Cycle to work scheme

Comments

• geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    RobotBlue wrote: »
    Also, don't forget extras such as inner tubes, tyre slime, pump, bell, reflectors (strangely my new bike came without front or rear, making it not road legal), bottle & cage, lights, helmet, high vis clothing, gloves, lock, datatag, etc.

Inner tubes are not really an extra! :eek:

What's tyre slime? :confused:
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    The confusion about which shops you can use etc. is because most employers don't manage it themselves. Instead they use a third party like Cyclescheme or Halfords to manage it on their behalf.

However it works at a particular company it's a great way of getting a cheaper bike. I was talking to the owner of my Local Bike Shop and he loves it, his sales have gone up dramatically because of it.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    RobotBlue wrote: »
    ............. reflectors (strangely my new bike came without front or rear, making it not road legal) ..........
    And actually illegal for them to sell in that condition.
  • The cycle scheme looks good. My employer does not want to participate in this which is a shame. I know a few who would jump at the oppertunity to cycle to work.

Instead they have opted for a car sharing scheme, which i think promotes lazyness due to more people in cars, and they get to park closer to the front door. (About 20 yards to be exact).

Is they any way of doing the bike scheme through the local council and not through work. ??

Thanks
  • The cycle scheme looks good. My employer does not want to participate in this which is a shame. I know a few who would jump at the oppertunity to cycle to work.

Instead they have opted for a car sharing scheme, which i think promotes lazyness due to more people in cars, and they get to park closer to the front door. (About 20 yards to be exact).

Is they any way of doing the bike scheme through the local council and not through work. ??

Thanks

It has to be through your emoployer I believe. It took us about five years from first mentioning this to HR to get them to implement it. One thing that helped was pointing out that they could get CycleScheme to administer it for them so there was very little for the company to do. We also produced a petition of all the people in the company who were interested.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Please expand :confused:
    Google is your friend.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • gromituk
    geri1965 wrote: »
    You tell me that when you've tried to repair a puncture in a winter storm (and punctures are more likely in the wet).
    Google is your friend again.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    OH has recently bought a bike on the scheme, but im not sure if the figures are working out right

Hes currently paying £72/m for a bike that cost £1k - so that equates to £864, before hes even paid the fee to buy the bike off his employer at the end of the scheme

Does this sound right?

Flea
  • gromituk
    It's the sort of thing you should really be asking the scheme provider about, but I guess that is a deduction from gross pay. If you had bought the bike via normal channels, you would be paying for it with taxed income, so you would be paying income tax (etc) on top, inflating the price. Or to look at it another way, if you reduce the payments you're making by your income (etc) tax rate, you can then compare it with the retail price.
  • geri1965 wrote: »

I agree, inner tubes are vital to carry - much easier to pop one in than fiddling with a puncture repair kit. One should, of course, also carry any tools required to remove both wheels and suitable disposable gloves and wet-wipes!!

Tyre Slime is a green liquid that you put inside your inner tubes (really easy) and claims to prevent punctures of up to 3mm from causing deflation. It costs about £8-£10 per bottle, which does two wheels. I won't cycle without it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure