Real life MMD: Should I charge my bro?

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 14 February 2012 at 9:22PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my bro for his PPI claim?

This question was tweeted to Martin, so we thought we'd put it out there for collective wisdom. "My brother's asked me to do his PPI claim for him. I was thinking of asking for 10% of the money he'll get back. Do you think I should charge more? Is it worthwhile for me?" It's worth remembering you can do it yourself for free via the PPI reclaiming guide — yet go through a company and they'll take 25%+ of your winnings.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• svmitche
    svmitche Posts: 592 Forumite
    Erm, sorry if this sounds offensive but THIS IS YOUR BROTHER! Sit down with him and take him through the process. I can't actually believe you're thinking of charging him 10% or more!

Why not say you'll go round for dinner - he's buying - and you'll help him? Planning on what percentage you'd going to rip him off for is bang out of order...
    I'm so sexy it's a wonder my underpants don't explode.
  • Charging him, seriously?!

I have helped family members with many things, including financial issues, and they have helped me with a great many things too - isn't that what families do?
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your brother!

Who pays the postage when you send him a birthday card?

Or does he buy his own and get you to sign it? (for a fee of course :eek:)
  • How mean can you get wanting to charge your brother to claim his PPI for him.......I volunteered to do the probate for my inlaws because a will wasn't left which would have made things so much easier.....it took five months to do this because I have never done a probate before so I had to research how to do it nevertheless I wouldn't have ever charged them for my services and they were only my IN-LAWS.....let us hope you need his help soon and see what his reaction is............
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Without even reading the responses yet:-

If it's 'give and take' with your Brother, certainly not.
    If your Brother is a 'user', most certainly yes.

My relatives were very happy to call upon my skills, as a favour to them. What they failed to realise was, there were so many, that they were taking time off me for doing things for my own home and family. I had to start becoming 'unavailable'.

About a week ago, I was taxed with working on family members computers. I was working on my Grandson's computer when my Cousin phoned, having fallen for the scam of "I'm from Microsoft, and you've got a virus on your computer".
    Quickly, I told him to change all his passwords and any recorded bank account details on his computer, but then had to shut him off as my Wife was just serving our evening meal.
    After eating, he rang again, and I had to put him off, as I was working on my Grandsons computer, and he needed to get on with his course work. My Cousin seemed quite put out that I said I couldn't help at that time.
    That would have been six computers worked on, in one week, and knowing my Cousin, would have meant a 40 mile trip each way, to deal with his.

So, as I say, if your Brother is a 'user', charge him!
    The question is also, is he too idle or stupid to do the job himself?

(Somehow.... I always seem to end up 'out of pocket' helping family as well. Travelling etc.)
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    P.S.As a pensioner now, being left 'out of pocket' is not on.
  • I fail to see how this is a dilemma.

You are simply looking to make a quick buck out of money your brother has been fraudulently relieved of.

Thankfully you're not my sibling!
  • ayayay
    ayayay Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm a solicitor and get this all the time with friends: "can you assist with a little legal matter?". I don't mind the odd word of advice but sometimes I'm asked to draft letters and all sorts. The thing is no-one would dream of asking a builder, plumber, electrician to come round the house and work for free for half a day.

Having said that, a brother might be a bit different. I think though if I was the brother I would offer 10% from my windfall as a thankyou.
  • You don't know how close they are and you don't know how much work will be involved.
    If the brother is just being lazy and I was busy I'd expect something, maybe not a percentage but I'd want a thank you in the form of something.
    I have 2 sisters, 1 I never see and 1 I don't see very often. If either of them asked me to do something I'd expect something in return.
    My family aslways want and never reciprocate, after years and years of this it begins to grate and if the opportunity arose to finally get something back from them I'd take it.
  • "My brother's asked me to do his PPI claim for him. I was thinking of asking for 10% of the money he'll get back. Do you think I should charge more? Is it worthwhile for me?"

A: You know your relationship with your brother best. You will need to decide if it's appropriate to charge him and at what level.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure