EE Number withheld

I have just started a new phone and B/B contract with EE and forever since it has been available I have used permanent "number withheld" with several Telcos, (including EE 3 years ago), so I do not need to press 141 before every call. But they now tell me that they do not offer this facility due to "fraud"!

EE tell me that since moving to a new system they cannot offer it, despite then telling me that anyone on it before, (the old system), will still continue to be on it. They then tell me that BT will not allow them to offer it, however I have just spoken to BT and am told that BT allow this on there own lines and they have not told EE not to offer this facility

Seems to me if "fraud" were the case they would not continue to offer it to customers on the "old system", (suggesting they are running 2 systems simultaneously), or allow use of 141.

So has anyone managed to get "number withheld" with EE in the recent past and if so how?
Is it worth a complaint to Ofcom?

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Comments

• MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,224
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Taken from the
    THE EE COMMUNITY
    You have a number of options available to you:

1) Phone EE and ask if they have any product or service where they can restrict the calls you get from certain numbers or known list of callers.

2) Register to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), which allows consumers to opt out of receiving any unsolicited telesales calls. Submit your details to the TPS at https://www.tpsonline.org.uk

3) Considering going ex-directory to prevent certain businesses from obtaining your details.

4) Maintain an active Block Caller list via your phone. If a number which isn't withheld calls you, add them to the block list.

I really hope the above steps help and you can resolve this problem.

EE Community Star
    EE Help | Log into My EE
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Taken from the
    THE EE COMMUNITY
    You have a number of options available to you:

1) Phone EE and ask if they have any product or service where they can restrict the calls you get from certain numbers or known list of callers.

2) Register to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), which allows consumers to opt out of receiving any unsolicited telesales calls. Submit your details to the TPS at www.tpsonline.org.uk

3) Considering going ex-directory to prevent certain businesses from obtaining your details.

4) Maintain an active Block Caller list via your phone. If a number which isn't withheld calls you, add them to the block list.

I really hope the above steps help and you can resolve this problem.

EE Community Star
    EE Help | Log into My EE

1) It isn't incoming calls I am concerned with.
    2) I am registered with TPS.
    3) I am ex-directory.
    4) My phone does not have that facility and is nothing to do with my query.

I think you are missing my point, I do not want MY number going out when I dial out, as far as I know all other telcos including BT offer this facility, but the only way I can stop my number going out with EE is to dial 141 first, so by definition the facility is there, they have just taken away the auto option and will not reinstate it.

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    derrick wrote: »
    1) It isn't incoming calls I am concerned with.
    2) I am registered with TPS.
    3) I am ex-directory.
    4) My phone does not have that facility and is nothing to do with my query.

I think you are missing my point, I do not want MY number going out when I dial out, as far as I know all other telcos including BT offer this facility, but the only way I can stop my number going out with EE is to dial 141 first, so by definition the facility is there, they have just taken away the auto option and will not reinstate it.

This is rather an abrupt reply to someone trying to help you.

Surely pressing three buttons isn't a great inconvenience and anyone making lots of withheld number calls could be suspicious, as most people don't have frequent need to be anonymous?

I can imagine several of your calls going unanswered as many of us choose to ignore anonymous callers.
  • derrick
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    This is rather an abrupt reply to someone trying to help you.

Surely pressing three buttons isn't a great inconvenience and anyone making lots of withheld number calls could be suspicious, as most people don't have frequent need to be anonymous?

I can imagine several of your calls going unanswered as many of us choose to ignore anonymous callers.

Wasn't meant to be, but they had got the question back to front.

It isn't a case of just pressing three buttons, more a case of remembering to do so after years of doing so automatically. By not allowing it automatically, but manually via 141, EE are out of step with the other Telcos, and as others allow it there is obviously a demand for it.

The reason people use number withheld or 141 is they don't want their number going out, the fact EE have stopped number withheld is curious as they still allow 141, which is the same but makes it an inconvenience for their customers.

It is a privacy issue, as is people using TPS.

I choose to keep my number private and will only release it if I choose and not as matter of course.

If you choose to not answer that is your prerogative, as is others to withhold their number, there is a facility to inform anonymous callers to redial supplying their number if dialing withheld.

• Not sure if it would work but can you not add 141 to the front of any number in your contact list at the least?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,021
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2017 at 4:43PM
    As you suspect, they are telling porkies about the reason they don't offer permanent number withheld, if they were concerned about 'fraud' why do they allow it on a call by call basis ...however, unless the person you spoke to is incorrect, if EE policy is not to offer permanent number withheld, even if it's a facility available from BT Wholesale ( presumably EE use WLR3 ) , then short of them releasing you from your minimum term (unlikely) or you prepared to pay ETC's and looking for another provider, then you may be stuck with putting '141' in front of any call you make
  • derrick
    Forumite
    Not sure if it would work but can you not add 141 to the front of any number in your contact list at the least?

Yes that would be a way, however it might not always be possible, I.e. ringing round for insurance quotes etc.and for anything outside a contact list.

The main point is why would EE not allow the aotu withhold but allow the equivalent procedure via 141 when all, (?), other Telcos allow it?

• SaLoGo
    SaLoGo Posts: 1,025
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All modern mobile phones have an option within the call settings to show or hide your number when making calls. I have an iphone and can switch this on or off whenever I like. What phone do you have?
    :beer: Been smoke free for 4 years!! :beer:
  • derrick
    Forumite
    SaLoGo wrote: »
    All modern mobile phones have an option within the call settings to show or hide your number when making calls. I have an iphone and can switch this on or off whenever I like. What phone do you have?

I would have thought my OP would have suggested this by my reference to phone and BB contract, but I am talking landline, I never mentioned mobile phones.

• derrick wrote: »
    I would have thought my OP would have suggested this by my reference to phone and BB contract, but I am talking landline, I never mentioned mobile phones.

Actually I was thinking mobiles myself, that said I did check mine and there is no option that I can see anyway.

There may of course still be that option within your house phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure