Financial help for distance learner at uni on universal credit!!

LOANS ABAILABLE TO A SINGLE PARENT DISTANCE LEARNER ON BENEFITS!!
I've recently got a place on a 1 year predominantly distance learning B.A Hons degree course at the university of Surrey. There are 3 weekends on campus at guilford and I live in Liverpool! I've been told I can get the tuition fee loan but no other financial aid for books computer software or more importantly the money to get to the campus! I am on universal credit and have just been told that if I do this course I will be penalised and my money will be stopped as it's a degree! Even though I'm still available for work! I have codes to open a student bank account but apperently don't qualify as it's a single year! I'm on the verge of giving up as there seems to be non where I can get assistance from.. does anybody know of any student bank accounts I could open with an overdraft or any grant or bursery I could get anywhere? It's ridiculous that there is nothing out there for me and I am going to loose any money I do have by going ahead with my degree😣

Comments

• Can you not work part time to fund it?
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • I'm a self employed actor I get work from time to time which i can use money for my course but as I won't have money in the next 2 weeks that won't work... also I'm a single parent so I need the financial support when not working for my daughter and I
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Abi2384 wrote: »
    I'm a self employed actor I get work from time to time which i can use money for my course but as I won't have money in the next 2 weeks that won't work... also I'm a single parent so I need the financial support when not working for my daughter and I

Sorry but there are no companies that will offer loans to someone on benefits. The answer here is perhaps you need to rethink your career and look for a job paying more money or even full-time work if possible.

No banks will allow you to open a student bank account because you are not a uni student doing a full 3 or 4 year undergraduate course.

Before applying for this course how did you think you were going to pay for things like books etc?

If the benefits people have said that if you do the course your money will be stopped then not sure what answer you expect us to come up with? If you need benefits to live, then you can't do the course.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I'm a self employed actor I get work from time to time which i can use money for my course but as I won't have money in the next 2 weeks that won't work... also I'm a single parent so I need the financial support when not working for my daughter and I

You won't find anyone who will lend to you except doorstep lenders like Provident and Shopacheck who will charge an absolute fortune and as you quite clearly are living hand to mouth as it is this would most likely be the start of some serious debt issues.

Sounds like the self employed acting isn't generating sufficient income to live on so you need to think about putting that on the back burner and getting a job whilst you do your degree. Good news is employment agencies will be wanting lots of people for warehouse work at this time of year. You could register, start work this week and get paid the following week.
  • Good news got an acting job so no warehouse work for me! I was told that I would be entitled to learners allowance etc before I enrolled I didn't just jump in with no idea how to pay it! Also I get to keep universal credit as it's a distance course! Problem sorted!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Is this their theatre course? If so I'd give thought to how much it will actually improve your employability.

Congratulations on your acting job. Is that for the whole year?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Good news got an acting job so no warehouse work for me!

Is this another part-time gig or is it an ongoing role? Otherwise you may find yourself in the same predicament down the line.
    I was told that I would be entitled to learners allowance etc before I enrolled I didn't just jump in with no idea how to pay it!

Did you not think to actually check for yourself?

https://www.gov.uk/parents-learning-allowance/eligibility
    If you’re a student from England with dependent children you may qualify if you’re taking:
    • a full-time undergraduate course

Of which you are not doing because yours is not considered a full-time undergraduate course.

Also I get to keep universal credit as it's a distance course! Problem sorted!
    I am on universal credit and have just been told that if I do this course I will be penalised and my money will be stopped as it's a degree!

So which one is it? Your benefits get stopped or not?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure