Mortgage help

I'm looking to get a mortgage on a house
We recently sold our house and living with parents
We have £40 deposit and purchase price is £265k so £225 is needed
I earn 32640 and wife £6900 plus about £1500 commission although she is currently on maternity (estate agent so commission continues through maternity)
We also get £1780 for child benefit
Closest we have got is £207k need help wangling the last bit
Desperate for help

Comments

• Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Your wife's basic income that she doesn't get while on maternity leave can't be used by most lenders, unless she's going back to work within the next 3 months. (There are exceptions to this rule, but not many.)

Child benefit is not accepted by every lender and commission is often averaged and not accepted at 100%.

£32,640 + (£1500*12 months) + £1780 = £52,420 per annum, if I assume that your income doesn't include stuff that can't be accepted at 100% (e.g. bonus that you've only got paid once so far).

Lenders typically go up to 4-5 times income, which would make the max borrowing £262,100.
    The fact that you got to £207k indicates to me a few potential things:
    - you have credit commitments, which reduce the potential borrowing
    - you have done the potential borrowing calculation yourself instead of a broker searching around
    - you have had late/missed payments or other adverse credit history that influences the lender options and thus the max borrowing
    - there are deductions from your income (e.g. pension, childcare voucher, travel loan)
    - there is childcare cost or private pension or other significant outgoings to take into account
    If any of the above is true or there are other factors we don't know, then it is possible that you can't borrow more than £207k.

The best advice we can give on this forum is to recommend that you speak to a broker, go through all the details and see what they can come up with. If you've already spoken to a broker, you can always try another one, but no one here can give you an exact answer without knowing the ins and outs of your circumstances.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • The commission is my partners not mine
    Neither have missed any payments etc
    We've used both calculators and mortgage advisors
    None have done credit check to downgrade the lend so isn't a credit issue. Although this is clear anyway
    Both have 999 scores on credit expert
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Both have 999 scores on credit expert

Unfortunately Credit Expert aren't a lender and their scores are irrelevant and not seen or used by anyone.

Do you have existing debt?
  • Nope none, we sold our house and cleared all
    It isn't a credit issue as we are just falling short on affordability calculators
  • MrCH
    MrCH Posts: 105 Forumite
    I'm looking to get a mortgage on a house
    We recently sold our house and living with parents
    We have £40 deposit and purchase price is £265k so £225 is needed
    I earn 32640 and wife £6900 plus about £1500 commission although she is currently on maternity (estate agent so commission continues through maternity)
    We also get £1780 for child benefit
    Closest we have got is £207k need help wangling the last bit
    Desperate for help

Is your wifes wage £6900 a year plus £1500 commission, so £8500 in total?

Puts combined at £41140?

So £207k is the correct ballpark figure.
  • We know that's about the ball park figure
    We are just trying to figure how to get the extra little bit
  • MrCH
    MrCH Posts: 105 Forumite
    Can't see it happening in all honesty.
    A quick google brings up that Tipton and Coseley building society, via a broker offer upto 6x salary however one applicant needs to earn over £50,000 pa.

You could get in touch with a mortgage broker?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    is the purchase price negotiable? how long would it take saving to increase deposit?
  • Unfortunate not negotiable as it was very popular and we were second in line and the first buyers purchase collapsed
    Again this makes it a little short on time too
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    We know that's about the ball park figure
    We are just trying to figure how to get the extra little bit

I wouldn't call an extra 25% a 'little bit'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure