Malware problem

Options
As above I have a problem with malware. For the last few days I have had a recurrence of the same problem. My laptop is fine in the morning, come the evening the web browsers start playing up and I scan with Malwarebytes and have to remove 27 items. I am guessing there must be something left on my laptop after the items are quarantined but I cannot find it.

The other evening I thought I would stay ahead of it, scanned it with Malwarebytes and it was clear, half an hour later the problems started up, scanned it again and there was 27 items to be removed. Can't guarantee it is the same every time but there must be a time trigger there somewhere.

I am using a Windows 10 i3 HP Pavillion, if more details are needed I will have to check.

This is the detail of what Malwarebytes found tonight.

Any help would be appreciated.

104lr14.jpg

2luc284.jpg

307ydt1.jpg
What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare

Comments

• spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ADWCleaner from Malwarebytes, should clean up any problems with your browsers.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Download, install and scan, should only take minutes.

It will reboot and show a log of any infections, you can post the log on here for further help. :)
    The trojan DNS changer is a bit worrying, but wait and see what ADWCleaner finds.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Thank you so much, how did I not know that existed :eek:

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the software, but I know enough to have sat down removing ransomware bit by bit off my old laptop after lending it to my daughter! I really thought I was fairly savvy, this is a bit of a slap in the face :eek:

Anyway, thanks for your help. This is the log, unfortunately a bit untidy as it went across more than the whole page.

w1enm9.jpg

10cp8ac.jpg

5exz7r.jpg

vwv3w9.jpg

2n86bfd.jpg

5tyupy.jpg
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    on top of those two, do a windows disk cleanup, followed by ccleaner (cleaner & registry elements) and manually check your browsers for add-ons/extensions etc. and remove if required. Then run ADWCleaner and MBAM again......the problem being that some of that stuff will sit in temp files and re-activate next time around if you don't fully clean up. Takes a bit of time but worth it :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the old days with something like XP nasties could lurk in system restore. I don't know if that's still possible.

As above but I also use Rogue Killer and Junkware Removal Tool which sometimes picks up things ADWCleaner doesn't.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    And if the above suggestions don't solve it then work through the following:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/malware-removal-guide-for-windows/

If it survives that little lot then I'd take a sledgehammer to your hard drive ;)
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am starting to get annoyed about this, it keeps recurring. Not every night, but frequently, in spite of going through the whole regime each time. I have reduced it to Mbam - adware cleaner - Mbam as it seems to do as much as the whole lot.

Any further hints please. I do have AV in the form of Windows Defender which, I believe, is due to be upgraded to help with this sort of thing.

My main browser is Edge, I find it (normally) quick and simple.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if it was my laptop i would do a factory reset or format/clean install of os
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    if it was my laptop i would do a factory reset or format/clean install of os

Unfortunately that is not currently an option. We will be buying a home cloud shortly, will be able to back up everything and then do a restore, but have always considered that to be a last resort, have always felt, whether rightly or wrongly, that it damages the disc to a small extent.

Don't get me wrong, we do have most things backed up currently, just ran out of storage so we are reduced to using DVDs at the moment.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 March 2017 at 9:52PM
    Options
    https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/
    then
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/
    then malwarebytes
    then remove temp files etc with windows cleanup and ccleaner .
    Personally I would use another antivirus product eg bitdefender/avira/avast , although many say that windows defender is enough not my thoughts though.
    I would also suggest using a modified host file and adblock/ublock but again that is my opinion only.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 9 March 2017 at 11:45PM
    Options
    I've just suffered a malware attack. Fixed after going through various anti-malware progs more than once...damn annoying but I won't repeat what I did - its already been covered above.
    My conclusions :-
    1. a single AV product is not sufficient on its own; (but a good url scanning AV product is Kaspersky)
    2. Firefox + noscript add-on is a good combination to use if you believe java scripting is a source of malware

If you don't have the time to fix your issue I'd do a "windows 10 reset with keep data option"; or could even try a system restore (but note that Anniversary disabled this and so you may not have as many/any restore points to restore too!); note the reset option loses program installations.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure