PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Tips and Quick Questions on “How To Start Being Old Style”

Comments

• Jadeytee
    Jadeytee Posts: 171 Forumite
    Hi, I've had CBT myself and it does work. I also suffer from anxiety and find the breathing exercises worked wonders when I am feeling pent up. I've gone on to develop a bit of what I was taught, and found trying to squeeze in 5 to 10 mins a day, maybe when your partner gets home and you can have a quick shower, just to sit quite and breathe deeply with your eyes closed thinking positive thoughts.

Hope you feel better
    Wins for 2013: Cafetiere (£40), Mangajo Drinks, Alan Partridge goodies
  • hi there - i am a rejoiner to old style having slipped totally over the last 14 months or so.

would you like to be old style buddies to encourage each other?

right - i am off now to put baby down for a nap and to make some bread. Might make some biscuits too. See you later!
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
  • missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    many thanks frugallily I have just ordered it from Amazon
  • cardiffmatch
    cardiffmatch Posts: 142 Forumite
    Or "The New Money-Saver's Diary"!

In common with many people, the last few months have given me reason to stop and look at my finances, the way I spend my money and the way I handle my debt. I've concentrated since January on paying off my considerable unsecured debts (>£13,000 on January 1st!) as well as trying to live more within my means.

As of the 1st of August, my income will be roughly halved and so the money saving has to really step up a gear! I've reduced my debts to around £6000 and made several changes to my spending. This website has clearly shown me that there are literally thousands of ways I can save the pennies, but where to start?

I've made the decision that the easiest way will be within my home. I own the flat and live alone so can change things as I please. I plan to change one thing in my home or the way I run my home every day and record what I do here - my changes may seem very basic to some, but I bet there will be many others like me who simply have to start somewhere!

I'm going to concentrate my efforts in one area every week. I figure there will easily be enough areas to last me well into the winter and beyond, so here goes! If anyone would like to comment, give me pointers along the way or join in the challenge I set myself... the more the merrier!

Happy Moneysaving!

CardiffM :D

Week One: The kitchen

Day One: Cooking in Bulk
    Thanks to lollyfin for this idea!
    I've got 750g mince in my slow cooker (Used twice before) with tomatoes, herbs, spices, oats, carrots, lentils. Freeze half; eat half in portions over the weekend of night shifts to come... Yummy!
    Debt free as of 01/06/13
    MFW: Mortgage when started: £205,000 Mortgage 21/11/13 £202,608 Offset target 2014: £5088/£12000 Planned payoff date: August 2026 LTV: 86.3% Daily interest: £21.55
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Or "The New Money-Saver's Diary"!

I've made the decision that the easiest way will be within my home. I own the flat and live alone so can change things as I please. I plan to change one thing in my home or the way I run my home every day and record what I do here - my changes may seem very basic to some, but I bet there will be many others like me who simply have to start somewhere!

Welcome :beer: We've got a lot of new Old Stylers starting out, and have a thread just for people like you ;) As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to that thread so that you can support and have support from others.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Thanks Penny!

Well - it's day two.

Continuing the kitchen theme - I'm face with a kitchen with no saucepans (my housemate quite reasonably took them on moving out - they weren't mine in the first place!)

My mum advises me that the best / most economical way to cook my veg / pasta is in one of those steamers that has a big pot at the bottom (pasta / potatos go in here) and then the other veg go in layers I add on the top.

Is this true? It seems logical - one ring on the hob instead of two or even three. Is there a trick I'm missing? Tomorrow will be investment day.

My bolognaise / chilli / tomato-base concoction is deliiiicious - made it to ten portions (quite greedy, me).

Other new moneysaving today: It's time to replace the broken lightbulbs in the kitchen. After considerable thought (and quite a lot of maths) I've decided to invest in three LED GU10 lightbulbs. They cost a lot upfront but my maths tells me they will pay for themselves over the year. The lights in my kitchen are the ones I use most often.

The cheapest upfront option (oddly) would have been to take the lightfitting down and replace the 50w GU10 (x3) fitting with a standard bayonet x3 lightfitting (v cheap in B&Q today) with energy saving bulbs, but they take a little while to "warm up".

I'm off to work,

CardiffM x
    Debt free as of 01/06/13
    MFW: Mortgage when started: £205,000 Mortgage 21/11/13 £202,608 Offset target 2014: £5088/£12000 Planned payoff date: August 2026 LTV: 86.3% Daily interest: £21.55
  • hi cardiffmatch
    I have a 4 tier steamer and I wouldn't be without it. I do potatoes in the bottom and then maybe carrots in next tier and then cauliflower/broccoli in next tier and I can heat up perhaps a tin of peas on top. Well worth the money as all veg cooked on one ring.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Continuing the kitchen theme - I'm face with a kitchen with no saucepans (my housemate quite reasonably took them on moving out - they weren't mine in the first place!)

My mum advises me that the best / most economical way to cook my veg / pasta is in one of those steamers that has a big pot at the bottom (pasta / potatos go in here) and then the other veg go in layers I add on the top.

Is this true? It seems logical - one ring on the hob instead of two or even three. Is there a trick I'm missing? Tomorrow will be investment day.

The flyladies will be most upset that you haven't dropped in to let them know you're back ;)

Steamers are great, but you'll probably need another saucepan too in case you want, for example, to cook some pasta and heat up sauce at the same time. Also think about the size of steamer you need - I have a vast one that I only use when I have lots of visitors, as it's way too big for daily use (I finally gave in a couple of years ago and invested in a smaller one). However, the MOST economical way to cook veggies is in the microwave. It is, apparently, also the way that retains the most nutritional value, as you need less water and less escapes. If you're doing lots of batch cooking in the slow cooker, then microwaving is probably the way to go for all the reheating you'll be doing anyway.

Good luck with your plan... including finding the LED replacements for the GU10s, as they never seem to be in stock when I try to get them (hence several dead bulbs in the kitchen :o). Newer baynonet fitting bulbs (the spiral ones) don't take as long to warm up as the old ones. They're not as cheap as the standard ones, but certainly not as expensive as the LEDs, however, given the way technology is developing, the compact fluorescents will probably be phased out eventually (due to issues including the use of mercury in their manufacture) and replaced with LED technology which seems to be where all the R&D investment is.
  • Hey Greenbee!

I will slope along to Flyladies and confess my reappearance... although the flat is most definitely grounded and not fit for take off at present!

Microwaving veg - do you mean in a microwave steamer or do I immerse the veg in water and boil it? Hadn't thought of this idea.

Day Three:
    It's been cooking related moneysaving for the last two days: today is laundry day in the CardiffM Kitchen.

An easy first step which recurs in almost every laundry-related thread on this site: What products to use in the washing machine?

Washing tablets cost a fortune, as do the fancy gels / liquids. Many on here suggest they aren't so good at making whites *really* white.

Fabric conditioner (which I've never been a big fan of, I'm not too keen on smelling of "Alpine Flowers" in Wales in the summer) has also been adding to my shopping basket cost.

Therefore, after a good couple of hours reading various threads, I'm going to try the following concoctions:

Washing powder: half Persil powder (which I already have), half Soda Crystals (78p in Morrisons today)

Fabric Conditioner: White distilled vinegar (3tbsps)

I will report on the outcome in tomorrow's post!

CardiffMx
    Debt free as of 01/06/13
  • Hi CardiffMatch

I havn't bought washing powder or fabric conditioner for about 5 years now. I use vanish soap or Ace bleach on any bad stains (not very often) and use an eco ball in the wash. I also have about 6 'dobby balls' (bought in Aldi) in the machine that are also supposed to help get the washing clean. I can assure you my washing is perfectly clean. I bought my eco balls from one of the local green sites for £5 each but I see Lakeland do them for £7.99 each though they do not look exactly the same as mine. You do not need fabric conditioner with them. They have saved me a fortune.

There is only me at home now so no kids with really dirty washing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure