IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Charge Notice while car with Airport Meet & Greet

I regularly travel for work, and book my parking using the links on the Money Saving Expert site - usually through Holiday Extras or SkyPark Secure. One such trip was 4th - 10th June 2017.

This morning, I received a letter entitle "Parking Charge Notice (PCN)", with my vehicle reg, a reference number (PCN No), an issue date, and an 'incident' date. The letter stated that I had been in a car park in Hayes, from 1320 on the 10/6, until 2010 on the 10/6. The 'fine' is £100, reduced to £60 if I pay within 14 days.

The company are called "Civil Enforcement", and have the website https://www.ce-service.co.uk. They state I can appeal in writing or by e-mail, but do not publish an e-mail address.

The company I booked parking with were called 'Parking Spotz", albeit through the Holiday Extras site. I paid by credit card. Parking Spotz' telephone numbers do not even ring; they state not available.

How do people suggest I proceed? Do I pay the fine, and request a chargeback on my card? Not sure if this is over a time limit. Do I appeal the fine? Do I contact Holiday Extras? All of the above?

Thanks!

Jim

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    They state I can appeal in writing or by e-mail, but do not publish an e-mail address.

Their email is on the PCN...where it tells you how to appeal. But I reckon you should simply name the company acting as the keeper/driver of the car on that day, filling in the section about the driver. Name 'Parking Spotz' and their address and attach a COPY of proof of the booking/Airport Transfer contract, as proof.

If you have to post that slip, take a photocopy of it first and keep that along with the receipt from the PO Counter for a free 'certificate of posting' (NOT RECORDED, oh my Lord, not recorded). Keep that proof with the PCN for six years, and use it in your defence of CEL proceed to try to claim from you.

How do people suggest I proceed? Do I pay the fine, and request a chargeback on my card?
    Don't be daft, of course you don't pay.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    its not a "fine" , its an INVOICE , nothing more

give them details of the driver/company who were entrusted with it , therefore NAME THE DRIVER and as RK you have fulfilled your obligations under POFA2012

also read the NEWBIES sticky thread so you understand more about what this sc@m is (and only a fool would pay it)
  • SailingAway
    SailingAway Posts: 13 Forumite
    Thanks chaps!

I've found the e-mail address in tiny writing at the bottom of the letter. They don't ask me who the driver is. I will e-mail them (and post a letter) showing, as you say, that the car was with Parking Spotz and that I refuse to pay.

I will also read the newbies thread :-)
  • Coupon-mad
    They don't ask me who the driver is.

Yes they do, in a slip on the back of the PCN, or in a paragraph asking about it.

You must give Parking Spotz' name and address.
  • SailingAway
    SailingAway Posts: 13 Forumite
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Yes they do, in a slip on the back of the PCN, or in a paragraph asking about it.

You must give Parking Spotz' name and address.

I have sent them a letter with parking spotz name and address. Their form (which I can post an attachment of if necessary) is an A4 sheet of paper, printed, and the 'Payment Slip' at the bottom has sections called "From" and "Address". It states it is to accompany cheques. I'm loathe to fill in their form, as it may indicate acceptance of the charge - hopefully my letter providing Parking Spotz name and address will suffice.
  • Coupon-mad
    Hopefully the letter has the PCN and VRN number and your full name and address on it, as well as Parking Spotz' name and address, and proof of the Airport parking contract?

And we hope the letter was sent at a PO counter, with a free proof of posting certificate (not recorded)?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    These meet and greet companies have featured on watchdog and in the news numerous times for this sort of activity and getting speeding tickets, blowing up engines etc personally I can't see the attraction and wouldn't take the risk.

Good luck, but don't expect much help from Parking Spotz whose registered address is a very ordinary residential property in Burton Latimer.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10056963

Their terms and conditions basically say they aren't responsible for anything:

https://www.parking-spotz.com/terms-and-conditions/
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Much as some of these car parking companies are rogue operators using pub car parks and so on, have you checked to sdee if CEL are complying with the protection of freedoms act?

If CEL have failed to meet the requirements of the protections of freedoms act, then why give them a chance to get at their money?
    If you point CEL at Parking Spotz, then theres every chance some poor minimum wage employee will end up getting the fine docked from his/her wages, and CEL getting their ill gotten gains.

So if CEL have failed to meet the requirements of Sch.4 of the Protection of freedoms act a simple reply, along the lines of

Dear CEL, Re pakring charge notice refxxxxxxxx issued to vehicle registration ABC 123
    I am the registered keeper of the above vehicle, at the time of the parking event to which your invoice refers to I was out of the country, and i have evidence to prove this.
    As your so called parking charge notice fails to meet the strict requirements of the protection of freedoms act, I, as Registered keeper am under no obligation to name ( or attempt to name) the driver on the day, and therefore this matter is closed.
    I am also aware of the Elliot vs Loake case, which some parking companies attempt to use, however that case (EvL) was a criminal case, backed up by forensic evidence and is irrelevant with civil matters.

I am also making a formal request under sch10 of the Data protection act to have my data removed from your system, with the exception of an acknowledgement of this letter I do not expect to hear from you again.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Half_way wrote: »

Dear CEL, Re pakring charge notice refxxxxxxxx issued to vehicle registration ABC 123
    I am the registered keeper of the above vehicle, at the time of the parking event to which your invoice refers to I was out of the country, and i have evidence to prove this.
    As your so called parking charge notice fails to meet the strict requirements of the protection of freedoms act, I, as Registered keeper am under no obligation to name ( or attempt to name) the driver on the day, and therefore this matter is closed.
    I am also aware of the Elliot vs Loake case, which some parking companies attempt to use, however that case (EvL) was a criminal case, backed up by forensic evidence and is irrelevant with civil matters.

I am also making a formal request under sch10 of the Data protection act to have my data removed from your system, with the exception of an acknowledgement of this letter I do not expect to hear from you again.[/I]

NO! In this case, it appears that the meet and greeters are the bigger villains. Look how long they left your car unattended. Goodness knows what else they might have done.

Just give CEL the facts and let the predators fight it out. With a bit of luck, they could both end up with court costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure