy if you already have a central heating timer with an industry standard back plate. Installation involves loosening two screws, snapping the Hive receiver on to the backplate in place of the original timer, tightening the screws, plugging the the Hive Hub into a mains socket, connecting the hub to a spare Ethernet port in your router, putting the batteries into the thermostat. All done bar the scheduling. If you like, you can drill two holes to fix the thermostat to the wall.

Incidentally, our boiler was installed circa 1972. I wouldn't wait.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fitting a Hive is incredibly easy if you already have a central heating timer with an industry standard back plate. Installation involves loosening two screws, snapping the Hive receiver on to the backplate in place of the original timer, tightening the screws, plugging the the Hive Hub into a mains socket, connecting the hub to a spare Ethernet port in your router, putting the batteries into the thermostat. All done bar the scheduling. If you like, you can drill two holes to fix the thermostat to the wall.

Incidentally, our boiler was installed circa 1972. I wouldn't wait.
    Thanks, will have a go then :)

Still no heating on! It’s been a lovely autumn day and I’m quite happy snuggling under a duvet on the sofa. Very hygge, I have no idea why people want to venture out on dark Saturday evenings :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Not yet but new intelligent electric blanket is certainly on!
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,994 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

With all due sarcasm.. whoop-de-doo for you :p Just as a matter of interest.. how far apart are all your bits for it? I have a rather large house and I just wonder if they are all simply too far apart. My meter for my solar panels won't stay connected either and I don't know about the smart meters because I was never given the monitors to go with those for some unknown reason.

I've had mine 5 years and it hasn't worked for most of that time.. I've had, in total, 6 thermostats, 5 hubs, 3 receivers and so many call outs I've lost count..

It was a piece of cake to fit.. however, getting it to stay connected is a titanic task.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 22 October 2017 at 12:43AM
    pigpen wrote: »
    With all due sarcasm.. whoop-de-doo for you :p Just as a matter of interest.. how far apart are all your bits for it? I have a rather large house and I just wonder if they are all simply too far apart.

That could be the reason, although our house is a rambling old cottage with ironstone walls that range from four to two feet thick and the Hive seems to manage where the BT superdooper Smartrouter fails.

Why not try moving the bits closer together? Also, if you've had it five years, it's probably the old version, which may make a difference.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my house is still too warm for ch, 20 degrees downstairs in the living areas this morning, it is always cooler upstairs. Pellet stove on for an hour or so every few days to top up the tank heat, above what the solar panel input can do. PV = electricity, solar panel= water heating. It looks as though I won`t be using much fuel at all this winter season, maybe for 4 months at max of one 10kg bag a day, if it is very cold out
  • No still off and the sun is shining here in Kent.Weather has been very mild and my friend has cornflowers still flowering in her garden !!!.The longer this mild spell lasts the better Even the windy day we had yesterday has now dropped to barely a breeze after all the predictions for howling gales it just never happened.My hebe shrub in the garden has flowered three times this year and the grass is still growing very odd weather at the moment,it will be a shock when it does finally turn nippy I'm sure

JackieO xx
  • Stuart_P
    Stuart_P Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Primrose wrote: »
    I’m intrigued by the thought that tealights can effectively raise a room temperature by a noticeable amount, I suppose if it’s small room this is possible but I doubt whether in a long through-lounge/dining room like ours they would be similarly effective. I shall have to give it a try though!

not sure using candles to raise a room temperature is a great idea given the fumes that most candles give off..

'Most candles are made of paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (both are known carcinogens). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes.'

https://wellnessmama.com/22656/dont-use-scented-candles/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport