PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily thread Saturday 16th May

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine
Chin up, Titus out.

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all
    Fish fed, hubby has a cuppa, we are awaiting the arrival of 8 month old DGD she is coming to stay for the day.
    Donny-gal....sorry to hear DDILs news.
    LW.....I hope things look better this morning, I have been where you are now, I have sent you a pm.
    Elona....I'll be thinking of you today & will light a candle for your DH this evening.
    BB....hope you feel better soon.
    Hugs to Molly & Hilly & anyone else in need.
    I'm so glad it's the weekend, the last couple of days have been really sh!!ty at work, lots of exam deadlines and amongst other things I had 20 students who needed to print colour A3 work, the files were almost 500,000kb in size for each student. My machine can't cope & I'm getting it in the neck from staff & students alike, and breath. Fortunately I had 2 of the DGD's for a couple of hours after work yesterday & they certainly put everything in perspective.
    I'm still suffering from the after effects my BP is still through the roof & I feel sick & dizzy, hopefully a day with an 8 month old will cure me.
    Time I made a start on breakfast for hubby.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone :hello:

Just popping on quickly to say to Elona that I am thinking about you and your family today and I hope everything goes as well as can be expected.

Hester, I hope you manage to get some rest although that is unlikely with an 8 month old around :). Hope things calm down for you though.

LameWolf, sending you a hug and I hope you can sort out the money side of things.

I'm having a quiet day at home with my hubby, the girls are going to the next town to do some shopping and I think the grandchildren want to stay tonight. Hope you all have a great weekend, take care xx
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,647
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Morning one and all. It was a brilliant start to the day here but some clouds have gathered. No rain forecast so, hopefully, I will get some weeding done. I can't seem to keep up to the gardening jobs these days.

I am still simmering over my visit to Curr*s yesterday for a new hob! Good selection on show so we narrowed it down to the one we wanted, summoned an assistant and asked if they kept them in stock. No, said she, it needs to be ordered. Ok, we said and gave our details. That'll be £19.99 for delivery she said. Mr TA almost exploded! We don't want it delivering, he said, we can collect from store. Not possible, she said, it's home delivery only! So order cancelled and left without a hob! I then looked on Curr*s website for click and collect. Not an option but was eligible for free delivery!! Duly ordered it and the self same hob is being delivered tomorrow free! Rant over!

The freezer is getting overloaded with half price chickens and turkey crowns at the moment so will get a chicken out to defrost shortly for tomorrow's lunch. They are taking up valuable space and will feed us for a couple of days at least. Then, as usual the bones and scraps will go in the sc to add to a broth as a treat for Mr TA!

Have a nice weekend all and my thoughts are with ELONA, today especially. (((((((HUGS))))))) to all in need. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Elona thinking of you and the family today hope it goes as well as it can, lots of love xx

Nice day here although the sky is looking black over yonder, will hang the washing out if the rain stays off.

Got to pop into work for an hour this morning they want to interview my mum DD and I three generations of the same family have worked for the trust, it will be going in the newsletter ! fame at last :rotfl:

Will have a quick tidy round this morning then this afternoon I have got to take my car in for its MOT, fingers crossed it passes.

Not sure about dinner tonight depends how long the MOT takes, OH will come with me and we will have a mooch around the supermarket and a coffee while we wait.

DD staying tonight, will be nice to see her as I have not seen her for a while as she is on placement and cant come home as much.

LW you have lots of friends here, have a hug from us all xx

Have good days all xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning everyone.

It's bright grey outside. Forecast promises rain, again.

Will strip the bed this morning and put on fresh linen. Probably won't get the sheets outside.

The poor roofer gave up yesterday in the pouring rain, not because he was cold and wet but because he couldn't get the cement to stick, it was just washing off the wall. He spent ages making sure that the house was watertight before he left. He'll probably come back today of the weather holds. I've been really impressed with his work ethic.

Must crack on with my online course though I need to get outside too and do a bit of walking. My fitness level has dropped dramatically since I finished work at the end of March.

Will breakfast on porridge with some fruit and in the afternoon will have something salady. I now try to avoid an evening meal so eat my lunch as late as possible.

Elona - my thoughts are with you and your family today. Lay your beloved husband to rest, keep your happy memories close and take some of that peace with you. You all 'did good'.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    House is a hive of activity.

I have had a cuppa and toast, loaded dishwasher, made two huge bowls of salad, taken stuff upstairs, cleaned downstairs bathroom
    and looked out a black dress, jacket, bag and shoes. Even found black tights.

DDs are hoovering kitchen and giving surfaces a quick swipe. Even though it looked great two days ago all the food prep has taken its toll.

DD and SIL even managed to unstick garage door and put DH's car in it so there is more room to park on our drive.

So far we have bought platters of sandwiches and pork pies, mini toad in holes and canapes. Home made green salad, home made pasta salad and visitors are bringing quiche , sausage rolls and cakes as well as the pizza wheels i made yesterday and froze ready to bake.

Having a sneaky sit down and a browse on here before the family etc arrive.

Hoping the weather is reasonable so kids and others can enjoy the garden.

DDs made a beautiful booklet for the service with a picture of DH from two years ago and it meant so much to see the real him.

Going to sit quietly for a minute and just "be".

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]elona I'm thinking of you and your family today. I hope all goes well xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We took Scampi for his kennel cough jab, which turned out not to be a jab, it was nose drops so I was relieved :D The vet asked how we're getting on with him so I told him and he said we're doing great so far. There were a couple of things which seemed odd, but keep going and he'll get there. He said if we need help, one of his nurses is also a trainer and we can pop down anytime she's working and she'll help out during her shift. His vaccination record showed the previous owners had used the same vet as us, so they did a bit of detective work and found them on the system so they could put all the info together (we know nothing about them so couldn't give their names, etc). Then he got a bit serious and told us the nurse also does one-to-one sessions with dogs with issues. He told us a lot without actually saying it, and TBH I was quite relieved, because I was starting to wonder if I was getting certain things wrong with Scampi and messing him up. Chances are, carrying on with what we're doing will sort things out, if not I have someone who can help. Phew :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The other trus have taken over all walks for now, in a split second Scampi wrapped himself and his lead around my leg and yanked me sideways, almost pulling me over. How?! – he weighs just under 25lbs! It set off my sciatica and I couldn't walk properly for days. It's easing off now so I'll start taking him out again in the next couple of days. We're slowly changing from using a harness to a collar, using both at the moment so it looks a bit odd! He's doing quite well with that. Mostly :D A local dog owner mentioned half-choke collars to me, I said I wasn't keen because I've seen them pulled far too tight (IMO) on other dogs. He said those people are using them wrong and showed me how it should be done, then popped round with one his spares for us to try out. It's fab, Scampi is learning much faster now and he won't be strangled :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sorry it's all dog, I haven't really done anything lately except hobble about the house, flicking a duster around :D
    [/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Morning ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((special hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) this morning for Elona and family on what is going to be a very difficult day for them............so many people are holding you in their thoughts today.

Last visit to feed the cat today, DD due back this afternoon. Its fine at the moment, very windy and I think it could rain.

Right offsky to feed the cat.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 5,986
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Elona - I'm with you in spirit, hope all goes ok.
    tru - So good to have someone to help if you need it, sounds like Scampi is doing well, well done you. Hope you get mobile very soon.

We have sunshine and horrific showers today, hopefully the washing will dry in the conservatory while the sun shines.

I have someone coming to look at the sofas today, they seem pretty keen and said they can collect them on Wednesday if they are suitable - so big not many people have been interested. Hopefully the plasterer will be able to come to do the living room ceiling soon, will have to move the bed settee from the conservatory into the living room for now, feels like camping all over again!

I've done the ironing and been out to L!dl and H0me Bargains to do the shopping, dropped DD off at the station on the way. Not sure what's happening the rest of the day but need to do some cleaning of bathrooms.

Have a good weekend. Take care. XX
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Morning all,

beautiful day today. Thinking of you Elona and family. Many hugs.

Just me, hubby and the dogs today. Youngest has gone to his girlfriends for the weekend. Took 2 hours longer than it should have done due to a fatality on the train track. How sad, how awful for the undertaker.

Not sure what we have planned for today but food shopping will be high on the list.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family