Returning shoes after wearing them - painful

I hope someone can advice me on this.

I bought some very expensive shoes online, these are trainers, to be used in the gym.
When I received them, I worn them at the gym but I found them to be uncomfortable/painful.

I took them to one of the nearest stores and explained them the situation but they refused to return those shoes back because they were worn once.

I looked online and if I understand this correctly, I have the right to return shoes back within 14 days for any reason, that could be if the look and feel of those trainers isn't as advertised

Reading their description I felt they are good on a variety of surfaces and good trainers for gym

" hard-wearing, comfortable ride. An Air Sole unit in the heel keeps your feet feeling good with maximum impact protection, while a herringbone traction pattern to the outsole delivers multidirectional movement on a variety of surfaces."

However that isn't the case, something I found out only after testing them at the gym.

What are my rights here?

Thanks

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Im sure that returns right only applies if the goods are in a re-sellable condition.
    Which they wont be if they have been worn
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The idea of comfort when it comes to shoes is highly subject given that there are wide variations in shapes and sizes in peoples feet so I very much doubt you will be able to return them for not being as described or in any way faulty. As you bought them online you are correct you do have the right to return them under the Consumer Contracts Regulations (CCRs) however the seller can deduct an amount to cover any diminished value if your usage has gone beyond what is reasonable. This is determined by the extent of handling you could reasonably expect to do in a shop.
  • Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you, I spoke to the store and they refused to have them returned.
    I spoke to the customer service and they refused as well.

I guess I wasted money on this as I can't use them now.

I understand that comfort is subjective but just by wearing them indoor, especially trainers, you can't tell whether they are suitable.
    The only way to achieve this is to wear/test them.
  • Cpu2007 wrote: »
    Thank you, I spoke to the store and they refused to have them returned.
    I spoke to the customer service and they refused as well.

I guess I wasted money on this as I can't use them now.

I understand that comfort is subjective but just by wearing them indoor, especially trainers, you can't tell whether they are suitable.
    The only way to achieve this is to wear/test them.

If you go to a proper sports shop they can assess your gait so as to recommend an appropriate trainer. You should never buy a trainer without trying it and being sure it is appropriate for your foot shape.

Strictly speaking the retailer cannot refuse your return. However they can reduce any refund to reflect your excessive use (going beyond trying at home) of the shoe, and this reduction can be 100%.

Ebay?
    What are my rights here?

None. Everyone knows that the risk in buying shoes is that you don't find out how comfortable they really are until you've been wearing them for a while. If you buy online without a shop to try them in you're taking an even bigger risk.
  • Cpu2007
    Forumite
    It was JD sport, I tried their shoes and then bought them online as I could get some cashback.
    When I wore them at the store they were fine, all I did walk around a few steps.
    I worn them at the gym after purchasing them online and the top of the shoes rubs against my skin(leg), something not noticeable at the beginning but quite uncomfortable the more you use them.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You had the right to test them at home e.g. On your feet whilst watching tv or having a walk round the carpet.

Wearing them to the gym is beyond the test methods available should you have bought them in a shop.

Your only option is to sell them on perhaps via Facebook or eBay if permitted.

It is always such a gamble buying shoes! Expensive does not guarantee they fit your foot shape unfortuantely.

I always buy Skechers trainers as they fit me so well.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Cpu2007
    Forumite
    I agree with that, but as I mentioned earlier walking around the house doesn't always give a clue about how comfortable shoes will be.
    I can understand how wearing them to the gym is beyond the test methods but if you can't test the for the purpose you bought them then, like you said, shoes are always a gamble.

I bought them because I liked how the looked and my initial impression was they are comfortable, I've learned it the hard way that doing a few steps on trainers doesn't tell you whether they are good or not.
    I agree with that, but as I mentioned earlier walking around the house doesn't always give a clue about how comfortable shoes will be.
    I can understand how wearing them to the gym is beyond the test methods but if you can't test the for the purpose you bought them then, like you said, shoes are always a gamble.

I bought them because I liked how the looked and my initial impression was they are comfortable, I've learned it the hard way that doing a few steps on trainers doesn't tell you whether they are good or not.

Running shops have treadmills you can walk and/or run on to get an idea.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,534
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Running shops have treadmills you can walk and/or run on to get an idea.

When I bought mine they videoed me on the treadmill...there were a number not suited to my feet (in some it looked like I was running with 2 broken ankles!) when spending a large amount of money it is best to get it right for fit and suitability
    Now I know which ones (including separate insoles) I would buy the same ones if I needed to replace
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure