Help please

Hi all, first post so please be gentle.

I am facing a 2nd redundancy meeting today, and just need some advice as to how I need to play this out...do I overly try and justify my job, or do I just let them make the decision.

I know my firm want me out, yet I am the only person currently doing my job, there vision is to split my current job up and give it to 3 existing members of staff.

Everything I have read states that it is the job that needs to be redundant, not the person, so surely the fact they are looking to give my job to 3 other existing staff members proves my role is still needed?? or am I getting to worked up about this?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    it is very easy to justify this as a redundancy scenario.

eg we have too many people for the amount of work a few staff do not have enough to do, this role can be split as there is capacity with 3 other people this also gives better cover for sick and holidays.......

Now you can consult find out the business case and try to put a case for why that would not work and your proposal is better

eg. every one takes a cut in hours so that reduces the need to make redundancies

or that the jobs should be pooled(assuming all jobs can be done by all) and proper selection criteria used.

Anyway do you know why they want you to go, understanding what motivates that will give an idea of direction, can you fix the issues they have with you or not if not you will be going even if you can fight and win this attempt.

Often it is a good idea to get it out in the open that you know they want rid and you see no point in fighting lets compromise make the transition work(support training etc) and shake hands on a decent package and reference so we can all move on.
  • Hi Getmore4less, thanks for the reply.

A bit more info, I am currently the only person doing my role ( and my role will still be needed) within the entire organisation, they plan on ( as I see it anyway) making me redundant and not the role as what I am doing now will then be split up to 3 others...I have told them if they make me redundant there would be a huge technical skills gap, which they agreed with, then said they may have to employ someone to fill this gap!!

My new line manager has made no attempt to hide the fact he dislikes me, and he put me under huge pressure in the summer, I think trying to force me out, either by way of disciplinary action, or by forcing me to resign, I stuck it all out and thought we had worked through the problems....it now seems to me that making me redundant is the only option to them.

Thanks in anticipation
  • getmore4less
    How long have you and your new line manager been employed.

What redundancy package is on the table?

To get you out would need higher-ups to be on side with the line manager if they are driving it if there are others who are they and what are the motives.

Depends how aware you are of the pecking order and influence if you want to try and leverage something from higher ups. IS there an HR they will be on the company side but may not be aware of the situation and as they are admitting that there may be a need to replace that could be enough to put up a fight.

Did you consider a grievance against the line manager some of what they were doing might have been bullying.

If you go and there is a gap then what is the business case for this reduction in work force, which part of the business suffers are those accountable for that on side and aware that they may have a gap to fill. I think I would persue this angle and make sure that those that are responsible for the use of your technical skill are aware that they are trying to get rid of you.

Do you want to stay could your job be moved to a new line manager if that is where the problem is.

Do you know why they don't like you?

What happened to the previous one, did they leave or if still with the company what their position on the situation.

If I wanted to go I think I would be looking for a settlement agreement as there is probably enough to make a claim that would just cause everyone issues so they may make a better offer to avoid the time and effort involved.

If I wanted to stay I would be looking for support beyond the line manager as it will end up messy if they get their nose put out(if they are behind this).

Over the summer did you make any efforts to gain support from elsewhere.
  • he has been employed since June, I have been there 11 yrs and on a an 11 week notice period.
    I feel this is being driven from higher up management, the HR manager reports direct to the top person, so I am sure she will know what is going on and advising accordingly.
    The people affected by me going would be compliant with the top man ( not my boss, who reports to the top directly) I would never be privy to know if the people affected by my redundancy have been consulted, or even if they were if there concerns were taken into account.
    they have said statutory redundancy would be paid, so not much, but I am in tied accommodation so would lose my home in the process.

thanks
    Neil
  • getmore4less
    If this is from high up what's the motive

What happened to your old boss.

Are you relatively expensive

How easy to replace your tech skills.

How quick would they need to get someone in,

Have you checked the web to see if they are recruiting for your job yet.
    (it would be evidence of preplanning)

I think you are probably best to try to get a settlement agreement with more money make noises about they really should be keeping you contrived redundancy the job really exists as there is no one to do the technical side and they should not be recruiting to fill that role.

Also check with the rules on evicting you from the accomodation, it may be you can hang on, the house board here cover rentals and similar issues.
    A quick G found ( read more there will be different views on what they can do)
    http://www.rbc-homes.org/choice/uploads/Factsheet_11.pdf
  • I think the motive is to have middle management removed from any decision making process, the senior managements vision is to just have supervisors reporting in to senior management
    My old boss "retired"..... 3 years before he was due to.......
    My tech skills can be bought in by means of a consultant, my current supervisors don't have this level of technical skill.

It does seem to be very engineered, the way it has been done, I just need to get my head around it.

thanks for your help
  • getmore4less
    Set up as a consultant.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear your news. It comes as a big blow.

Ultimately, if they want you out, it's relatively easy to engineer.

Make sure you're getting all that you're entitled to. You are allowed to have someone (a co-worker or a union rep) in the consultation meetings. I found that very helpful. My friend asked for time out when I needed it, for instance.

Read your contract before the meeting.

I also found it helpful to go in and listen and not to say too much - find out what their case is, what the offer is etc. I got an extra month on the payroll by challenging the process, and a better payout by thoroughly understanding my contract.

I was made redundant just under two years ago. I've now moved somewhere nicer/cheaper in the country, and although I'm earning less than I was I'm back leading a team and enjoying life again. You will get through this - though it dents your confidence at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure