PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Cambs85 wrote: »
    Gosh you really notice the money go when you take your food budget out in cash and don't just put it on the card!! Haven't had any nsds yet this month but have taken lunch to work with me every day!

Husband didn't realise forgetting to make lunch would mean his 'meal deal' would need to come out the food budget (another £3 easy spent)! However, I did get caught out today at work and needed to buy a drink between home visits (£1.20!) Think we are both on a steep learning curve with this being the first month we have tried the challenge. hey ho, you live and learn!

Also need to update signature - 151.14 spent!

Its cash every time for me, I found when using my card it was so easy to forget a spend and end up not knowing where I was at, Now it goes in the purse
    and I know exactly whats gone and what is left and when its gone its gone, any left is used to stock up on offers .
    Slimming World at target
  • Adding £20.84 to my total. Stocked up on veg, butterbeans, loo roll & herbs amongst other things! Forgot tea bags which is ridiculous as I've been drinking loads this week to try & heat myself up and shift this cold. So will go back out later, or tomorrow. The upside of being ill is that I always crave homemade soup, so getting loads of veg inside me. Fancy some broccoli soup later, thankfully, I remembered this while out shopping!

:beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Flat_Eric wrote: »
    the recipe also calls for bay leaves which I have albeit they are a couple of years out of date?! What's the deal with spices? I've got various jars, some out of date, some not - I guess they don't go off - just lose their flavour?

They do lose some potency. I'd put maybe 1.5x the amount in.
    October Grocery Challenge: £20.65/£150
    September Grocery Challenge: I lost track :o/£200
    August Grocery Challenge: £92.11/£100 :)
  • Cambs85
    Cambs85 Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2013 at 6:06PM
    I had my first NSD of September today! Woohoo! Sadly feeling a little proud! Now waiting to see if husband managed one too!

***husband also had NSD! Woohoo!***
    GC Sept '13: £249.05/£250, NSDs: 9/7!! :j
    GC Oct '13 £236.00/ £250, NSDs: 13/9!
    GC Nov '13 £5.72/ £250, NSDs: /10
  • Just spent £34.22 on my weekly shop. Will update my signature accordingly.

Plan on trying a new recipe for chicken and ham pie this weekend, as I have a craving for home made buttery pastry.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2013 at 6:28PM
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Finally for now, i need to get some more food boxes to freeze unwanted portions - which ones/where best to get ? or are freezer bags better?

Poundshop and HomeBargain etc sell chinese takeaway style tubs or the foil ones with the card lids that you can pop in the oven.

Small spend of £3.27 on milk, pots of joy and YS breakfast muffins as DDs love them.

Mr T shop coming later to make the most of the voucher, but only actually ended up being off delivery, as i missed the earlier cheaper slots. I've stocked up on some store cupboard staples that i have not tried before - rice flour, rice noodles, gungo peas (would like to try some new Jamaican recipes), and brown rice (had this before but was on offer) two spices, smoothie drinks for kids lunchboxes (they are going through two each a day on average), and a few other fridge bits (yogs, fruit and cheese). I'm hoping the majority of the baking/cooking ingredients won't be touched til end Sep/beg Oct. Hopefully, i will just need a small £25 shop next weekend and not to spend anything else now until then unless it's fizzy water, sandwich meat, fruit or milk.

Will update sig now or else i'll forget. Will also estimate the amount for Mr T now, and alter as necessary if needed.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm trying to decide what to do with my delivery what not saver that will renew in October with Mr T. I don't have a decent supermarket near me so my best option is to have my groceries delivered (I don't drive and there is only so much you can carry on the bus). At the moment I shop/have my food delivered by Mr T.

I've never got on too well with a$*a who always made a mess of my orders and I have not tried $ainsbugs who now deliver to where I live but I'm wondering whether a$*a might be good for staples (tins etc) and Mr T for fresh stuff. a$*a always used to send stuff that was all but out of date :(

Welcome thoughts...
  • £20.60 today in aldilly:) more bready things, pittas rolls part baked, veg, a few storecupboard things and OH's ham! We've nearly completely swapped to aldilly now, only very specific items from the others! OH loves Tesco lemonade! And it is really making a difference to what I spend:D
    2013 NSD 100. CC2014CC- £31.50/£135
    2014 NSD 86 so far - May 20/21
    2014 G/C spend £741.55 so far May £107.99/£91
    Debt Free - 30.05.13 Emergency tin - £1000
    June 23 - 9NSD
  • Have just picked up a 1kg bone in shoulder of lamb reduced to £1.37 :grin:

I dont eat meat but DD and DS do so I'm hoping this will go a looooong way! Just need to work out what to do with it to begin with. I'm thinking slow cooker? I have plenty of veg, tinned tomatoes/passata, herbs and spices, lentils, beans etc in so hopefully will be able to make good use of the leftovers (unless they have friends round, in which case there will be no leftovers).

Any suggestions for cooking and using up leftovers would be much appreciated.

Thanks xx
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    £1.50 spent in B&M on popcorn, pretzels and raisins :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business