Employer deductions

Options
Hi all

Just left a job to start a new one, from the moment I handed my notice in my manager got really funny with me and was looking for excuses to discipline me although I've worked here for 12 months with a clean slate. He put me in a position where he made it difficult to work there and I ended up serving my notice off work with a fit note for work related stress.
Anyway whilst I was there I was given a van which was previously involved in a shunt and required a new bonnet lights grill bumper and radiator. The guy just fitted a new bumper and bodged everything else which only came apparent 2 months before I left.
6 months into me driving the van the radiator started leaking heavily and the company tried to blame me for damaging the radiator (bear in mind it's a good 10 inches behind the bumper and the bumper is still in brand new condition) I argued this stating the damage was done by previous driver and it was clearly visible that the bumper was in New condition and for me to damage the radiator I would have had to damage the new bumper.
I also was supplied a work pda (galaxy note 3) which I did drop at work from a ladder and cracked the screen.

Today I receive my final wage slip and they've taken 410 for the radiator and 204 for the phone.
I emailed the manager asking what was going on, I can understand a replacement screen on the phone but 204!! I did say I'd get the phone repaired before I leave but because I had the last few weeks off with work related stress they sent an employee around unannounced on the day I sent them the sick note to pick up everything company related so didn't get chance to do that.
The van was supposed to be going through an inspection to see if I had damaged it or previois driver but another employee I still speak to told me they didn't do it and the supervisor changed the radiator himself.
I've asked the manager for invoices for the pda and fornthe repair done on the radiator. He has refused to give me those, surely if I've paid for something I should be allowed to see what I've paid for? I'm assuming it's because he can't tie the radiator to the van because it's will be just a receipt as he done the repair himself and won't have any info about the vehicle it's fitted too (which also may help if I go to small claims/tribunal).
Now I'm not very good at this kind of stuff so I just wanted to know what you guys would do in this situation?
Also in regards to the pda if they've replaced it with a new one which at that price seems likely does that mean the old one now belongs to me? It was only a chip on the screen so a massive overreaction.
He's clearly being an !!!! because I've left and overcharging for everything expecting me to bow down.
614 isn't something I'm going them keep without a fight.
All my contact has been email so I have written proof.
What route should I take now?
Thanks all

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    And what does your contact say about deductions?
  • Kelaroost
    Options
    It's in my contract that they can make deductions but it's the fact I want to dispute the deduction because they've charged me for a radiator someone else damaged before I was given the van... without the independent inspection they said they would do to determine if I had actually done the damage. The pda I'm not disputing because I broke it, just the cost that seems far higher than the cost of replacing a screen they said they were changing.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Kelaroost wrote: »
    It's in my contract that they can make deductions but it's the fact I want to dispute the deduction because they've charged me for a radiator someone else damaged before I was given the van... without the independent inspection they said they would do to determine if I had actually done the damage. The pda I'm not disputing because I broke it, just the cost that seems far higher than the cost of replacing a screen they said they were changing.
    Well you can certainly ask them to evidence the costs. I doubt you are going to get very far on the PDA as there is no requirement for them to just repair it - if they replace it that is their decision. To be honest in terms of the radiator, I would guess that it depends what evidence there is that the damage existed before you got the van. Bumper or not, without a clear evidence trail showing that there was a fault before you got it, saying that the fault only appeared ten months into your having the van does leave it open to question. But you'll have to start with asking them to prove the costs that they have deducted.
  • Kelaroost
    Options
    I have pictures of the van when I got it with all the damage and the van was claimed against when he rode into the back of someone. All the radiator support brackets are broken so it would only require a bumpy road as the rad isn't held in by anything. I understand it doesn't look good it took so long for it to happen but if the van was repaired to a good standard or even inspected after his bump then it would have been picked up before I was issued the van
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    I doubt you are going to get very far on the PDA as there is no requirement for them to just repair it - if they replace it that is their decision.

But surely they have some responsibility to mitigate their costs and can't replace a used phone with a new phone and expect them to pay for the whole thing. If a phone can easily be repaired for £40 to the standard it was before and they decide to buy a new one then that'll be on them.

Why draw the line there, why not charge him for a new van due to the damage?
  • Kelaroost
    Options
    On the subject of the PDA... If I replace a broken item does the broken item then belong to me?
    The PDA had a small crack in the top corner which didn't effect the use of the phone, if so I'll request that back and change the screen myself to recover some of the cost.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    But surely they have some responsibility to mitigate their costs and can't replace a used phone with a new phone and expect them to pay for the whole thing. If a phone can easily be repaired for £40 to the standard it was before and they decide to buy a new one then that'll be on them.

Why draw the line there, why not charge him for a new van due to the damage?
    Because, and I emphasise that this is based on them having actually bought a new one, that is their decision. The screen may be the only visibly damaged component. That does not mean it is. They could decide that to simply repair it without any certainty that the item is now worth repairing, given that this is a low cost item, is not worth that risk. And if that is the decision they make, then it is within their purview. A van is not a low cost item and there is no reason to assume that a repair needed on one part means that the entire of the rest is at any degree of risk. However, in some circumstances vehicles are certainly able to fall into this situation - that is exactly what a write off is.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Kelaroost wrote: »
    On the subject of the PDA... If I replace a broken item does the broken item then belong to me?
    The PDA had a small crack in the top corner which didn't effect the use of the phone, if so I'll request that back and change the screen myself to recover some of the cost.
    No. You are not buying a broken item. You are being charged the price of replacing it (assuming it is replaced) because you broke it. The money you are paying is not part of a transaction to purchase the old damaged PDA
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    No. You are not buying a broken item. You are being charged the price of replacing it (assuming it is replaced) because you broke it. The money you are paying is not part of a transaction to purchase the old damaged PDA

Sangie, I don't understand your response. (I am not saying I disagree, I'm saying that I don't understand what you mean by it.) It seems to me to be natural justice that if the OP is paying to have the item replaced, s/he should be entitled to possession of the old one. In any case, what is to be lost by putting this case to the employer?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Sangie, I don't understand your response. (I am not saying I disagree, I'm saying that I don't understand what you mean by it.) It seems to me to be natural justice that if the OP is paying to have the item replaced, s/he should be entitled to possession of the old one. In any case, what is to be lost by putting this case to the employer?
    Natural justice doesn't exist. They can put the case. They have no right to be agreed with. That is the point. The employer can be required to prove they bought the item to replace a broken one. They cannot be required to give the broken one. This is not a transaction. They are not buying a broken item. They are compensating for something they broke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure