Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

Comments

• Bloody hell! What kind of school is this? More like extortion than an end-of-year gift. Write to the governors - I'm sure you're not the only parent that thinks it's unreasonable.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just another thought - as Council Employees, teachers are prohibited from soliciting benefits or rewards, and should declare any gifts or hospitality. This is because they are know to influence judgement.
    SO unless this is a private school - its could even be a Police matter !
  • chriswedge
    chriswedge Posts: 17 Forumite
    I'm clearly in the wrong job!
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Does the teacher buy every kid a £25 present for being their student? Especially considering they have no option in the matter and aren't paid for their trouble.
  • I suggest that you call the local papers and tell them. What an interesting story about teachers getting hundreds of pounds when pupils and parents can't afford it.
  • I have never heard of anything like giving money to teachers , they get a salary don't they and the mother of one who said she did not want to pay it was right it must be embarrassing for the kid but this is illegal and must be stopped money without declaring it to the tax man for starters and if I had kids the only thing a teacher would get is the end of my boot
  • the sun newspaper should be told , im sure they would love a story like this , god I am so angry !!!!!!
  • You don't say if your son is at a private school or public school or if it's a state school?

If it's private then I'd say pay up and don't make your son look bad, it'll be talked about if you don't and your son will get a bad name.

However if this is a state school I'd pay, if you can afford it but I'd also contact HMRC and let them know how much has been given - as teachers should declare extra income just like anyone else and as this teacher refused a charity donation and had the cheek to ask for John Lewis vouchers then do it :)
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ludicrous! There is no way I would pay it.

Tell your son there is nothing wrong with being the odd one out. That will teach him to be a leader not a follower.

£25 each!!! They are taking the mick.
  • mummyshaz
    mummyshaz Posts: 9 Forumite
    There is no way i would pay that. It should be personal choice and whether the parents and children both feel that the teacher has done a good job over the year. That is teaching children that every good act should be rewarded with something of extreme value, which is not always the case. What happened to people just doing their job and it being a nice surprise if they receive a thank you gift. My son had a teacher for 2 years that I felt did nothing for my son. As a result i feel she has contributed to my son being behind on his school work for a long time. There is no way on this earth i feel that teachers like that should be rewarded just for the sake of it. Luckily my son has caught up on his school work but it was through no help of that teacher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure