Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Single Sue, I so understand. I used to beg to watch programmes on TV just so I knew what others at school were talking about. I tried to explain to my mum that I felt so 'left out' by not watching something one Sunday night but she didn't get it at all. I can't even remember what wanted to watch but I do remember the feeling that it was the most important thing in the world at that point.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • I actually relish the "difference". I detest soaps and we are not much of a tv watching family.

Whilst I don't stop DD watching programmes its not part of our normal routine. I find a lot in common with people when I admit to hating soaps rather than having to force myself to read about people I don't know who "star" in to programmes I really don't care about.

I have to say kids are like sponges though, even with limited iPad and to time my DD seems to know about all the latest toys, fads and characters.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 October 2016 at 11:57PM
    My son has no interest and doesn't seem bothered about a lot of the things other children seem to share (TV programmes / chart music etc). This is perhaps because he gets a lot of my time and we have some rather involved interests and I do heavily focus on developing him academically (after school my son has an average of an hour's music practise, an hour developing key areas in reading, writing and maths and an hour dog walking). I've no desire to become a TV watching family or to learn about soap operas and the like. That said, if my son really wanted to see / do something and it was appropriate for his age I wouldn't stand in the way.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I wasn't bothered either Alex prior to that experience as I had far more important things to be doing and had no interest in stuff like that but when you are made to feel a complete outsider/an idiot/stupid etc at a very sensitive time in your life, it hurts and it stays with you.

I still don't watch the soaps but I keep myself abreast with just enough knowledge garnered in a quick skim read of my mum's magazine (handily, they have a 'ready reckoner' bit so that you don't have to read pages of stuff, only a few lines) so that if the situation arises again, I am prepared.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I agree that in the past everyone was watching the same programmes, but now there are so many more channels and choice that it doesn't seem to apply so much. I wasn't allowed to stay up late for Dallas until the later years - sad times :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There's nothing wrong with soaps in moderation, Mrs E is partial to a bit of Eastenders for the tragicomedy.

For me, TV is something for late autumn and winter. The weather is usually foul, it's cold and the couch (and blanket) of least resistance is usually an attractive option. I save my skipping in wildflower meadows and craft projects for the warmer months.

That reminds me, still got two bedrooms to finish in the next month :eek:

I never had a full-time TV in the house until I was in Primary 4 (9 or so)? It never did me any harm and I was quite advanced in terms of reading ability etc.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I wasn't bothered either Alex prior to that experience as I had far more important things to be doing and had no interest in stuff like that but when you are made to feel a complete outsider/an idiot/stupid etc at a very sensitive time in your life, it hurts and it stays with you.

I still don't watch the soaps but I keep myself abreast with just enough knowledge garnered in a quick skim read of my mum's magazine (handily, they have a 'ready reckoner' bit so that you don't have to read pages of stuff, only a few lines) so that if the situation arises again, I am prepared.

Sue, I've no desire to be prepared with such information. Can't say not being able to join in with such conversation would bother me. To be honest, whilst I've not been invited to partake in such a conversation if I were I'd just be upfront about being uninterested.
    newgirly wrote: »
    I agree that in the past everyone was watching the same programmes, but now there are so many more channels and choice that it doesn't seem to apply so much. I wasn't allowed to stay up late for Dallas until the later years - sad times :rotfl:

My parents wouldn't let me even have a radio. :rotfl:
    There's nothing wrong with soaps in moderation, Mrs E is partial to a bit of Eastenders for the tragicomedy.

For me, TV is something for late autumn and winter. The weather is usually foul, it's cold and the couch (and blanket) of least resistance is usually an attractive option. I save my skipping in wildflower meadows and craft projects for the warmer months.

That reminds me, still got two bedrooms to finish in the next month :eek:

I never had a full-time TV in the house until I was in Primary 4 (9 or so)? It never did me any harm and I was quite advanced in terms of reading ability etc.

I think an awful lot of women like to watch trash TV / soap operas, Ed.

Agree with TV being something to watch in the winter months.

Are you done with the house after finishing the two bedrooms?

I'm allowing my son to watch about 1 hour of TV per week, so it's hardly going to become a full time interest. I think there's a strong correlation between children who watch little TV being more literate than their TV loving counterparts.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Had a really bad day at volunteer school today. Not sure what it is with the children there and stealing my things but after last year's pen stealing incident, today a silver pencil I've had since I was about 16 went missing and has not yet been returned. I have not just mislaid it as I did not leave the room and the room has been thoroughly searched. To be honest, I don't think I'll be going back after the Assistant Head said she believed I ought not bring such an item into school and refused to have the child I suspected searched or the police called in to search the child. :mad: :mad: :mad: This pencil has sat in my violin case for nigh on twenty years and has a lot of sentimental value. I just hope the child's parent finds the pencil and has it sent into school but I fear it's now too late. Can probably claim it's value from insurance but that's not really the point.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sorry to hear that Alex, did you see the child take the pencil?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    House finished bar some carpet and the kitchen, which will probably get a mini makeover late next year.

Sorry to hear about the pencil, children can be total kleptomaniacs :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport