New suitcase is 6cm oversized!!!!!

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

That article is about hand luggage, the OP is asking (presumably) about checked luggage. People have their handluggage measured by airlines all the time, not so for checked luggage.
  • I am aware that budget airlines put the maximum weight restriction for free hold on luggage. For instance Ryan Air maximum weight is 10kg. In the past they have a luggage sizer together with a scale on it on the exit gate. But I noticed that since a few years ago there is no more scale on it.

I travel many times a year using budget airlines mainly from London Stansted. While I have seen in a few occasions they demand to put someone luggage which look oversize on the Luggage sizer. I never see they actually check the weight.

Those who know. Do the budget airlines check the weight of the cabin luggage?

If they you have seen they do check the luggage. Have you ever seen they check the weight in the Stansted Airport?

Thanks
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    pantaiema wrote: »
    I am aware that budget airlines put the maximum weight restriction for free hold on luggage. For instance Ryan Air maximum weight is 10kg. In the past they have a luggage sizer together with a scale on it on the exit gate. But I noticed that since a few years ago there is no more scale on it.

I travel many times a year using budget airlines mainly from London Stansted. While I have seen in a few occasions they demand to put someone luggage which look oversize on the Luggage sizer. I never see they actually check the weight.

Those who know. Do the budget airlines check the weight of the cabin luggage?

If they you have seen they do check the luggage. Have you ever seen they check the weight in the Stansted Airport?

Thanks

This thread is about maximum dimensions of hold luggage.

Your question is about weight of hand luggage.
    You'd be better off starting your own thread as your question may get missed or the OP's thread could be derailed.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've travelled a lot and never measured a suitcase ! Cabin bags, yes, but never hold luggage. I've never seen check in staff measure one either.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    meer53 wrote: »
    I've travelled a lot and never measured a suitcase ! Cabin bags, yes, but never hold luggage. I've never seen check in staff measure one either.
    Me neither but it does specifically mention it in their t and c, would be good to know if it's actually going to be implemented though
  • I have probably taken 100 flights all over the world during the past couple years, both short haul and long haul, premium airlines and budget airlines.

I've never had or seen a bag get measured.

My check-in baggage always gets weighed. My hand luggage has only been weighed twice: both times on long haul trips from Asia to London (but not on the other leg).

If you bring something like a surfboard that is obviously oversized you will get charged the oversized baggage fee, but I really doubt anyone would notice 6cm.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    photome wrote: »
    Me neither but it does specifically mention it in their t and c, would be good to know if it's actually going to be implemented though

I can see it being something that someone wrote into the T&Cs but nobody - even check-in staff - are aware of.

MAN airport website says that if you use your own liquid/gel bottles they must state the capacity.
    Can you imagine the chaos of that?
    Since someone mentioned it, I've been through MAN quite a few times with unlabeled containers.
    Maybe it's only an issue if they stop you to check contents.

TCs linear measurements would be an interesting subject to raise on the Air Travel board on TripAdvisor.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I used to have the most massive suitcase! No idea the actual size, but it has almost always been the largest that has ever come out on the belt!! I have travelled to Europe, Asia and the USA and never had it measured. I was also regularly over the weight allowance (by 1 to 3 kilos) and was never charged extra.

I wouldn't worry.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2017 at 9:47AM
    meer53 wrote: »
    photome wrote: »
    I have probably taken 100 flights all over the world during the past couple years, both short haul and long haul, premium airlines and budget airlines.

I've never had or seen a bag get measured.

My check-in baggage always gets weighed. My hand luggage has only been weighed twice: both times on long haul trips from Asia to London (but not on the other leg).

If you bring something like a surfboard that is obviously oversized you will get charged the oversized baggage fee, but I really doubt anyone would notice 6cm.

If it is cabin luggage, in the past Ryan Air did measure the cabin luggage size with tape meter. But nowadays they do not measure it using a tape meter anymore but they ask people to put it in luggage sizer which looks like a blue metal box. The size of luggage sizer is the same size with the maximum size of free cabin luggage. You probably do not notice, but Ryan Air has luggage sizer in all gates they normally use for boarding in London Stansted. Ryan Air luggage sizer could also be seen in many other airports in the UK and Europe as well.

I have seen they ask people to put their luggage in the luggage sizer in a few occasions. If it does not fit they ask you to pay for it or you will be denied boarding on the plane. But of course they do not check it on every cabin baggage. But they might ask you to put it in luggage sizer if it looks oversize.

Ryan Air used to have a scale on the luggage sizer as well, but since a couple of years ago, I do not see them anymore. So if your luggage is a little bit more than 10kg (say 12kgs), there is no way they could charge you or deny you boarding if you refuse to pay as they can not prove it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure