FlexAccount to FlexDirect Switch Debacle

Options
On 05/03, I attempted to switch my long-standing current account online from a Nationwide FlexAccount to a FlexDirect using their Account Upgrade feature. You choose the account/card you have (e.g. FlexAccount), and then it tells you which ones to consider (FlexDirect being one of the available choices). Firstly, I was informed that my browser was incompatible and was prevented from using the Account Upgrade feature. I had the same issue on two of the most popular web browsers for desktops - Firefox and Chrome. Strangely, the Internet Banking service allowed me to use this feature on Internet Explorer from a Windows Phone 8, a browser and OS that has not received a security update in more than 2 years!!!

When I eventually got onto the Account Upgrade page, the Address field in the Personal Details section contained a very old address that was used when the FlexAccount was created almost 10 years ago even though I replaced it with my current address back in 2010. The Account Upgrade application specifies that if any of the details need to be changed then I will need to call into my local Nationwide branch. This is simply not possible as I do not have time to do this and defeats the whole purpose of Nationwide Internet Banking having the functionality available to make the switch online. I double-checked my personal details were up-to-date, which they were. So, why is this old address still being kept and displayed as my current address as it contradicts the personal details they have on file. I raised these complaints with the Nationwide team by online message as not being able to process the switch currently prevents me from upgrading my account to receive the interest benefits.

I only received a message back from them on 10/03, which states they hope to resolve the issue by the 2nd of April !!!!
My FlexAccount currently has an interest rate of 0.00% and the FlexDirect has 5.00% so it's obvious why they are stalling on resolving the issue.

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jimjamz82 wrote: »
    On 05/03, I attempted to switch my long-standing current account online from a Nationwide FlexAccount to a FlexDirect using their Account Upgrade feature. You choose the account/card you have (e.g. FlexAccount), and then it tells you which ones to consider (FlexDirect being one of the available choices). Firstly, I was informed that my browser was incompatible and was prevented from using the Account Upgrade feature. I had the same issue on two of the most popular web browsers for desktops - Firefox and Chrome. Strangely, the Internet Banking service allowed me to use this feature on Internet Explorer from a Windows Phone 8, a browser and OS that has not received a security update in more than 2 years!!!

When I eventually got onto the Account Upgrade page, the Address field in the Personal Details section contained a very old address that was used when the FlexAccount was created almost 10 years ago even though I replaced it with my current address back in 2010. The Account Upgrade application specifies that if any of the details need to be changed then I will need to call into my local Nationwide branch. This is simply not possible as I do not have time to do this and defeats the whole purpose of Nationwide Internet Banking having the functionality available to make the switch online. I double-checked my personal details were up-to-date, which they were. So, why is this old address still being kept and displayed as my current address as it contradicts the personal details they have on file. I raised these complaints with the Nationwide team by online message as not being able to process the switch currently prevents me from upgrading my account to receive the interest benefits.

I only received a message back from them on 10/03, which states they hope to resolve the issue by the 2nd of April !!!!
    My FlexAccount currently has an interest rate of 0.00% and the FlexDirect has 5.00% so it's obvious why they are stalling on resolving the issue.
    It's not obvious at all!

They have up to 8 weeks to resolve your complaint, and they will do. Furthermore, they'll bung you £25 for your trouble and credit the account with the interest your balance would have earned had the upgrade been initially successful. In short, you won't be out of pocket...indeed, you'll make a small gain.

Mountain and molehill?...and paranoia? ;)
  • jimjamz82
    jimjamz82 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mountain and molehill?...and paranoia? ;)
    8 weeks? I mean, really!? How incompetent does a building society have to be in order to resolve such a trivial issue? Back in 8 weeks then, but I wish I shared your optimism. Nationwide are not what they used to be.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    8 weeks? I mean, really!? How incompetent does a building society have to be in order to resolve such a trivial issue? Back in 8 weeks then, but I wish I shared your optimism. Nationwide are not what they used to be.
    It's a maximum. Indeed, they said they intend to try and resolve it within 4 weeks. But if you read their complaints process (and that of all other banks/BSs) they have 5 day, 4 week, and 8 week milestones. Standard wording/procedure. It's heavily regulated. ;)

Re the optimism, I speak from personal experience with them (and other banks/BSs). You'll end up in a better situation than you started out at. So no point getting worked up. Mistakes happen...always. The measure of a good bank/BS is what they do to put it right.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You certainly have a high opinion of Nationwide.

I seriously doubt they have the intelligence to slow applications down to avoid some interest payments.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I double-checked my personal details were up-to-date, which they were. So, why is this old address still being kept and displayed as my current address as it contradicts the personal details they have on file.

I had a similar issue with my Nationwide accounts: my surname was spelt incorrectly in some data-base buried deep inside Nationwide's system. All the statements, web-site details and cheque books were correct, but the debit card and the occasional letter were spelt incorrectly. I didn't have a problem with this for twenty years or so, until I wanted to use a Flexaccount as a donor account for a (bonus-generating) switch. Since I could foresee problems with the switch if my debit card details (required for most bank account switches) didn't match, I had a session with Nationwide staff in my local branch; we found the erroneous entry, corrected it and now all my Nationwide cards and correspondence match. So I suggest a talk with Nationwide to check ALL the data-base entries and find the fault.....

[Yes, I know having multiple entries for the same data defies all the rules for DBMS, and it's no excuse for Nationwide's bad practice, but Santander's standing order payment system has a fault that's even worse!]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure