Money Moral Dilemma: How much board should I charge?

Comments

• jgriggle
    jgriggle Posts: 165 Forumite
    I have a real problem with parents whose first reaction when their child starts earning money is to grab as much of it as possible under the guise of teaching them a 'lesson' - if they still need teaching lessons in their early 20s then that's your failing as a parent!

One of my friend's parents even tried justifying taking half of his wages saying they'd spent a fortune raising him from birth (as if it was his decision to be born and impose himself on them)!

They're only young once, so only charge them what it costs you. Let them enjoy having a bit of money (but encourage them to save some). They'll have plenty of time later on to discover the joys of mortgages, bills etc.

When I got my first job at 18, I had to pay my parents £100 a month out of a take home of £540. I really resented being treated as a lodger in my family home, but my parents explained that they were no longer getting child benefit which was around £80 a month, plus the cost of the food, electricity etc.

I realised my parents were being fair and kept quiet.
  • MDE
    MDE Posts: 163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2010 at 1:33PM
    jubarnes26 wrote: »
    ...the girl still has £170 to spend on herself...

Some of this money is already committed though, the problem with gym and mobile contracts is you can't just cancel them, they have minimum terms and notice periods etc.

Do you remember when you first started working full time? Was there anything that you really desperately wanted to save up for with your first few months pay?
  • Ems!
    Ems! Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post
    Oh my gosh £30 a week when working full time! I paid that whilst doing my A levels and I was earning about £75/week. I would be asking for £50 bare minimum , preferably much more! Pay up or ship out would be my thoughts!!
  • MadMom
    MadMom Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    My parents taught me valuable lessons in finance, budgeting and responsibility by charging me a third of what I earned. The idea being 1 third for board & lodging, 1 third into a savings account, and the other third available for spending money. I have grown up to be a financially responsible person and will be teaching the same lessons to my kids as they grow up. Our kids will grow up to be better people if they don't have everything handed to them on a silver platter.
    Still waiting to win a dream holiday...
    2017 wins: Family ticket to Jay Miller's Circus. Family ticket to Day's Out With Thomas (Watercress Line)
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    In my view the damage has already been done, paying for so many of her costs while at university. University is about learning, not just academic subjects, but learning how to grow up (although you do not need to go to grow up, and normally grow up faster if you work rather than go to university). She has had a cushy time at university, and now expects to get the same. I'd discuss a plan with her where she starts paying a small amount, maybe £20 as she wants, but then this increases every couple of months to start to reflect real costs. If she didn't agree, then start changing what she gets, no washing, no clean bed-sheets, no decent food, etc. If she still doesn't realise what real-life costs are, then she should start looking elsewhere. I'd also be expecting her to be saving a lot of the extra money towards a deposit for a house for herself, or towards real-world rent.

Gym membership should not have been much - I assume at university she has been going to the university gym where you pay by year / term, rather than a £30 a month yearly-contract one.
  • MDE
    Ems! wrote: »
    ...Pay up or ship out would be my thoughts!!

Say that to your own daughter, go on, I dare you.

And if you don't have children, then imagine if one of your parents had said this to you, these exact words. Just how distraught and how loved would you actually feel?
  • MDE
    A.Jones wrote: »
    Gym membership should not have been much - I assume at university she has been going to the university gym where you pay by year / term, rather than a £30 a month yearly-contract one.

I considered this too- although I note from the OP that the daughter was at university "part time", whatever that means!

Also, what did she do with the other part of her time- did she work?
  • £30 seems very reasonable, stick to your guns. Explain that this doesn't cover the true cost of her living with you and it's a subsidised rate because she is family and now she is an adult and earning she is grown up enough to contribute to the family budget. Ask her to commit to save at least another £30 a week (towards holiday, flat deposit or whatever) as a condition of living at a subsidised rate. Tell her you don't want her to move out but that she might want to look at what it would cost her to rent a room in a shared house.

Family is family and should be supported - but you are not doing them any favours by giving them a completely free ride.

The people who are saying 'if she doesn't want to pay, let her find somewhere cheaper' - no of course they don't want her to move out, they are just making the point that there is no way she will find anywhere else for anywhere near that amount. But this could be a tricky strategy in a step-family, so probably best avoided.
  • jubarnes26
    jubarnes26 Posts: 429 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2010 at 2:14PM
    MDE wrote: »
    Some of this money is already committed though, the problem with gym and mobile contracts is you can't just cancel them, they have minimum terms and notice periods etc.

Do you remember when you first started working full time? Was there anything that you really desperately wanted to save up for with your first few months pay?

With the gym and mobile she will have to appreciate what her dad has been paying for. Anyway with gym at say £30 a month and phone contract at approx £30 she still has £155 a week which is more than a lot of people on MSE have that have families.

Yes I wanted a car so I went to the bank and got a loan and it was paid every month before luxuries.
    If there is something she wants then perhaps it will take her longer to save for but you can't neglect your bills to buy what you want.

At 18 I moved out into a shared house then into a dingy flat, at one point I had 4 jobs and at 21 bought my own house - throughout I have done it all on my own & never asked or been offered a handout and have become very money savvy because of it.

I agree with your earlier post - some of the damage has already been done with dad paying for so much but that's why she should start taking responsibilty now. Being an adult is hard, managing your money is hard and saying no to things you can't afford is hard but let's face it she's hardly on the breadline is she.
    The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    MDE wrote: »
    I considered this too- although I note from the OP that the daughter was at university "part time", whatever that means!

Also, what did she do with the other part of her time- did she work?

Yes quite! Too many assumptions being made as a result of the very "woolly" information (or lack of it) in the OP.

As I said earlier in the discussion (and others have subsequently mentioned) we don't know what her DISPOSABLE income actually is; but the general consensus seems to be that she should contribute between 25% and 33% of that disposable income.

A bit more detail from MSE Archna would be useful...............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure