Bitcoins

Options

Comments

• dividendhero
    Options
    Why would we want to listen anything Dimon has to say?

The head of a bank that was selling fraudulent mortgages calling a competitor's product a fraud? Hmmm.

Robert Shiller, the Nobel-winning author who predicted the housing and tech bubbles, recently doubled down on his view that bitcoin is a bubble, telling Quartz it was the "best example right now" of one.
  • bottleandahalf
    Options
    I was asking about Dimon, the CEO of the creators of fiat money, who says you can't create money out of thin air.

But now you mention him, is that Schiller who predicts a crash every year? Ha.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Going to dive in with £500. Hopefully watch this rollercoaster bring in some money
    Bitcoin was $4,300 when this thread was started, today 5 days later it's $3,000 or a 30% collapse. Your £500 would now be worth roughly £350
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am going to buy some bitcoin. Could somebody please advise simple way to store the coins. It will be a paper wallet as everything sounds complicated. Does anybody know any secure sites to store or create wallet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Going to dive in with £500. Hopefully watch this rollercoaster bring in some money

First advice, which I think has already been pointed out, it ain't an investment. I bought some earlier this year, and have seen the price go up by almost 300%. In the last couple of weeks the price has dropped about 40% from its high point. That’s £2000 wiped off the value of my Bitcoin.
    I’m not bothered as it’s strictly speculation for me. A one off gamble, for want of a better way of putting it. But instead of winning or losing the lot on the 2.30 at racetrackX, I get to enjoy, or suffer, the ongoing roller-coaster ride.

In answer to your first question, I would say Electrum is quite simple to use. I decided that was better than a paper wallet. If you do, make sure you follow the instructions and write down your seed phrase. If you don’t, you run the risk of losing access to your wallet, and there are several ways to do this, then you’ll lose 100% of your Bitcoin. I learnt this by first hand experience.
    I also keep copies of my wallet on independent drives (flash drive, external hard drive)

You may has missed the optimal time to buy in, if a friend who often references Fibonacci is correct, with the price already up over 10% from today’s low, but I lean more toward another trader friend who says it’s all total carp, or a less polite version. His suggestion on choosing the best time to buy is to write a list of dates & times on pieces of paper, throw them all in a hat and pull one out at random, or something that will produce similar results. You're unlikely to get a better answer.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Bitcoin was $4,300 when this thread was started, today 5 days later it's $3,000 or a 30% collapse. Your £500 would now be worth roughly £350

But if he'd kept it in cash his £500 would be worth nothing because it's like pretend Zionist money, man, plus it's made from baby cows.
  • hramkumar
    Options
    I have been investing in bitcoin and other cryptocurrency for about 3-4 years now. My view on bitcoin is totally different.

People tend to avoid things that they are not aware of, especially it it is highly technical. I am not blaming them.

Buying cryptocurrency or inventing for a long term is a good.

In my opinion bitcoin, ethereum and litecon have huge potential. I myself have invested in all the 3 cryptocurrencies. I have close to $7000 invested in bitcoin and ethereum.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    hramkumar wrote: »
    People tend to avoid things that they are not aware of
    Difficult not to avoid something if you're not aware of it.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    In my opinion bitcoin, ethereum and litecon have huge potential.

A lottery ticket has even more.
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2017 at 10:30AM
    Options
    I have been investing in bitcoin and other cryptocurrency for about 3-4 years now. My view on bitcoin is totally different.

People tend to avoid things that they are not aware of, especially it it is highly technical. I am not blaming them.

Buying cryptocurrency or inventing for a long term is a good.

Perhaps you can be the first person to explain why these should act like good investments? What are they underpinned by? Where does the value come from other than pure speculation?
    In my opinion bitcoin, ethereum and litecon have huge potential.
    Based on what we've seen from cryptocurrencies, the real danger here is that they may well have the potential for very strong returns in the short term precisely because the majority of holders don't understand investments or currencies. In other words, there may be some very sudden upwards surges of value of any cryptocurrencies, but until they stablilise against some commodity or service prices, they're useless as a currency, and while they're useless as a currency they have no objective value.

The problem is that upward surges in cost without a fundamental reason for that upwards surge us entirely unsustainable and will eventually lead to huge price swings and - potentially - complete collapse of the price when people realise en masse just how bad an investment this really is.
    I myself have invested in all the 3 cryptocurrencies. I have close to $7000 invested in bitcoin and ethereum.
    So understandably you want to spread the message to try to validate your decision to invest in these fads and to do your part in ramping up the price.

In reality, what you have bought is a few snippets of code that can be transferred to someone else.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • LTC2017
    LTC2017 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2017 at 3:56AM
    Options
    Was just browsing and this caught my eye.

As with investments or speculative options buying when everyone else is selling is the key to making good profit. I have 3.5k invested and this is sitting at 25k while we let china do its yearly "Throw its toys out the pram" regarding regulation issues.

The big price increases and drops are all tied to news, adoption and updates to the underlying technology. Simple rule for new investors dont panic sell :) and keep up-to-date if your into trading highs and lows.

Its funny how all these "Experts" and major names come forward during some bad news to call it fraud knowing they will get exposure and then are buying the dip...Then you realise that these same guys calling it a fraud have been charged several 100 million in settlements due to all kinds of financial frauds and deceit. There are only 2 reasons why they publicly voice their negative views - They are either playing the market, or feel threatened by its growing scale and acceptance.

To anyone who is genuinely interested, before buying anything read and learn as much as possible about it and then you will have your answer. Cointelegraph is a great news site which will give you some insight into how much this has been developed and to what extent its already merging with our current financial systems.

The fundamental technology behind it is soo much more than "an internet currency" Many banks and Governments around the world already have blockchain teams which are looking at regulation and ways to safely incorporate this into everyday use.

-There is set supply of coins - No printing more bank notes when we feel like it.
    -Every Transaction is broadcast on a public ledger which cannot be altered.
    -You are in control of Your money so can send where you want and to who you want anywhere in the world for a reasonable fee.
    -Much safer for merchants as the buyer cannot issue a charge back.
    -Its unhackable and decentralised (no one can just turn it off)

To the bubble guys - I cant post up the images but check the charts on the start of the Dow Jones comparing to the start of Bitcoin, you will see its almost identical.

If you are genuinely interested educate yourselves before asking buying advice from random internet people, as your getting a very one sided opinion. This includes me :)

ps: This is a volatile market so dont buy and sell with emotions, and as always don't invest what you cant afford to loose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure