Sonos Equivalent

Options
We've moved into a new house and have realised that we can't play music in one room and hear it in the kitchen, so have been looking into getting an equivalent for Sonos.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, so have no idea if cheaper brands are actually worth it! Have any of you moneysavers had any luck with alternatives to the very expensive sonos systems that you could recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• theburningcat
    Options
    How about Alexa (if you don't mind something listening as well). Amazon have run a lot of offers on them so there is probably a sizeable secondhand market.
  • Brighty
    Brighty Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    How about Alexa (if you don't mind something listening as well). Amazon have run a lot of offers on them so there is probably a sizeable secondhand market.

Unfortunately, you can't sync 2 amazon echo's together, so you can't have the same thing playing in the kitchen and other room.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JS2006 wrote: »
    We've moved into a new house and have realised that we can't play music in one room and hear it in the kitchen, so have been looking into getting an equivalent for Sonos.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, so have no idea if cheaper brands are actually worth it! Have any of you moneysavers had any luck with alternatives to the very expensive sonos systems that you could recommend?

Thanks!

Sonos really is worth the money and nothing in my opinion will beat the sound quality for the price paid.

I have the play 1, Play 5 and the TV soundbar and I wouldnt be without them.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • hop3y
    hop3y Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The reason Sonos is quite costly is because it's so good.

I doubt it can be substituted - I wouldn't buy any other speaker.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People on HotUKDeals appear to rave about Anker Soundcore Bluetooth speakers. the cheaper version can be purchased for around £35, and the Boost which can be purchased for £55-ish. Even though a bit more costly the Boost does look a lot more stylish in my opinion, it also has a bass control button which might be more convenient for some. I've not got either personally, so can't actually say how they sound though one of my brothers has a pair of their earphones and says he is happy with the how they sound. They can also be purchased on Amazon. Check Amazon's returns before purchasing if you do intend getting one just in case you're not happy with your purchase.

I have also recently bought a pair of earphones from Amazon as well that I had to return as I wasn't happy with them and actually found their returns very good. They also tend to use Collect+ for their returns as well which is very convenient. It's just a matter of printing off a return form, then taping that to your parcel, and then all you need to do is find your nearest Collect+ store, they will then give you receipt for your return. Make sure to keep the receipt.

Not sure what the procedure is with these speakers though with regards to returns though as I've said, make sure to check as you may need to contact the seller first as the speakers are actually sold by AnkerDirect though are actually fulfilled by Amazon. AnkerDirect is what you might call a third party seller, with third party seller items you would normally have to contact the seller first before returning though I also believe items sold under with the label "fulfilled by Amazon" are treated as if they were purchased directly from Amazon. I also understand that Amazon are also changing their returns soon too to help make it easier for their customers to return stuff too, do check all the same.

Good luck with what you decided purchasing.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=anker+soundcore
  • sarah1972
    Options
    People on HotUKDeals appear to rave about Anker Soundcore Bluetooth speakers. the cheaper version can be purchased for around £35, and the Boost which can be purchased for £55-ish. Even though a bit more costly the Boost does look a lot more stylish in my opinion, it also has a bass control button which might be more convenient for some. I've not got either personally, so can't actually say how they sound though one of my brothers has a pair of their earphones and says he is happy with the how they sound. They can also be purchased on Amazon. Check Amazon's returns before purchasing if you do intend getting one just in case you're not happy with your purchase.

I have also recently bought a pair of earphones from Amazon as well that I had to return as I wasn't happy with them and actually found their returns very good. They also tend to use Collect+ for their returns as well which is very convenient. It's just a matter of printing off a return form, then taping that to your parcel, and then all you need to do is find your nearest Collect+ store, they will then give you receipt for your return. Make sure to keep the receipt.

Not sure what the procedure is with these speakers though with regards to returns though as I've said, make sure to check as you may need to contact the seller first as the speakers are actually sold by AnkerDirect though are actually fulfilled by Amazon. AnkerDirect is what you might call a third party seller, with third party seller items you would normally have to contact the seller first before returning though I also believe items sold under with the label "fulfilled by Amazon" are treated as if they were purchased directly from Amazon. I also understand that Amazon are also changing their returns soon too to help make it easier for their customers to return stuff too, do check all the same.

Good luck with what you decided purchasing.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=anker+soundcore

But I don't think you can link them which is what the OP wants?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    But I don't think you can link them which is what the OP wants?

Fair enough though I don't see anything in their opening post to suggest this. Obviously my mistake all the same.

Thanks for pointing this out nevertheless.
  • JS2006
    JS2006 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions! Although it would be great to link them, as long as they can play from a playlist like Sonos, I guess it would do for the kitchen?
  • sarah1972
    Options
    JS2006 wrote: »
    Fair enough though I don't see anything in their opening post to suggest this. Obviously my mistake all the same.

Thanks for pointing this out nevertheless.

Play music in one room and hear it in the kitchen, so have been looking into getting an equivalent to Sonos.

Maybe I assumed wrong but the only way you could do that it by linking speakers like the Sonos ?

The cheaper bluetooth speakers are ok if your not fussy about the sound quality and wont play the same playlist in each room at the same time.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love Sonos and would live to have the whole house kitted out with it but it's just so expensive.

Instead we have Logitech UE Boom speakers they have great sound for portable speakers, in fact better than a lot of non portable ones and they can be linked in "party" mode allowing you to use a single speaker, set up two in stereo or group several together to have the same playing throughout the house.

we only have four of them so either have them spaced out around the house and garden if we are listening to the same music or link up two each in stereo for us to use in one room each if we are listening to different music. The pairing with them can be a bit of a pain with them not always recognising each other (you can also name each speaker through the app to help with party management so we have Alun, Dave, George, and Bernard) we regularly have to do a hard reset to get them fully syncing again but when they work the sound is great.

They are still not cheap but are half the price of Sonos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure