My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

Options

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    I understand that but Ann isn't getting it at all.

I was trying to redirect her to the person/people who is best placed to sort things or at least inform her of what is happening - and hopefully they can reassure her that things will get sorted in time. Everyone here is clearly failing in that despite valiant efforts and Ann's posts are getting more and more stressed.
    I understand all that. Right from the start of this thread and the other one she started she has had good advice and has not taken it. In particular she urgently needs to get some help with her mental condition to help her tackle her financial problems effectively. Sadly the solution is in her own hands. Desperately sad but that is how I see it.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand all that. Right from the start of this thread and the other one she started she has had good advice and has not taken it. In particular she urgently needs to get some help with her mental condition to help her tackle her financial problems effectively. Sadly the solution is in her own hands. Desperately sad but that is how I see it.

I agree - what alarmed me most was when I read she has no GP or any support. I would hope the family connection might actually help in some way if its re-established. Its clear she takes in very little of what's said on here.
  • mrmechanic
    mrmechanic Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been following this thread and the other one for some time and it seems that they are both going around in circles.
    The same things are being repeated to everyone that is giving advise.
    Ann, you need to take a step back, take a deep breath and relax.
    You are not doing yourself, your situation or your health any favours.
    Give your sisters 2 or 3 weeks without you contacting them in order for them to try and find a solution.
    Do not contact your lawyer for 2 to 3 weeks as you are running up a large legal bill. Your mother left you the money, she didn't leave it to be added to your lawyers bank balance.
    These things take time and you are not listening to the pages of advise already given. Stressing yourself out is not going to make the situation any better, you need to be patient.
    Take the time to have a serious think about what you want to do as far as accommodation goes when you receive the money.It doesn't sound like you have given it much though and are having second thoughts now.
    I do not think giving up your housing association for a private let will be beneficial to your situation and think you will struggle to get anything decent in a decent area for £350-£400 per month.
    To find a decent place will more than likely cost you what you are paying in rent now or maybe more without the added benefit of a secure tennancy
    Use the time you have to plan what is going to be most beneficial to you when the money comes through,it will more than likely take your mind of the "what could be, taking the banks to court and finding another lawyer"
    You have had lots of very good advice through both your threads, do yourself a favour and take a step back.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Go and sign on with a GP, even if you hate them, you can sign on with a different one after you've met them and spoken to them.

[PS it takes a couple of weeks with nearly every GP now to get an appointment]
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Lingua
    Lingua Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Your sister will eventually get better. In the meantime, your inheritance will stay in the executors' account - it isn't going to be taken by anyone, and it's not going to disappear; that money is there waiting, and as soon as Sister B is well again you can access it.

As for what you intend to do with the inheritance, would it not be better to buy a small home and save yourself the cost of renting?

Above all, please try to find a GP service as you are clearly very stressed by this affair (and of course the death of your mother which can be very distressing) and I am sure the opportunity to sit and speak to a medical professional would be helpful.

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a poorly daughter so I don't have time to check the thread.

I know why you want it paid directly to you, but it concerns me that your sister suggested it in the first place (afaik). How are you going to check it is the correct amount?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    Have a poorly daughter so I don't have time to check the thread.

I know why you want it paid directly to you, but it concerns me that your sister suggested it in the first place (afaik). How are you going to check it is the correct amount?

I suppose if it was sent via the OP's solicitor they would insist on seeing the estate accounts and check the amount was correct
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 October 2016 at 1:54AM
    Options
    The account is NOT a joint account. The account is in the name of the executors of the deceased. The signatories do not own the funds but both signatories are required to access the account. The OP has been told this repeatedly. The solution is for someone, either the well sister, or the OP to apply to the court to have the unwell sister removed as executor. Once that has been done Barclays should remove the restriction. If not a court order can be obtained to force them to. It will all take time effort and money. The estate will have to pay the costs.

Well I have never seen my sisters account but from what my well sister told me, I think you are right.
    that's more than likely what it is. An executors account not a joint account.
    Sorry to be negative but I don't think it's necessarily going to be that easy to move back into social housing when your inheritance runs out. You could end up renting in the private sector for the rest of your life, I'm afraid.

What's bad about that?
    As long as I have a decent landlord or letting agency that looks after the property and treats me all right.
    I don't care who my landlord is, Council or Private.

A lot of HA are not are that good anyway.
    There are some issues about HA I am not happy with.
    HA is not the heaven most people hope for.Having to wait ages to get through to them on the phone because it's a call center and then often they are very impersonal and you never speak the same person again.

At least with a letting agent you get more personal service and there are just 4 people in the office.
    You get the same person who deals with your property so they are more likely to know you.

Most people end up homeless and in HA or with the Council because Private accommodation is so expensive and a lot of people like me on benefits cannot afford the deposits they want.

And a lot of landlords don't take DSS.
    If it wasn't for that I would have got out of here a long time ago.

And I am sure most of my neighbors, many who are also on low income or DSS feel the same way as I do.
    And would move to private rented accommodation if they had the choice.

And being in temporary accommodation with the Council is the pits.
    The Council put you with a private landlord which is a letting agency that only takes Council tenants.
    But it's not like being with a private letting agent.

With the Council the letting agent comes round to your home every 2 months to inspect the property and noise in on what you are doing.

Most people including me hated that as it is very intrusive.
    And when I wanted to leave to get a private flat the letting agency would not give me a reference when I asked them because I think they did not want to upset the Council with whom they are acting as puppets for.

That's how it is in a temporary flat with the Council folks.
    Be forewarned!

If I could go back and do it all again, I would never have gone to the Council.
    I would have tried to get another Private flat if I could have.
    I agree - what alarmed me most was when I read she has no GP or any support. I would hope the family connection might actually help in some way if its re-established. Its clear she takes in very little of what's said on here.

That's my fault because I have not been looking for one.
    I should have got myself one when my GP surgery closed 6 months ago at the end of March.

But I was upset with my GP closing and did not want to go to a new GP because I am worried I might end up stuck with a horrible practice.

And also because my mind is on getting my inheritance and then starting a new life. Nothing else.

But now I have to face the fact that I cannot avoid being with a GP forever.

I am on benefits and if the DWP were to review my DLA for PIP as they will do in the future.

Or the DWP write to me asking for Doctors certificates for my benefits which they can also do if they want to-then I will need to have a GP because the DWP will want to write to then for information about my illness and care needs.

So I have got to get a GP, but if it was not for my benefits I would not bother.

As what I have read on the choices website about the few GP's that cover my area has put me right of of going to one.
    They sound awful.

Go and sign on with a GP, even if you hate them, you can sign on with a different one after you've met them and spoken to them.

[PS it takes a couple of weeks with nearly every GP now to get an appointment]

That's all right.
    I don't mind waiting 2 weeks if it is not urgent.
    As I normal only went to my GP to talk about my MH. And what was god about my old GP was that.
    They let me have a double appointment for 20 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
    But some GP won't do that.

I hope I can find a GP that is similar to my last one but that may be hard to find.
    But either way I won't know until I register with one.
    If it is no Good as you say I can always change my GP but with only 3 GP's who cover my area I won't have much of a choice, will I.
    I am not happy with that either.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If the sisters really have got their money they could(probably should) transfer some(1/3) of that which would probably be enough(2/3 each of what is due) to get you started with your plans while they sort out how to release the other 1/3.

if she can transfer to other Barclays accounts then the sis could just route it via her account.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I think that when you've got your inheritance and are looking to make some decisions you should have a read of the 'House buying, selling & renting' board on this forum. You will see a lot of private tenants having problems with private landlords and letting agents, often the same sorts of problems over and over again, and they aren't rare or unusual, pretty much everybody who privately rents for any period of time seems to have issues, and most of them are a lot worse than having to wait a while to get through to a call centre!

I expect that a poll of tenants, both HA and private, would show overwhelmingly that most would rather be in HA properties.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure